Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        DOOM E3 2015 trailer sneak preview

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: DOOM E3 2015 trailer sneak preview

redline
redline
PostPosted: 04-20-2016 10:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I was planning on buying new PC on may, just in time for Doom. Now that my enthusiasm for Doom has been curbed somewhat, would it be wise to wait for the new generation of Cards, even if it were for a price drop of the 970/980 (Ti)?

Definitely. At least for the mid-range FinFET cards. I think 980 Ti is out of production now.

Only a bit over a month to wait.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 04-21-2016 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Further, I wouldn't buy a GM200 card because of its questionable DX12 compatibility. Unless you want it to lose most of its value in a year. Just sayin' :shrug:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-22-2016 09:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Robert Duffy wrote:
PC gaming is in our DNA here at id. Just like so many of you, we also love to tinker with settings to get the exact experience we want – and every ounce of performance our systems can handle. We will be running an uncapped framerate on PC at launch, supporting ultra-wide 21:9 monitors, allowing wider FOV, and providing a wide variety of advanced settings that allows any PC connoisseur the opportunity to make intelligent tradeoffs between visual fidelity and performance.

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/do ... /04/22/113

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-23-2016 12:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excellent news

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-27-2016 11:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doom Snapmap demonstration:
https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda/v/62765871
(starts at 12:50)

Single player preview:
https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda/v/63182030
(starts at 0:40)

I don't know how many spoilers there are in the SP video as I haven't seen it yet.

As for the SnapMap video, it starts off with a custom 4-player deathmatch game with sped up player movement, shotgun only spawn and weapon pickups in the level... you know... exactly how the Doom multiplayer should've been out of the box, god damnit.

Other points of interest in SnapMap:
- They showed a custom coop map where you have to pick up powercubes dropped by monsters and return them to a safe zone. Returned powercubes extend a timer that's running down. The monsters spawn in greater numbers and are easier to kill so you can keep picking up powercubes.
- Third map they showed was "BasketBoom", which is a basketball-ish type of game without weapons. You can pick up the ball and try to throw it in the hoop as if it were a grenade. If you don't have the ball, you can melee punch other players to steal the ball.
- Fourth map was a SP experience with lots of level interactivity (bridges being activated, forcefields getting activated blocking your way until all monsters in the room are killed, a door locked by a red keycard).
- Tower Defense maps, Parkour maps (think Defrag, but really boring due to the dumbed down movement) and wave challenge maps (think Gears of War's Horde mode) are possible.
- They did show a map where you simply stand in a square room with a box in there and it says "shoot the box when the counter hits 10" or something. It then starts to count: 1... 2... 3... but then it stops counting. You have to continue counting up to 10 seconds in your head and then shoot the box when the counter should hit 10. Then it tells you by how much you were too early or late.
- They also showed a map where you had to enter a room, memorize something about the room, move into another room with two doors and it'd say something about the room. Then you'd have to enter the left door if the statement was true or the right door if it was false. If you enter the correct door, you score points. Rinse and repeat.
- They showed a map with (I think) a Mancubus that was totally ramped up with health and had had all sorts of special abilities like spawning other monsters into the room, temporarily teleporting you to a different place (some kind of hellish area with some kind of motion blur screen effect and flames in the background) and slowing your movement.
- The craziest thing they showed was a map that was basically a fully functional piano with drum sequencer in there.
- You can let SnapMap do a lot of stuff automatically, like adding props (think crates and stuff), clutter on the floor, decals and even enemies, but you can also place all that stuff by hand.
- You can do in-game cinematics with a camera system.
- You can add sounds/voiceover effects.
- Branching: you can take someone's custom map and modify it yourself
- Leaderboards: each custom maps has a global leaderboard
- Coop mode is possible in various forms. Four player coop or even in teams where both teams have their own objectives or you can have players play as demons.
- Every object has a number of events (like a weapon has an onPickUp event and a monster has an onSpawn or onDeath event). These events can be selected from a radial menu. Then you pull a line from the object to another object and it'll show a radial menu with possible event handers (for monsters like spawn the monster or for objects like remove the object, etc).
- You can customize the amount of damage weapons do, how much health players or enemies have, that sort of stats stuff, including scoring mechanisms. So yeah, you can bump up the damage of that weak ass rocket launcher
- You can determine what items enemies drop
- You can show text notifications center-printed in the screen
- You can put live scoreboards into your maps
- Player inputs can have different effects. The BasketBoom maps had the fire button wired up to be a sprint boost so you temporarily run faster.
- On release, there will be a large number of SnapMap maps made by id Software.
- You can vote maps up or down to rate them.
- SnapPoints: You earn them for both creating and playing maps. You can use SnapPoints to buy vanity items.
- SnapMap maps are cross-platform
- Bethesda is planning on organizing MapJams or whatever they're going to call it. Make a map that has to abide a set of rules, tag it with a specific hashtag (you can add tags to your maps for easier searching) and maybe they'll even pick a winner.
- If you have just 5 minutes, open the SnapMap video, skip ahead to 1:12 and you'll see a really intense fight that gives me the confidence that you can recreate the hectic battles of the Doom of yore in this game.
- In short, it looks like you can do some cool things with SnapMap

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-28-2016 12:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Eraser. I'll watch the video now but that seems pretty interesting.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-28-2016 01:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it looks pretty snazzy to be honest. Especially the wide variety of stuff they showed make me enthusiastic. I'm sure creative people can come up with all sorts of cool shit. Sure, SnapMap isn't the same as having a complete SDK and level editing tools, but with the amount of features it has, the limitations it imposes actually fuel creativity.
I'm not going to watch the SP video because I don't want to spoil anything for myself :)

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-28-2016 02:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So everything in the SnapMap looks very cool, i like how much you can edit the gametypes and the logic is a lot more versatile than expected. The one thing that they didn't ask/show is if you can create assets and geometry from scratch, because essentially that's what makes a good map/mod. There didnt seem to be ANY vertical gameplay, it was all corridors and rooms on a single inter-connected level. ...no q3dm6 remake.

The comment about needing a degree to use the SDK pissed me off too, i remember learning radiant when i was 13/14 and it's what got me interested in cg design, i understand it's a bit different now and a LOT more complex, and also the complexity is not for everyone but it would be nice to have the option. Valve still allow people access to their SDKs. That said it's great they're doing this at all and it's the thing that's keeping my interest. People will do some very imaginative stuff.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 04-28-2016 04:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-28-2016 05:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Snapmap has me interested. According to reports they also beefed up the RL dmg and player speed in MP

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-28-2016 06:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reveal of an Easteregg in Doom. Spoiler warning of course:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/04/28/hu ... g-revealed

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-28-2016 09:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, that stuff is leaving the realm of nifty right into the domain of obligatory. :/
A few more games and itll be the new dopefish!

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 04-28-2016 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why is doom.com giving me a 404 ?

it shows the site for a second then 404

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-29-2016 12:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Working fine here

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-29-2016 12:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually looking really good - ordered on the PS4 for £33 so happy with that

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-29-2016 01:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/doom-pc-cd-key-steam

£22.39 if you used DOOM666 as the code

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-29-2016 03:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Totally legit

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-29-2016 03:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've used them before - never an issue

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-06-2016 12:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Launch trailer

I like how they put the e1m1 guitar riff in there.

One apt YouTube comment:
Quote:
What the fuck now it looks fun again, this game makes me bipolar.
:smirk:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-06-2016 01:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very apt comment
PS4 version coming on Friday

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-08-2016 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

claymation Doom

i bet it took a while to make

but it's awesome

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-08-2016 10:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up: :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-08-2016 11:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats brilliant

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-09-2016 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DOOM on Pascal 1080

100+ fps uncapped, yummy :D

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 05-09-2016 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

love that clay Doom :D

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 02:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

new 4 minute trailer

and it's fitting it get released on Friday the 13th :D

Last edited by SoM on 05-11-2016 02:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GFY !, how ya doing buddy ?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-12-2016 12:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dispatched

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-12-2016 06:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My copy is at the house - a nights play awaits :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-12-2016 11:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its really fun so far...fucking frantic

redline
redline
PostPosted: 05-12-2016 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Its really fun so far...fucking frantic

WTF? It got released early?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-12-2016 12:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mine turned up a day early - it's actually awesome so far. Feels more "DOOM-like" than I thought it would

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-12-2016 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:

Thank you SoM - Quake3World member CaseDogg :eek:

Eraser wrote:
Reveal of an Easteregg in Doom. Spoiler warning of course:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/04/28/hu ... g-revealed

:up:

Hey but thanks too all for the other video clips. I am near convinced to grab if only for the SP.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-12-2016 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

twas a long time ago Whiskey 7, but that laugh :olo:

redline
redline
PostPosted: 05-12-2016 09:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/doom-pc-cd-key-steam

£22.39 if you used DOOM666 as the code

Nice, thanks!! :paranoid:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.