Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Preparing Import/Export with Blender (.aes/.map)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Preparing Import/Export with Blender (.aes/.map)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First of all, I really want to say thank you to Misantropia, if he's still around. When I was a kid, I got a lot of help from him on the forums, which was my entry into programming/development.

I haven't touched the game in years, but I had a spur-of-the moment idea to create a single-player stand-alone using ideas I've been kicking around for a while, and seeing QuakeJS inspired me. So I just recently stumbled into his username, again and it brought back good memories of his helpful attitude. I actually stumbled into his GitHub account from a thread here and didn't realize it was actually his, and was happily surprised to find out he worked on nodeJS.

Anyway, I'm not trying to spend all my time on this hobby project, but without getting into it too much, the idea is going to focus on some thematic overhauls, with none other than *the* InstaUnlagged as the feature gameplay mechanic. I'm working on a story set out in space, so all the graphics intend to be new and beautiful, and I'm very excited. So, that's why I need to do some importing into Blender, so I can play around with some advanced techniques I have in mind.

Now the fun begins. I have written a question here[1], but basically, how to I preserve "brushes" when importing/exporting to/from Blender? Any suggestions. Thanks guys!!!

Full details:
[1] http://blender.stackexchange.com/questi ... to-brushes

---
xoftware.org
Christian Research Open-Source Software

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, the only solution I've found is a completely different workflow and result of map.
http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/idtec ... vanced.php

You would basically create blunt clip masks around the whole level, and label as many surfaces as possible as "detail" as opposed to "structure" in Radiant. Unfortunately, that's not ideal. We know .map files have the ability to record structures as solid "brushes." I'm completely new to Blender, but it seems like there's not a way to solidify objects in that manner. (Funny thing, Blender does everything else under the sun!)

Maybe I should compare the two different .map files and try to figure out how to combine triangles as brushes. Even if I modified the export script, it seems you'd still have to follow a new stricter manual workflow, if even possible. (I guess you'd have to model in Blender's native method, but then somehow flag the surfaces you want to combine as brushes during export. The best possible scenario being you would generate a file with those flags during BSP->ASE conversion and then init them from within Blender. And then Export, combining flagged surfaces into brushes.) At that point it has become much more of a chore than I wanted.

Hmm. Is there not a better way to import/export maps in Blender?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-06-2016 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unless anybody has any specific solutions, I got some help from Kat's Bits.
http://www.katsbits.com/smforum/index.php?topic=901.0

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.