Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        TTY

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: TTY

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 04:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm finally getting a TTY so I can make phone calls, its going to be wonderful to be able to talk to people on the phone
http://www.abouttty.com/
I posted a link just in case any of you didn't know what a TTY was

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 04:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm the leader of this clan

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 04:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lars is texting now. :up:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 05:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yay

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am deaf so need to use TTY to make phone calls

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 11:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good on you sir

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 03:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This guy has been posting here for 16 yrs and nobody knew he was deaf?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 03:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

on the internet, no one can hear you post

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 05:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*LOL* I just never mentioned it I figured being old, well older than most of you here when I started posting was enough without adding that I was deaf. I guess I was just so pleased to finally get a TTY that I had to mention it to someone and you guys and girls were the some one so thanks for hearing me out or maybe I should say reading :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 05:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pretty sure you mentioned your hearing problems a few times. pretty sure tho.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I may have MKJ its been so long that I can't remember, another fault of old people

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 05:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't know this, Lars!
Does it convert speech to text and vice versa? Or do you speak into the telephone yourself?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you always been deaf?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 06:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Our very own deaf person! How fun!

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I didn't know this, Lars!
Does it convert speech to text and vice versa? Or do you speak into the telephone yourself?

He posted a link just in case any of us didn't know what a TTY was...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 08:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, clicking links...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 08:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who still has a land line in their home? With texting and the internet you'd think a TTY service would be obsolete.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 12:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
lol, clicking links...

I must remember that.

YourGrandpa wrote:
Who still has a land line in their home? With texting and the internet you'd think a TTY service would be obsolete.

I still have a landline to support ADSL but soon they promise fibre to the home and just for you xer0s :) Clicky

Hey lars63, I was not aware of the hearing issue but all have failings or will have.

I am familiar with the TTY technology as years ago when I was a telecom technician (both before and after jail) and we had similar devices. When I was an amateur radio enthusiast we had (similar) tech where we typed on a Tandy TRS80 :eek: and transmitted text over HF radio. The PC converted the characters into Morse code before being transmitted. Anyone with the setup (or listening) could tune into a Morse conversation and decipher. It was pretty exciting stuff in those days.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 01:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TTYL

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

When's the last time you texted your bank? Or any local stores, for that matter? I still get a busy signal every once in a while; call waiting still isn't ubiquitous, let alone making the leap to smartphones. Yes, some more forward-thinking businesses have internet storefronts which allow you to skip a step, but until everyone does it, some people will get left out. It's kinda like handicap ramps at store entrances. :shrug:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
YourGrandpa wrote:

When's the last time you texted your bank? Or any local stores, for that matter? I still get a busy signal every once in a while; call waiting still isn't ubiquitous, let alone making the leap to smartphones. Yes, some more forward-thinking businesses have internet storefronts which allow you to skip a step, but until everyone does it, some people will get left out. It's kinda like handicap ramps at store entrances. :shrug:

You can bank online and check a stores inventory/selection or shop online. You can do most of the things you need with a smart phone or PC. Anything you can't you'd have to go to the establishment anyway.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 03:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Have you always been deaf?

I worked 14 years in the shipyards around sandblasting, I was a painter down there and all the noise made me deaf, when my hearing got to bad that they were worried about my safety they let me go, after that I worked for FMC painting box cars until they found out how little I could then they let me go and after that I worked for a container outfit at the rail yards until I got hit by a truck that I didn't hear and after that I had to go on SS because my hearing got so bad that everyone had to write to me until I got hearing aids about six months ago, its wonderful to be able to talk to people again and actually hear sounds and now its the TTY life is good (smile)

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser, they are right I type to a TTY operator who then tells the person I'm talking to what I typed then the operator types to me what the person said in return

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does such a contraption exist that combines a hearing aid with a phone in a way that would allow you to hear people on the phone directly?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 05:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Telecoil ?, they use them in shops in the UK for hearing assistance.

I've never seen them used but I think they work by transmitting a wireless signal from the phone to the hearing aid. Never seen them on mobiles, but then I wouldn't have reason to.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Does such a contraption exist that combines a hearing aid with a phone in a way that would allow you to hear people on the phone directly?

In my telecom days we supplied hearing aid compatible telephones at no charge. They had 'coils' providing a varying magnetic field that aided the use of hearing aids. We even had a section specifically dealing with designing and manufacturing (altering) telephones for those with a variety of disabilities eg. phones that when ringing operated a relay to power lighting to the deaf could 'see' the telephone ringing. Another adaption were large dials, push button dial pads that mimicked decadic dialing, that is the 10 impulse per second regular round dial phones and this before 'push button phones and MFC signalling (tone dialing). Exciting days.

Goodness knows if anyone does this sort of stuff now for regular customer but I guess they do and charge for it as there is a market.

**** I have come to understand that hearing aids (in the ear) only amplify and that these do not benefit people with hearing loss or "the deaf".

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 05:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Crazy if your stores don't offer them mate. Over here it's like a desirable requirement for disabled access in our trading laws.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 05:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Crazy if your stores don't offer them mate. Over here it's like a desirable requirement for disabled access in our trading laws.

They might offer but thankfully I don't have need yet.

Side notation: My Wife says I am getting hard of hearing whereas I don't think so. Some call it selective deafness :)
I have been tested and I am OK statistically but my Mother has problems hearing so do I hope it is not heredity.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 07:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Side notation: My Wife says I am getting hard of hearing whereas I don't think so. Some call it selective deafness :)

:smirk:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
both before and after jail

Wait, you were in jail? Would you be willing to tell us the story on that?

First we find out Lars is deaf, now Whiskey's been to jail... next we're going to learn that Goof, having already lost one ball is going to give in and go full trans. This place is full of surprises.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 09:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:
both before and after jail

Wait, you were in jail? Would you be willing to tell us the story on that?.

No, Whiskey worked in a jail as guard. That, I do know.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 11:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Wait, you were in jail? Would you be willing to tell us the story ....

I haven't laughed so much in years :tear:
:arrow: obsidian, you just have to keep up here.

Employment history for the memories

Survey technician - 2 years
Apprentice Telecommunications Technician and Technician - 5 years
Prison Officer and Senior Prison Officer - 10 years
Telecommunication Technician advancing to Senior Telecommunications Technical Officer and Fault Manager - 17 years
:eek: redundancy at 51 years old
Employment Agency Contractor to the Local City Council as a Works Dispatcher then employed full time/permanent and promoted to Team Leader and Logistics Officer - 5 years

I am proud and rather lucky that I had not been unemployed in my working life :D ending some 3 years ago :p

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-08-2016 12:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any stories from prison Whisk ?, we could make this a weekly event ?

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 04-08-2016 03:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fun fact: Whiskey hooped his lunch everyday to take it to work.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 04-08-2016 06:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:

My hearing is so bad or at least the speech part of it that I'm not sure it would help, something to look into though, they have also suggested implants .

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.