Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        sky hiccough

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: sky hiccough

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-03-2016 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is an odd thing. When I look at this sky in q3ase, the animation loops smoothly, but in-game there is a visible jump when it loops. Here's the shader:

Code:
textures/outrage/outskybox
{
   qer_editorimage textures/outrage/outsky.tga
   surfaceparm noimpact
   surfaceparm nolightmap
   surfaceparm sky
   q3map skylight 120 6
   q3map_globaltexture
   q3map_sunExt 1 1 0.85098 170 167 83 3 32
   skyParms env/ofar 512 -
   {
      map textures/outrage/outsky.tga
      blendfunc blend
      tcMod scroll -0.1 0.1
      tcMod scale 0.8 0.5
      depthWrite
   }
   {
      blendfunc blend
      tcMod scroll -0.2 0.3
      tcMod scale 0.8 1
      depthWrite
   }
}

Anything obviously wrong here? The shader works, absent this glitch. Do the scale and scroll of the cloud layers need to be mathematically related?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-03-2016 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try it this way:
Code:
textures/outrage/outskybox
{
   qer_editorimage textures/outrage/outsky.tga
   surfaceparm noimpact
   surfaceparm nolightmap
   surfaceparm sky
   q3map skylight 120 6
   q3map_globaltexture
   q3map_sunExt 1 1 0.85098 170 167 83 3 32
   skyParms env/ofar 512 -
   {
      blendfunc blend
      tcMod scale 0.8 0.5
      tcMod scroll -0.1 0.1
      depthWrite
   }
   {
      blendfunc blend
      tcMod scale 0.8 1
      tcMod scroll -0.2 0.3
      depthWrite
   }
}

If you are using several tcMod's (Texture Coordinate Modification), you have to pay attention of their order. See: http://www.heppler.com/shader/shader/section6.htm#6.6

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-03-2016 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excellent, sst13! Thank you. Loops seamlessly now.

Quote:
When using multiple tcMod functions during a stage, place the scroll command last in order, because it performs a mod operation to save precision, and that can disturb other operations.

That's from your link.

Quote:
This should be the LAST tcMod in a stage. Otherwise there may be a popping or snapping visual effect in some shaders.

That's the version from Robotrenegade that I've got bookmarked. Difference in form, not substance. Any reason why one version of the shader manual should be preferred over the other? Or do you need to be cross-referencing different versions? :shrug:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-03-2016 12:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've always preferred the robotrenegade one. Never found fault with it.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The original shader manual was written by a couple of developers who were at id Software while Quake 3 was under development. It's a good reference, but really old and outdated.

A LOT of work was done both with GtkRadiant and Q3Map2 which added all sorts of new features. Many of these features are extended as shader directives. I used the original shader manual as a reference and built on top of it, documenting the additional features for reference.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
The original shader manual was written by a couple of developers who were at id Software while Quake 3 was under development. It's a good reference, but really old and outdated.

A LOT of work was done both with GtkRadiant and Q3Map2 which added all sorts of new features. Many of these features are extended as shader directives. I used the original shader manual as a reference and built on top of it, documenting the additional features for reference.

Thanks for clearing that up. Among many other things. :D Quite a few tech questions of mine over the past couple months led, through search, to a thread answered by you.
I had a feeling the robotrenegade one was the authority for those developing now, with q3map2 and modern gtkradiant. Appreciate getting that nailed down.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.