Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-13-2015 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ender's Game

Quote:
Young Ender Wiggin is recruited by the International Military to lead the fight against the Formics, a genocidal alien race which nearly annihilated the human race in a previous invasion.

Not bad; better than I had imagined and interesting IMO.

Revenge :!:

Yes, watch if if you get the chance. 8/10

IMDB

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-14-2015 01:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The best thing about the book was the twist, which unfortunately didn't happen in the movie.
The story is pretty much identical, but with the addition of different character viewpoints, the twist is removed.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 12-14-2015 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
The best thing about the book was the twist, which unfortunately didn't happen in the movie.
The story is pretty much identical, but with the addition of different character viewpoints, the twist is removed.

what's the twist in the book ?

redline
redline
PostPosted: 12-14-2015 11:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Mat Linnett wrote:

what's the twist in the book ?

I wouldn't say that it's much of a twist, but basically we find out that Ender is fighting real enemies in his game "simulation".

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-14-2015 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
I wouldn't say that it's much of a twist, but basically we find out that Ender is fighting real enemies in his game "simulation".

:confused: The movie I just viewed had the same twist?

Also, I had the idea that the Formics were massing on their home planet in defence after Earth took their outpost the remote Earth base was setup on; where Ender did the final stages in his training as Commander. Ender had the same thought

Just maybe, those little and later battle simulations were also battles with the Formics building up to their planets' decimation.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-16-2015 11:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lucy 2014

philosophical movie, enjoyed it very much, oh, and Scarlett Johansson

8/10

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-17-2015 06:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
Lucy 2014

philosophical movie

:olo:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-17-2015 10:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
Lucy 2014

8/10

Must view an 8 :D

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 12-18-2015 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ex Machina

8/10 for the way it subverts your expectations

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-18-2015 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
Lucy 2014

8/10

disappointingly shit movie. everything good was in the trailer. ending sucked big floppy donkey wangs

Playboy
Playboy
PostPosted: 12-18-2015 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not enough 10's in this thread for me.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-18-2015 05:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Ender's Game

Yes, watch if if you get the chance. 8/10

Seems I liked it so much, because I just ordered the book.
It will be an interesting read and comparison I am sure :)

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-21-2015 08:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SW-TFA

A solid 8.5/10.

.5 for the falcon.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-24-2015 03:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Just watched Love Actually.

Watched it Christmas night and it felt really good :)
I searched here as I thought I'd rated it in this topic before; I did back in 2009.
Still a pleasant movie, worth you time and the rating went up to 8.5/10
Clicky

Posted Christmas 2011 I think

Watched again Christmas Eve. This is becoming a tradition here. Look, if you haven't seen it, do! It is a feel good movie :)

We followed up with Star Wars V - The Empire Strikes Back and we're slowly getting through them and enjoying even with the dated special effects.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 12-26-2015 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Wars 7 - 9/10

The first half is brilliant. This is as good as blockbuster movies get . So much excitement and likeable characters . The second half / finale is definitely weaker but still has some good moments .

I love the villain . Most of the other characters are also interesting but the character of Rey looses a great deal of originality in the second half .

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-26-2015 04:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd also give it a 9/10.

Adam Driver is a great antagonist. Ready to see it again :up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-26-2015 06:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Wars: The Plot Hole Awakens - 7/10

Sloppy writing and a very predictable ending, but still enjoyable. The sound effects and Falcon were the best part of the movie. People are definitely scoring this movie on the nostalgia factor, after all, everyone loved Episodes I-III when they first came out.

Kylo Ren revealed to be a teenaged Snape was terrible, but I guess all the emo-looking cosplay nerds now have a character to relate to.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-26-2015 08:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kylo Ren
I thought he seemed much like Anakin in Revenge of the Sith. Except without the bad acting.

Playboy
Playboy
PostPosted: 12-26-2015 09:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More Kylo Ren:

Loved the character the first time I saw it when he was masked, unmasked I wasn't so sure. Second time in seeing it I was able to appreciate the unmasked character much more. He can't start out as a fully fledged badass, his character is going to develop throughout the trilogy as he completes his training as a Sith. My interpretation is that his current, unmasked character is meant to portray him as being young, emotional and undeveloped. I really hope the mask isn't gone for good though.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-26-2015 10:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the mask is gone for good. And I think that's ok, cause he's gonna have a badass scar now, which will further solidify his hatred and fuel his dark side.

I think you're spot on about the growth of the character. I see him growing just as we saw Luke and Anikin grow. Going from an emotion youth with little knowledge, to a legitimate dude that can kick some ass. It'll be fun to watch both Kylo and Rey hone their skills...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-27-2015 12:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what
no way is the mask gone. if anything he will wear the mask to hide the scar. star wars has always been about the masks..vader, boba, troopers...etc

Playboy
Playboy
PostPosted: 12-27-2015 12:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really hope you're right!

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 12-27-2015 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also: The actress of Rey looks a bit like a mixture of Emma Watson and Stoya , right ?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-27-2015 05:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got a Keira Knightly (sp?) vibe from her. Only better everything...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-27-2015 08:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
a mixture of Emma Watson and Stoya

4chan's clammy wet dream right there

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 12-27-2015 04:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I think the mask is gone for good.

I don't think so - It does not make much sense to let the mask go to soon from the writers perspective: The brilliance in the concept is that Kylo Ren is basically a Star Wars / Darth Vader fanboy doing cosplay. Also the mask is the visual representation of his striving to become as evil as Vader; An aspect of the characters arc that is not completed: His performance in the lightsaber duel was horrible; He did not stand a single chance against Rey once she started using the force; Even Finn was not doing overly bad against him, despite not being a force user.

This is second brilliant aspect: He is an antagonist that is for most of the time physically and mentally inferior to the protagonist.

edit:

Also: The villain of a blockbuster movie is saved from the protagonist by a deus ex machina. How cool is that?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-28-2015 01:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Despicable Me

It's not very good.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-28-2015 07:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Limitless - limitless boredom 5/10

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-28-2015 10:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Die Hard 10/10

the quintessential xmas movie

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-28-2015 10:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Die Hard 10/10

agreed

yippee ki yay mother fucker

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-29-2015 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Die Hard 10/10

Not Home Alone? :smirk:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-29-2015 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
shaft wrote:
Die Hard 10/10

a classic, and part 2

they play it here every year since it came out, still get a laugh out of them 2 idiots

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-29-2015 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Despicable Me

It's not very good.

Really? I found it one of my favorite animations. Do u like any of pixars work?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-29-2015 09:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Despicable Me

It's not very good.

Really? I found it one of my favorite animations. Do u like any of pixars work?

Love Pixar's stuff but it's not a Pixar movie.
The movie starts off promising but then devolves too much into slapstick style over-the-top "comedy", whereas I'm more for subtlety in humor. Some scenes even feel like they were stuck in there just because (like the shopping for a new toy scene) and the movie would be better off without 'em.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-29-2015 09:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
Eraser wrote:

a classic, and part 2

they play it here every year since it came out, still get a laugh out of them 2 idiots

Speaking of over-the-top slapstick comedy...
I hate the movies. They don't make me laugh a single time. The kid of the first two movies is kind of creepy too. They play em every year here as well. Found out yesterday there's actually a part 4 in the series.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.