Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Game of Thrones (season 6)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Game of Thrones (season 6)

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-22-2016 07:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whoa!

This season is way good. That last scene was intense and the ending was a mindblower...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-22-2016 10:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, did I just see a paradox in Thrones ?, ohhhh this is risky. You're treading on the thin ice Mr Thrones man.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-22-2016 10:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and

It's on

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 03:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol, Game of Losts

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
And time travel. For fucks sake man. This best not pull a fucking Lost. If
Bran
is
Bran the Builder
by way of Sam Becketting about the place and 'the cycle continues', or some shit, it'll be bloody silly.

Telling you it's on the cards :D

And what's even worse...

They've been doing it for a while, but nothing made it more apparent than the importance of Bran in that episode. They're building him into some kind of Neo ;)

If I didn't have more respect for the writers then I'd say it was a certainty but they did bottle it when killing Snow, which was pretty fucking stupid tbh. Either way you look at it though, the cats out of the bag now. He needs to be killed sharpish.

The way I see it n all, the only place Theon and his sister can go is to Dragon Lady, provided they don't introduce another plot device.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 08:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't mind if they're going that particular way with Bran. They're doing it so well, the show is so good, does it matter? But really it's all going back to Cercie and Jamie. If they hadn't been fucking, and Jamie hadn't pushed Bran out the window, he would have never become who he is. But I guess we could play that game all day...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 09:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If it does go in that particular direction I'm gonna end up losing a shit ton of respect for it. BSG, LOST and Matrix did it only to fall flat on their arse and is used when they run out of ideas.

Trust me, it's bad. Everything else becomes redundant.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 12:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow what a great episode. The ending was superb. Loved the whole theater play in Braavos, especially the bit with Sansa's boobies out.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 12:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh btw, someone called it back in 2014

https://ventrellaquest.com/2014/04/20/got-got/

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 12:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Either that guy is full of shit and just got lucky, or GRRM got the idea from him and went with it. I'm leaning toward the shit option...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 12:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Wow what a great episode. The ending was superb. Loved the whole theater play in Braavos, especially the bit with Sansa's boobies out.

Were those tits not spectacular? Wow...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 07:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
If it does go in that particular direction I'm gonna end up losing a shit ton of respect for it. BSG, LOST and Matrix did it only to fall flat on their arse and is used when they run out of ideas.

This is the way I look at it, and why it doesn't bother me. From Reddit:

Quote:
I've seen a lot of people confused about the implications of the scene last night on how time works in ASOIAF, and how it opens up a lot of paradoxes. And I'm here to tell you, no it doesn't.

"The past is already written. The ink is dry."

Time travel in ASOIAF follows Novikov's Self-Consistency Principle, which posits that there is only one timeline, and people who go in the past to change the past have already changed the past and that it was destined to happen all along.

Two major examples in pop culture of other stories that follow this rule. Harry Potter and Futurama.

In Harry Potter, the use of time turners made many people confused. "Why not use them to go back in time and kill Voldemort as a child? Why not save Harry?" Because time travel can't change the past, it can only cause it to happen. When Hermione and Harry use the time turner in Prisoner of Azkaban, they don't change the past by saving Sirius and Buckbeak, they had already saved Sirius and Buckbeak. They went into the past to conclude their destiny to save them.

In Futurama, Fry goes back in time and accidentally kills his grandfather and sleeps with his grandmother. They all expect him to cease existing until they realize that Fry is his own grandfather after all, and the only reason he exists is because he went back in time to sleep with his grandmother (I'll grant that this one is a tad more paradoxical).

Which leaves us with time travel in ASOAIF. Last night, Bran didn't change the past by causing Hodor. Time, fate, destiny....those are written in stone. Bran was always destined to go back and warg into Wylis/Walder, turning him into Hodor. By doing this, it enables Hodor to continue to fulfill his destiny by making him a simpleton who has to help Bran when Bran gets paralyzed.

As for future implications, this means that Bran can't change the past to impact the future. He can't go back and convince the CotF to not create the first Other, he can't stop Ned from being beheaded or Robb from being betrayed. He can only interact with the past to cause the timeline to continue as it already has.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 08:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

This is the way I look at it, and why it doesn't bother me. From Reddit:

Quote:
I've seen a lot of people confused about the implications of the scene last night on how time works in ASOIAF, and how it opens up a lot of paradoxes. And I'm here to tell you, no it doesn't.

"The past is already written. The ink is dry."

Time travel in ASOIAF follows Novikov's Self-Consistency Principle, which posits that there is only one timeline, and people who go in the past to change the past have already changed the past and that it was destined to happen all along.

Two major examples in pop culture of other stories that follow this rule. Harry Potter and Futurama.

In Harry Potter, the use of time turners made many people confused. "Why not use them to go back in time and kill Voldemort as a child? Why not save Harry?" Because time travel can't change the past, it can only cause it to happen. When Hermione and Harry use the time turner in Prisoner of Azkaban, they don't change the past by saving Sirius and Buckbeak, they had already saved Sirius and Buckbeak. They went into the past to conclude their destiny to save them.

In Futurama, Fry goes back in time and accidentally kills his grandfather and sleeps with his grandmother. They all expect him to cease existing until they realize that Fry is his own grandfather after all, and the only reason he exists is because he went back in time to sleep with his grandmother (I'll grant that this one is a tad more paradoxical).

Which leaves us with time travel in ASOAIF. Last night, Bran didn't change the past by causing Hodor. Time, fate, destiny....those are written in stone. Bran was always destined to go back and warg into Wylis/Walder, turning him into Hodor. By doing this, it enables Hodor to continue to fulfill his destiny by making him a simpleton who has to help Bran when Bran gets paralyzed.

As for future implications, this means that Bran can't change the past to impact the future. He can't go back and convince the CotF to not create the first Other, he can't stop Ned from being beheaded or Robb from being betrayed. He can only interact with the past to cause the timeline to continue as it already has.

Woooah pony. It is paradoxical because Bran has already changed the past, he made Hodor Hodor innit. It's like the grandfather paradox in Futurama, how did it happen the 1st time and if you changed it the 1st time then 'destiny' isn't absolute. I think this is called the bootstrap paradox.

You can't win, it's why writers wrestle with the idea and fail.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 08:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unless you view time like a movie. The whole timeline, everything that happens is predetermined all at once, and what you experience is a replay of those events, similar to how playing a DVD never changes the outcome of the movie, regardless of how many times you play it or jump forward/backward in chapters.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 09:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just because it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy doesn't make it any less of a paradox.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 09:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Just because it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy doesn't make it any less of a paradox.

There is no paradox because there is no cause and effect. The whole timeline is formed instantly as it is. It's not altered by Bran's meddling in the past because that's how the timeline always has been.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 09:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The bootstrap paradox is a time travel paradox in which an object or information can exist without ever being created. The object or piece of information is sent back in time where it is retrieved and to become the very object or piece of information that was brought back in the beginning (Hodor, Hodor, Hodor)

It's still a paradox, it's just your theory allows it.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 05-23-2016 09:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 09:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your theory too, destiny is absolute but time travel is possible. What happens when I go back to cut my own leg off ? (to claim benefits)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 09:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Perhaps. In the end I don't really care. Time travel is not possible so you can't have a scientific discussion about it when you assume unscientific things from the start. GoT is a magical universe that I would think should be allowed some freedom in what can and cannot be done.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 09:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Your theory too, destiny is absolute but time travel is possible. What happens when I go back to cut my own leg off ? (to claim benefits)

You'd be legless your entire life. See: Hodor.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 09:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If it goes this way then I promise that you will end up disapointed.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 09:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

You'd be legless your entire life. See: Hodor.

But I currently have both legs ?, I went back to yesterday to cut one off.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 09:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let me put it like this, the can of worms is open, Bran can time travel and can create paradoxes. This is all true.

So if they decide to go wild then the entire show, the story arcs, the characters, everything can become pre determined by Bran.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 10:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Let me put it like this, the can of worms is open, Bran can time travel and can create paradoxes. This is all true.

So if they decide to go wild then the entire show, the story arcs, the characters, everything can become pre determined by Bran.

True, time travel opens a can of worms regardless (although I think the Soul Reaver series cleverly managed time travel. Reality woukd try to prevent history from being altered. Raziel felt physical resistence as he approached his own body in history. But when history ultimately got changed, the timeline would adapt to whatever you did. So if you're went back and hacked off your own arm, that would becomes your new reality and you wouldn't know better than having missed an arm ever since).

Anyway, GoT has been subtle with regard to magic so far so I expect them to be subtle with time travel ideas as well. But even if Bran turns out to be Bran the Builder, if they bring it in a tasteful way then I'd still have no problems with it. Star Trek always did OK with time travel, even though most of it can probably be scientifically debunked. The Terminator did quite OK as well, but I think that's mainly because it wasn't a main plot device, just a matter-of-fact thats-how-he-got-here kind of thing.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 10:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is that show like the Butterfly Effect then ?, that could be cool, it could be a bit Looper though.

And if it stays as it is then I can tolerate it, I'm not happy if it does mind because it'll be a cheap plot device, but Bran was a boring git anyway.

What me and Memph are worried about is that if it even tries to turn Bran into Bran the builder they will have no option but to go LOST, BSG and Matrix where everything that has happened is left un explainable. (Thanks to God / Time travel or destiny). I'm a little worried about those red priests for similiar reasons.

Unless you hunt the internet for a theory that allows for your paradox of course :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 11:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Is that show like the Butterfly Effect then ?, that could be cool, it could be a bit Looper though.

It's a videogame series :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of ... oul_Reaver

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 11:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ahh yea I remember that :up:

Never played it, but I remember it :D

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-24-2016 12:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I concur with chunk & memph, it's an interesting but somewhat troubling turn of events story wise. Great ep in any case, i loved the Hodor bit :up:

And i don't quite know what to make of the Littlefinger / Sansa conversation; it doesn't make much sense does it? I mean, the man who famously knows everything either underestimated Ramsay or he underestimated how Sansa would react to being sold into marriage with a monster... what's going on here? Is he losing his touch? Is this a plan of some sort?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-24-2016 04:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:

Woooah pony. It is paradoxical because Bran has already changed the past, he made Hodor Hodor innit. It's like the grandfather paradox in Futurama, how did it happen the 1st time and if you changed it the 1st time then 'destiny' isn't absolute. I think this is called the bootstrap paradox.

Pretty sure Eraser already explained it, but he's right. Bran didn't and won't change anything. Like he said, the past is already written. He changed nothing. The only thing he did was watch everything take place as it had always been...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-24-2016 05:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-24-2016 05:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gotta love Tormund :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-24-2016 05:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
This best not pull a fucking Lost.

Ironically enough that last episode was directed by Jack Bender, who apparently was the lead director and executive producer on Lost :)

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-24-2016 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

Pretty sure Eraser already explained it, but he's right. Bran didn't and won't change anything. Like he said, the past is already written. He changed nothing. The only thing he did was watch everything take place as it had always been...

*Something that exists without ever being created...*

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-24-2016 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok let me break this fucker down to its frame...

1 thing happened over the final 5 minutes in the last episode and we are already talking about fucking destiny

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-24-2016 07:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that's why I tried to make it about Tormund and Brienne having rough sex.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.