Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the movie is out if you know where to D/L it, it's 730MB and the quality is awesome :)

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 06:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i don't know where... send me a pm

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sry B, they removed it cause it contained a virus

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 07:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Philistines

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-31-2015 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
Saw the original The Thing on 70mm at the cinema last night. The print had lost its blue hues a bit so it was all quite a lot more more pink than it should have been, but that aside the actual definition was absolutely great and the sound? holy fuck :!:

They don't make 'em like that anymore. What a film.

Rob Bottin (Botine, Bottine) should have won an oscar for the defibrilator/chest/spider-head scene. It is one of the most iconic practical efftecs scenes in history on par if not better executed than the mutation on American Werewolve and everything Harryhausen did.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 10-31-2015 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Beasts of No Nation 9/10

Straight to stream this one, which would suggest it shouldn't be much good perhaps. Fortunately it's actually damn good - the best war movie i've seen in at least a few years. Liked the acting, liked the plot, liked almost everything about it really. And some shots (there's one at the end for instance, where the main character slouches through a thrench system to get ammo for the machine gun, cigarette dangling from his lips, a helmet that's too big for his twelve year old head) are just superbly done and very memorable... excellent, excellent stuff.

Pretty much the only complaint i can think of is the at times ridiculous sounding African English, just use some native language or even French or whatever.

It's taking me a long time to watch this--I'm not sure why. I've finished half of it. Will watch the rest some other day.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 11-01-2015 08:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Gift (2015)

It wasn't especially bad, but it wasn't very good either. Unnecessary jump scares and the plot wasn't consistent or streamlined. I expected better.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-04-2015 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bridge of Spies

Quote:
During the Cold War, an American lawyer is recruited to defend an arrested Soviet spy in court, and then help the CIA facilitate an exchange of the spy for the Soviet captured American U2 spy plane pilot, Francis Gary Powers. ... Tom Hanks, Mark Rylance, Alan Alda.

The role of the Russian spy is done very well by Mark Rylanc and of course Toms Hanks always does a top job.
Great and solid movie
9/10
IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-07-2015 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Last King of Scotland

Quote:
Based on the events of the brutal Ugandan dictator Idi Amin's regime as seen by his personal physician during the 1970s

The start was a little slow but it built interest as it progressed.

Forest Whitaker was good as Idi Amin.
James McAvoy who played the part of the young Scottish doctor who travels to Uganda and becomes the personal physician to president Idi Amin, I am not familiar with.
Gillian Anderson (Scully - X Files), I saw her name in the credits but really didn't recognise here in her brief movie appearances.

Worth your time? Yes. 6.5/10

IMDB

plained
plained
PostPosted: 11-17-2015 04:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

redline
redline
PostPosted: 11-17-2015 10:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trainwreck (2015)

Very disappointed in this one. Boring and mediocre. The script is weak and inconsistent. Dialogue is either stale or overblown.

Don't waste two hours on this.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 11-17-2015 11:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was funny for the first 45 minutes and then it slowly became shit, I was like "wtf is going on?" and then I realized that it's a fucking Judd Apatow movie. Fuck that softie faggot.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-18-2015 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spectre

Yes, the James Bond movie.
What can anyone say but predictably a Bond movie and entertaining enough to keep you seated.

7.5/10

Rotten Tomatoes

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-18-2015 10:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Spectre

Yes, the James Bond movie.
What can anyone say but predictably a Bond movie and entertaining enough to keep you seated.

7.5/10

Rotten Tomatoes

predictably

i'm sure sure you meant

predictability

:P

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-18-2015 11:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Predictability is a super power :olo:
I used the word predictably in the correct way. Try http://dictionary.reference.com/ for correct English :D

predictably = adverb
predictability = noun

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-19-2015 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

aye, i found my mistake reading this when sober

blow me :p

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-19-2015 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

don't wanna hijack this thread, but does anybody remember the name of a movie where they put a hot iron metal mask on the guys face ?

and no it's not iron mask

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-19-2015 07:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was it a movie?
There have been 3 movies that I know of...

The Man in the Iron Mask (1939 film)
The Man in the Iron Mask (1977 film)
The Man in the Iron Mask (1998 film)

Let me Google that for you

PostPosted: 11-19-2015 08:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
don't wanna hijack this thread, but does anybody remember the name of a movie where they put a hot iron metal mask on the guys face ?

and no it's not iron mask

Dr. doom?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-19-2015 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@whiskey7 and feedbag, no.

i should have it on my DVD and BR discs but it's too much shit to sift through atm.

was hoping someone would know

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-19-2015 09:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love a challenge :smirk:

Here's a list from a Wiki. I am thinking if it is a movie it must be one of them.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-19-2015 09:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nope not there

i'll go through the discs when i wake up

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 11-28-2015 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Movie I watched recently "Dances With Wolves"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099348/

I'm not a big Kevin Costner fan but he did rather well in this movie I think

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 11-28-2015 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One more up for nomination as a good movie to watch
"The Usual Suspects"
had me guessing to the very end, I like that

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114814/

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-12-2015 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

Yes the first of the trilogy that has now grown to how many? Not the first time I've seen it of course but it has to be like 20 years since I last viewed. Some scenes and details I just didn't recall seeing before.

.... and no, I didn't have it on betamax or VHS but an old DVD, goodness knows how old. I have them all and intend to relive the series before seeing the new one. I will let the crowds dissipate as I like my movies quite. Kids on school holidays here for 6 - 8 weeks :smirk:

I was shocked to realise it is 38 years old :eek:

Classic. 8/10

IMDB

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 12-12-2015 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
I have them all and intend to relive the series before seeing the new one.

Then check this out: The machete order

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-12-2015 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ that's a great good approach :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-12-2015 03:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:

Thanks Pext :up:
Great minds think alike: I asked Goggle the same thing yesterday :D
http://scifi.stackexchange.com/question ... be-watched

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-12-2015 04:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
When watching Jedi immediately after watching Revenge of the Sith, the message is clear: Luke Skywalker is on the path to the Dark Side.

'cause Luke's robe going from light to dark over the course of the original trilogy wasn't obvious enough?
The Machete Order is a fine way of watching the movies, but anyone who needs it to catch this plotline is a moron.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 12-12-2015 09:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:
I have them all and intend to relive the series before seeing the new one.

Watching it in that order from a friend's suggestion prior to Ep. 7 :up:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 12-13-2015 06:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Quote:
When watching Jedi immediately after watching Revenge of the Sith, the message is clear: Luke Skywalker is on the path to the Dark Side.

'cause Luke's robe going from light to dark over the course of the original trilogy wasn't obvious enough?
The Machete Order is a fine way of watching the movies, but anyone who needs it to catch this plotline is a moron.

I'm not so sure if it is actually the path to the dark side . If the writers are smart about it , they will pick up the conflict between the dark side and the light side not only by displaying lightsabre duels but also on a conceptual level : This prophecy about 'restoring the balance to the force' cited in Ep.1 can not be considered as a specimen of the the usual fantasy prophecies; While these tend to reveal the protagonist to be the destined child that will destroy evil in the end, in this case - the star wars unsiverse at the time of Ep.1 - the light side is obviously dominating and so 'restoring the balance' would actually mean a shift towards the dark side. Furthermore, in Eps. 1 to 3 the jedi order is exhibiting behaviour more associated with the dark side: While senator palpatine is using political tools like econimic sanctions and elections to advance his agenda, the jedi mostly resort to violence .

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-13-2015 08:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This guy has an interesting theory
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8392698

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-13-2015 10:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The problem with this theory is that it's no longer Lucas's story. It's now J.J.'s story. So even if Lucas had Luke turning to the dark side at the end of RotJ, that doesn't mean J.J. will follow through with that. I think he knows what the fans want and the majority would be upset about a dark Luke...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-13-2015 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tbh I can see JJ going that road even if Lucas didn't plan it, he did dismantle the entire Star Trek universe after all.

I don't think Lucas had Luke going to the dark side though. I can think of quite a few reasons why but part of his story was how he was going to battle it mentally, through all 3 films and how he will overcome it - which he eventually did and brought Anakin back from the dark side. So it's no surprise Luke was flirting with the dark side from time to time as temptation which culminates when faced with the choice of killing Vader. If Luke did turn they might aswell have had the rebels losing.

Eps 1,2 and 3 were made after n all and lifted some of the story arcs. Lucas didn't plan them during 4, 5 and 6 so any cross overs are just for shits n giggles imo.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-13-2015 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
The problem with this theory is that it's no longer Lucas's story. It's now J.J.'s story. So even if Lucas had Luke turning to the dark side at the end of RotJ, that doesn't mean J.J. will follow through with that. I think he knows what the fans want and the majority would be upset about a dark Luke...

come to think of it, Luke is almost certainly still a virgin, so he could turn to the dark side Elliott Roger style :smirk:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.