What are you listening to

Open discussion about any topic, as long as you abide by the rules of course!
Ferrao10

Re: What are you listening to

Post by Ferrao10 »

losCHUNK wrote:Rave was the melting pot and it was widely considered that it died in the late 80s / early 90s, which is the split I was talking about when Prodigy released Experience (92) and were seen as the rave scene, cos anyone that now goes to a rave expects to see Prodigy. So it died in its place stuff like DnB and Jungle and Garage and Hardcore and shit fell out the sides that went on to create House and Dub Step and breakbeat and all sorts of shit, including Mayday.
Ahh, there you go. Was wondering that.
losCHUNK

Post by losCHUNK »

Memphis wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:My argument is Rave killed itself and just evolved
I concur.
:)

I wanted to come back to this but didn't have time, but basically shit hit the fan when Charly released in 91 - by this point the scene was pulling in bigger and bigger crowds and was naturally creating a market for companies to cash in on and was already overflowing into the 'commercial scene', so it's decline was happening before Charly was even thought of and anyone thinking it was going to stay in abandoned warehouses was deluded. Then Mixmag did a complete hatchet job on little Liam -

[lvlshot]http://www.nekozine.co.uk/prodigy/info/mixmag1.jpg[/lvlshot]

I remember it because being a massive fan of Prodigy I was always defending them against dickheads.

The full article can be found in these scans -

http://www.nekozine.co.uk/prodigy/info/ ... ology.html

It also has their apology, 10 years later. Some of what they said is true, they did split the scene but so did every other genre that came from it. I spose you could blame Charly for blowing up happy hardcore but honestly how the fuck was Liam meant to know that ? - Children of the Night, Flying on the Wings of Love were in the mainstream and the likes of Dougal and Hixxy / Force and Styles were dominating the underground, by the late 90s it was just hard house that wasn't really rave.

Just listen to the difference of an 89 rave to the Fantazia link ya posted

[youtube]-Izy1trNv1k[/youtube]

[youtube]rMfi36l3cbI[/youtube]

It pissed Liam off tho, he thought he was turning up to answer questions about the album and pose with the gun, when he seen the article had no mention of the album but just basically called him a sellout fraud he never gave them another interview, burned their mags in music videos and (my favourite) released a song under a different name, the song was called One Love and the scene swallowed it up, "Rave isn't dead" they proclaimed, with massive praise from critics and DJs alike, including Mixmag. They only found out it was made by Prodigy when they re-released Charlie as a white label with One Love as a B side :olo:

The response, I shit you not, was for the majority of DJs to pull the track from their playlist, cos of the sellout scum rhetoric.

Can't blame him, he was trying to make his way as a serious music producer and was having the rug pulled from under his feet, getting discredited by your peers is a massive kick in the nuts, i'd imagine. I remember during an interview he snapped as it looked like he wasn't expecting the question and said something along the lines of "Prodigy created rave and Prodigy can fucking kill it", which obviously didn't go down too well.
[color=red] . : [/color][size=85] You knows you knows [/size]
Ferrao10

Post by Ferrao10 »

So, now that we got that somewhat settled, what do the Americans think of the 90's musical evolution? You did have a good part of that cake, too. How did you experience the late 80's/during the 90's? (Aussies and Kiwis are allowed to speak up, as well ;) )
AndyW

Post by AndyW »

[youtube]OfRhgcVwOKE[/youtube]

[youtube]2dH289KxkGw[/youtube]

[youtube]_mpbjYYdHq8[/youtube]
Die Vitamine sind in der Dose gefangen!!!
Ferrao10

Post by Ferrao10 »

[youtube]PVyS9JwtFoQ[/youtube]

Pixies rememborial. Get them out of my head! GOD IS DEAD!
losCHUNK

Post by losCHUNK »

Ferrao10 wrote:So, now that we got that somewhat settled, what do the Americans think of the 90's musical evolution? You did have a good part of that cake, too. How did you experience the late 80's/during the 90's? (Aussies and Kiwis are allowed to speak up, as well ;) )
In the 80s Chicago gave birth to Acid House which went on to be the grassroots of the UK rave scene ;). Didn't Chicago have a rich music culture ?, or am I thinking of Detroit and motown ?

I think 90s America can be attributed to hip hop though and the controversy that it brought with it, could say it was like a Rock n Roll revolution for the Black American voice instead of rich teens ;). There was some absolute gold made in that era from hip hop artists n all, nothing today can compete with it. There ain't no diss track like 'hit em up'.

I mean at the time that shit was beyond jaw dropping, it was like 5 mins solid of disbelief. Of course I was younger and easily impressed back then but still...

Manson was getting his fair share of controversy n all, but this back in a time when parents were losing their shit over columbine and GTA.
losCHUNK

Post by losCHUNK »

~Awee fuck yis

[youtube]nkJA6SYwa94[/youtube]
Ferrao10

Post by Ferrao10 »

losCHUNK wrote:I think 90s America can be attributed to hip hop though and the controversy that it brought with it, could say it was like a Rock n Roll revolution for the Black American voice instead of rich teens ;). There was some absolute gold made in that era from hip hop artists n all, nothing today can compete with it. There ain't no diss track like 'hit em up'.

I mean at the time that shit was beyond jaw dropping, it was like 5 mins solid of disbelief. Of course I was younger and easily impressed back then but still...
Not denying it but 90s american music was, imo, stil the white man's decade, as it stil is. 90s was brutally good rap, yet grunge took the fame. Never heard better perfomrmances of bands like Naughty By Nature, P.E.and such as back then, yet the "black man" stil is kept down. Or is he not?
ALMighty

Post by ALMighty »

Burn Your Fire For No Witness was amazing, can't wait for her new album.
[youtube]nleRCBhLr3k[/youtube]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/almighty1984]Music[/url]
Whiskey 7

Post by Whiskey 7 »

Cat Stevens - Morning has broken 1976

[youtube]U5sSEkZ86ts[/youtube]

Classic :up:

... Wait, and Cat Stevens "Wild World"

[youtube]0k6mQyu2GxM[/youtube]
[color=#FFBF00]Physicist [/color][color=#FF4000]of[/color] [color=#0000FF]Q3W[/color]
AndyW

Post by AndyW »

Good stuff!

[youtube]M8L4C0IXNC8[/youtube]
Die Vitamine sind in der Dose gefangen!!!
Ferrao10

Post by Ferrao10 »

Some psychedelia

[youtube]zlwQVZUTdJA[/youtube]

[youtube]L3AVKzsvIK0[/youtube]
scared?

Post by scared? »

Best song ever?...

https://youtu.be/uR131fc2pZY
Ferrao10

Post by Ferrao10 »

U4EA wrote:Hammock
Great music, all of theirs. Just bought, thank you.
U4EA

Post by U4EA »

I'm so glad you liked it ^^
Ferrao10

Post by Ferrao10 »

Fuck, yeah, I like it. All them records since '06.
Bandcamp's payment is chill.
FLAC->mp3 is your thing if you need it. SONY Media Go can handle FLAC and batch-convert to mp3, up to 320kb/s. iTunes can't handle FLAC at all.
shaft

Post by shaft »

its coming...

[youtube]CLishDbwy9c[/youtube]
vesp

Post by vesp »

20th anniversary special edition release of the Bluetones "Expecting to Fly".

I have never felt so old! 20 years jesus fucking christ.

[youtube]7JVFHCcHv5Y[/youtube]
shaft

Post by shaft »

[youtube]PkGwI7nGehA[/youtube]
Ferrao10

Post by Ferrao10 »

[youtube]T2aFPe7mrhg[/youtube]
Ryoki

Post by Ryoki »

Maceo Plex - Live @ The Peacock Society, Paris July 2016

https://soundcloud.com/avidmuzikfan/mac ... -july-2016

Interesting sound; i hestitate to describe it as techno but i don't know what else to call it, electro maybe? It's trippy as fuck and heavy on the salsa-like drums and growling base lines and whenever there's melody it's invariably melancholic. It's... really exciting stuff...

Saw him perform live twice now, once was shit (every artist is allowed an off day now and then i guess) and the other time was just jeeesus what the fuck. Almost too much after a while, really - too much impulses to handle or something. Didn't help they installed about twenty thousand pulsating lights on the sides of his stage of course :up:
[size=85][color=#0080BF]io chiamo pinguini![/color][/size]
U4EA

Post by U4EA »

Radiolab Presents: More Perfect

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolabmoreperfect
How does an elite group of nine people shape everything from marriage and money, to safety and sex for an entire nation? Radiolab's first ever spin-off series, More Perfect, dives into the rarefied world of the Supreme Court to explain how cases deliberated inside hallowed halls affect lives far away from the bench. Produced by WNYC Studios.
Some pretty interesting cases in there.
seremtan

Post by seremtan »

this is... interesting...

[youtube]29AaoNtn0rc[/youtube]
Whiskey 7

Post by Whiskey 7 »

I caught some Phil Collins today and so should you :up:

[youtube]r0qBaBb1Y-U[/youtube]
[color=#FFBF00]Physicist [/color][color=#FF4000]of[/color] [color=#0000FF]Q3W[/color]
Ryoki

Post by Ryoki »

No... no i really shouldn't.
[size=85][color=#0080BF]io chiamo pinguini![/color][/size]