Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        The Elusive Harpy

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The Elusive Harpy

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-06-2015 09:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey there, I'm kinda new here. I've been tinkering with modding old Q3 files and such. In anycase, I recently have been working on modding Hunter, including all of her variant models. Yet to my surprise, after changing the textures and such, Harpy turns up invisible. After carefully looking at the files, it seems that there are missing image files. Yet, what's even more perplexed is that the original hunter hiearchy files in the pak0.pak file, the image files aren't even listed there either yet Q3 is able to make Harpy visible. What I wanna know is WTF is the game reading the files?

As you can tell by the information in this image, Q3 lists image files in the .skin documents but aren't located anywhere in the pak0.pak file. Any help would be appreciated to help solve this vexing mystery.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-06-2015 10:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry to say but, you lost Harpy. Until you reinstall Quake 3 in another folder and find Harpy files there to put in your buggy PAK0.pk3.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-06-2015 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I lost Harpy, then how is she showing up in the first place. I thought my Quake III files might have been buggy, but then I downloaded ioquake version and that too is missing files, and like the original Q3 game, Harpy shows up despite missing files. I wonder if many Q3 variant games might experience such similar problems.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-06-2015 10:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought the harpy files might have been in the later pk3 files... not so... but I did find:

pak0.pk3\models\players\hunter\hunter_f.tga
    pak0.pk3\models\players\hunter\hunter_h.tga

So I am guessing the harpy image files simply are not used, and the hunter ones instead.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-06-2015 10:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ops, I though that Harpy wasn't showing up in the game.
In any case, you don't need to worry if it does. It probably has no problems so don't worry. There is some stuff we just can't or shouldn't know of.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-06-2015 10:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
I thought the harpy files might have been in the later pk3 files... not so... but I did find:

pak0.pk3\models\players\hunter\hunter_f.tga
    pak0.pk3\models\players\hunter\hunter_h.tga

So I am guessing the harpy image files simply are not used, and the hunter ones instead.

In that case, it stands to make sense that there is some other text file overriding the ones that supposedly directs the body connection via harpy images.

Gustavo6046 wrote:
Ops, I though that Harpy wasn't showing up in the game.
In any case, you don't need to worry if it does. It probably has no problems so don't worry. There is some stuff we just can't or shouldn't know of.

Well, as a test, I extracted all of the Hunter files into its own pk3 file and then put it in the base folder, and when choosing harpy from the isolated file, she shows up invisible, but she shows up fine when choosing the harpy version from the default pk3 file.

That's the situation I see now. For now I can simply redirect the connection to the hunter default image files, but I'm just darn curious as to what's overriding the harpy .skin files.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-06-2015 10:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

models/players/hunter/harpy + harpy_h + harpy_f are shader generated. There are no corresponding TGA files.

See: models.shader
Code:
models/players/hunter/harpy
{
        {
                map textures/effects/envmaproc.tga
                tcGen environment
                rgbGen lightingdiffuse
        }
        {
                map models/players/hunter/hunter2.tga
                blendFunc blend
                rgbGen lightingdiffuse
        }
}

models/players/hunter/harpy_h
{
        {
                map textures/effects/envmaproc.tga
                tcGen environment
                rgbGen lightingdiffuse
        }
        {
                map models/players/hunter/hunter_h.tga
                blendFunc blend
                rgbGen lightingdiffuse
        }
}

models/players/hunter/harpy_f
{
      surfaceparm   nodraw
}

It's simply Hunters TGAs combined with envmaproc.tga using alpha-blend.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-06-2015 10:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's what it was all the time!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.