Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-16-2015 11:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Max Max: Fury Road
Image / 10

See it in theatres. Support good movies and directors.

WTF is that, VR Guitar Hero? Image

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 05-17-2015 12:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's the Doof Warrior; highlight of the movie

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-17-2015 12:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-17-2015 05:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can we ban that smilie?

PostPosted: 05-17-2015 09:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can we just ban DTS?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-19-2015 10:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes

Also Focus is terrible, like all Will Smith movies.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-19-2015 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Can we ban that smilie?

you didn't get the memo

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-19-2015 11:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mad Max - Fury Road

Mental/10

I don't even...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-21-2015 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That really is a lesson in how to make an action movie

Well fucking played !. I might give a proper write up at some point but I was impressed by how he can tell a story with so little dialogue, which obviously has a lot in common with the original series and I thought Fury Road went a little further.

I have some [LOL RACISM] criticisms, but really the good far outweighs the bad. Film of the year so far ?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-21-2015 07:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More like film of the decade

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-21-2015 10:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Mad Max - Fury Road

Mental/10

I don't even...

I just returned from the movie theatre and one word sums my experience and that is awesome.

Look, I didn't think much of the part played by this Tom Hardy perhaps as he spoke little :smirk: but Hugh Keays-Byrne did a splendid performance.
I easily recognized the face.

Go see it.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-22-2015 02:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aye :D

Which is more than can be said for Mel Gibson

Captain Mazda wrote:
More like film of the decade

I'm gonna watch again (and again) but it's a good shout :up:. It's defo the best action film in the last decade by a long shot n all.

Really fantastic movie, I hope it does well in the theaters.

Any other director would've gone into details of the other tribes, revisited Maxs background and inner demons, his relationships then discussed how it became a wasteland. Miller managed to give you enough for it to be established and concentrated on the important stuff with strong characters, stunning visuals whilst creating an awesome world.

This is why (don't shoot me again) I liked Pacific Rim (minus the love interest) and why Michael Bay isn't as bad as a lot make him out to be IMO, I'm not saying he's a great director or that it's a great movie, they both have major flaws but when shooting action they're throwbacks to the old methods of action films - in that the story is established but isn't over complicated and the action takes point, and they do good action, creating a decent world with a focus on strong actors it's just establishing a story tends to be rather shit. Miller pretty much embarrassed modern directors with this film though, excluding DREDD which is another film that I think managed to stand tall.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 05-22-2015 03:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-22-2015 02:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Going Clear 8/10

The doc about scientology that's been in the news lately. Not much news for me per se, but it's a well made documentary.

Tom Cruise has quite a troubling relationship with Miscavage... who is a very very frightning person indeed. I'm still hoping the scientology church will be forbidden in the eurozone some day as the dangerous cult that they are, but even though France and Germany (iirc) illegalized it a complete ban is still a pipedream at this stage.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-22-2015 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ffs why do we need to ban it? let it fall on its own retarded merits

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-22-2015 04:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If we were talking about an actual religion i'd agree completely, but this is a cult pure and simple. These folks really go out of their way to abuse weak minded people - they reel them in and suck them completely dry over the course of many years, cut them off from their families, etc. The church is apparently worth billions in cash and real estate, money they get from their members, their special tax status and by not paying their workforce a goddamn dime. Don't think they're dangerous in a direct physical way, but man, they sure know how to screw people over in just about every other way.

This might be a philosophical difference of opinion, i feel a state should attempt to protect it's populace against parasitic organisations like these. Whereas you might feel that cults are perfectly fine and should be allowed as long as they don't break the law directly?

A ban would make me very happy indeed, but opening investigations into the worrying reports of child abuse and tax evasion would also be nice.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-22-2015 05:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
If we were talking about an actual religion i'd agree completely, but this is a cult pure and simple. These folks really go out of their way to abuse weak minded people - they reel them in and suck them completely dry over the course of many years, cut them off from their families, etc. The church is apparently worth billions in cash and real estate, money they get from their members, their special tax status and by not paying their workforce a goddamn dime. Don't think they're dangerous in a direct physical way, but man, they sure know how to screw people over in just about every other way.

This might be a philosophical difference of opinion, i feel a state should attempt to protect it's populace against parasitic organisations like these. Whereas you might feel that cults are perfectly fine and should be allowed as long as they don't break the law directly?

A ban would make me very happy indeed, but opening investigations into the worrying reports of child abuse and tax evasion would also be nice.

Check this out Ryoki:
http://www.npo.nl/rambam/20-05-2015/VARA_101373248

Sorry non-Dutch speakers, it's entirely in Dutch

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-22-2015 05:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

L. Ron Hubbard wrote:
Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wanted to make a million dollars, the best way to do it would be start his own religion.

PostPosted: 05-22-2015 05:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Going Clear 8/10

The doc about scientology that's been in the news lately. Not much news for me per se, but it's a well made documentary.

Tom Cruise has quite a troubling relationship with Miscavage... who is a very very frightning person indeed. I'm still hoping the scientology church will be forbidden in the eurozone some day as the dangerous cult that they are, but even though France and Germany (iirc) illegalized it a complete ban is still a pipedream at this stage.

better ban the muzzies first tho

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-22-2015 05:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Check this out Ryoki:
http://www.npo.nl/rambam/20-05-2015/VARA_101373248

Sorry non-Dutch speakers, it's entirely in Dutch

Aye saw that one before i saw the other one - had a bit of a scientology evening so to speak :)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-22-2015 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:

so if we were talking about a collection of fairytales dreamed up 2,000 years ago that leads people to do bizarre things rather a collection of fairytales dreamed up recently that leads people to do bizarre things... :arrow: :dts: <-

there's a debate to be had about whether any religious group should be entitled to tax breaks, but for all its retardation the church of scientology is a group people join of their own free will, and in a free society there's such a thing as freedom of conscience

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-22-2015 12:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched a couple movies on the plane.

Birdman: 7/10
Pretty good, but Oscar worthy? I do really like Michael Keaton.

There Will Be Blood: 8/10
Finally got to see this one. Can't beat D.D.L...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-22-2015 11:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
but for all its retardation the church of scientology is a group people join of their own free will, and in a free society there's such a thing as freedom of conscience

I don't agree. Scientology knowingly preys on the weak and puts people under enormous psychological pressure. During this, they build up a dossier with very private information that is actively being used as leverage (blackmail) to keep people under control of the church.

People may come into contact with Scientology out of free will, but from there on out, the jaws of Scientology close around your neck and won't let go.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-25-2015 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spent £21 a ticket to see Mad Max in the IMAX

worth every fucking penny. GREAT film.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-25-2015 08:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

21 quid? WTF man, did they wipe your butt after you went to the toilet or something?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-25-2015 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spooks: The Greater Good - lame/10 - based off the old TV show. apparently the writers didn't realise that the more downbeat your thriller goes, the more the plausibility requirement goes up

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-25-2015 03:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Avengers Age of Ultron: Meh. The first one was better. But still lots of cool CGI battles.

PostPosted: 05-25-2015 04:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:

lol seen it 3 times. I think that's enough for me now.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-26-2015 01:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:

The BFI at Waterloo by any chance? Think that's where I'll see it next.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-26-2015 03:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh no, went to the Odeon in Swiss Cottage. We walked along the canal and then up through Regent's Park.

Their audio levels were a bit off, if I'm being picky. The treble when the crowds were cheering at the beginning and the end were a much too shrill and slightly hurt our ears, it's a small thing but enough so we'll try the BFI next.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 05-26-2015 07:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Montage of Heck - 8/10 - major nostalgia trip, and painfully candid at times (i.e. watching Kurt Cobain nodding off high on heroin while holding his baby). Impressed how the story was told as if we didn't know the ending, rather than just being aimed at his eventual suicide like some Greek tragedy

shame they didn't get Dave Grohl's contribution in time though

i have that sitting on my DVR. made it about half-way through and had to give it a rest. really good, but pretty heavy.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-27-2015 12:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Mad Max - Fury Road

Mental/10

I don't even...

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/05/27/mad- ... ated-gta-5

:cool:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-27-2015 03:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mad Max
stuff exploded in colourful fashion.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-27-2015 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't expect much from Mad Max, but I'm totally going to see it based on this thread.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 05-27-2015 04:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Everyone should go see Mad Max, 10/10.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-27-2015 06:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.