Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Is there a blender Quake 3 file importer?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Is there a blender Quake 3 file importer?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-03-2016 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

I had posted here last year, I returned to see whether there is one of those import addons around for the Blender 3D package.

Since I couldn't do much with the Elite force game, I could may be do a level edit in the Blender program, maybe use the game engine. Even that is a bit of a problem since it has limited object support. There wouldn't be a guarantee that the objects that were made using the GTK program would display in the engine feature at all such as rounded mesh, and I'm not referring to a cylinder.

Thanks.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 02:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quite a few folks have made maps or map objects using Blender now.
There are issues if you are thinking about making an entire map entirely consisting of meshes for Q3.
I'm not up with new versions of Blender. The best place to drop by is http://www.katsbits.com
The way I used to work was to convert my compiled map into an ase model, then import that into Blender.
There may well be a better workflow now, but in the past that was the route to go.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 06:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I simply want to export a map from the Quake 3 system for use in Blender.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3MAP2->.ASE->Blender .ASE importer

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is in the Radiant you mean. So I can't import the map file into blender as is.

Radiant, GTK 1.40 only has import, and save as xml quake 3 map.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 04:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can export using 2.54. But not import. I did add the script in a menu since, there wasn't any sign of it in the addons to just simply select to install.

Would anyone mind trying to get this elite force map file imported into blender please.

https://postimg.org/image/x8ajql0s1/

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 04:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 12:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, I have ASE export only, too. I am running Blender 2.73a and have the latest ASE exporter available. It's available only to export, though. Earlier versions of Bleder had Quake 3 *.map export and I think even import function available and already enabled. But not the recent. Shame :( Try to ask at KatsBits forum, which is site with developer tools for connecting Blender 3D with idTech engines (including Quake Worlds)...

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Y-No compiled map

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In theory I could export a map for Elite force, the problem is, is that there is no scripting tutorials for it, and when I tried some script making, they never worked in the game, including looking at example scripts.

Some months back I emailed a modder for EF, but no response.

So Blender would be better for a game demo of a new map with an existing mod map that was released ten years ago for it.

Could I not use an older version as mentioned to import a quake 3 map so I can then use a recent version I have 2.76 to edit and texture.

There are both advantages to using GTK/EF and the Blender 3D and game engine. Both are good, but Blender has more support, and expansion to do other tasks or make the player more functional with the environment.

As for IDtech, Doom 3 I thought had some possibilities but it didn't workout even with contacting some of the development team, I wanted to edit one map but it wasn't a simple task of just scripting.

I tried editing the Doom 3 maps, as I was thinking of creating some kind of Mars base map, based off the game's one, but I just wasn't sure how to arrange something simple but impressive, Doom 3 is horror, so one has to think scare tactics. Enclossed spaces, darkness, mad sound.

How ever getting back to Blender and and Doom 3, how would that work for editing, there is still an internal map editor for that to do all that.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
Yes, I have ASE export only, too. I am running Blender 2.73a and have the latest ASE exporter available. It's available only to export, though. Earlier versions of Bleder had Quake 3 *.map export and I think even import function available and already enabled. But not the recent. Shame :( Try to ask at KatsBits forum, which is site with developer tools for connecting Blender 3D with idTech engines (including Quake Worlds)...

I tried 2.40, or 2.35, 2.36. Nothing there, and those are from 2004, 2005.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 02:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried exporting the map I'm creating in 2.54, nothing is created.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-01-2016 12:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-01-2016 04:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is the map I uploaded and linked on here, that works in what version? How did you get that?

Could you up a copy please?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-01-2016 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-01-2016 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have had mixed views about editing the map whether in the GTK or Blender. Both more or less will serve the same purpose. On the one hand blender is limited but powerful with the game engine. As for the GTK/EF combination, most of what I want is there but useless without scripting knowledge. Getting new model objects in such as a weapon requires Milkshape and that expired for me last year on the XP system I'm still using. I recently upgraded to newer hardware, a Optiplex 780 small factor with windows 7.

I'm currently creating the other map to go with it with either Blender or Radiant. With Blender there is a serious amount of texturing.

How ever with blender the launch bay has function with the user more than ever could be with the EF. They both have their ups and downs.

The download hasn't worked for me. Could you try sendspace.com?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-01-2016 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The link did work for me 13mb. Now the big problem isn't that it doesn't work, but the size of the map and the fact that it is all joined together. Ouch!

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-01-2016 10:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if i didn't join them all faces of the map/bsp would be a seperate object in blender

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-02-2016 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The problem is, it is impossible to edit all of that like that. Seperate pieces would be the best solution.

I have done some editing in GTK, and rearranged the deck to more how it would be on blueprint. It hasn't been easy moving everything around. If I could select the way in Blender, B and and drag over any object and then move anywhere needed.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-02-2016 10:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you would need to make seperate .ASE(which means alot of .bsp's) and import individually and join them-so some work involved!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-03-2016 06:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You mean, every object would need to be seperate as in a file? That is just impossible and years long task!

I do have another map I want to then load into GTK. If I want to do this for Blender, it can only be one, which is a big disappointment.

I can upload a copy, could you export that for GTK radiant use?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-03-2016 08:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here is the file. Some pieces are connected some aren't, how would this display in the Radiant map editor?

I've deleted the lights and the player cube. This can at least give me an idea of how my final finished map would be for Radiant.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/t00s5e

Thank you.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-03-2016 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what are you mapping for?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-03-2016 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well Elite force that is based on the Quake 3 engine. I'm editing the NX01 E deck map, it is patchy and imperfect, I'm trying a different edit as with the previous I didn't change it enough. So I thought I'd try again, and whilst doing that make a new map to use for the character models.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-04-2016 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why not use misc_model(.ASE model) and manually clip it

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-04-2016 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't really understand. I have an exporter with one of the blender versions, so 2.54. I export it and it doesn't do anything, there is no file created.

The map I sent is certainly much smaller. You're thinking, am I going to have create all those files. LOL!

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-04-2016 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What ver of blender are you using and what .ase exporter are you using?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-04-2016 03:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What I found, for 2.54.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-04-2016 11:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-05-2016 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To download that file, I must register on that upload file site.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-05-2016 09:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That upload site is pure trash.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-05-2016 09:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-05-2016 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried open and import, there is no listing of ASE file?

That is much better, so I had to join the whole map together. So in the Radiant, I'll have to seperate them there.

How would I go about that?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-07-2016 04:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How do I import this ASE file?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-07-2016 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

.ASE import tools on:
http://www.katsbits.com/tools/

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.