Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Just 90 companies are to blame for most climate change

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Just 90 companies are to blame for most climate change

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-27-2016 04:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
So says a 'climate accountant'...

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/08/ ... ntant-says

Hardly beyond belief. I do like the argument that choices are made for people. Though, at the end of the day (slashes wrists a bit), if you drive, you do (if minisculey) fuel the need for Oil.inc.

Not to mention the thousands of other things made from oil, starting with the device you're posting with.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 08-27-2016 05:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That was enlightening

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 01:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 08:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was going to argue but then I remembered I'm not yank, but when speaking globally it's hard to address because of the varying levels of energy commitment from each nation.

In the UK it's 6ish billion VS 3.5 and when you consider the market share that's a bloody good proportion of funding :up: . I'm pretty sure that includes the Tax breaks those Tory fuckwits gave their friends and BP and Shell n all.

And still makes little headway :/. Its biggest problem is Nuclear, only green energy can compete with that and unfortunately Nuclear is a good trade off between cost / impact on the environment. Everything else, well, it can't even compete with a 60%+ tax rate on oil. I don't know what the Tories plans are for the future but it ain't good.

Wind farms are causing problems in Wales n all cos they're stuffing them anywhere. In places that would have planning applications disapproved otherwise.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's too late. the planet is fucked

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now, now, now.

Arctic ices increasing / stablising and a smaller ozone hole. We're fucking owning this shit.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A friend of mine who works for a certain Government energy regulating body swears wind is a far better solution to nuclear at the moment, mostly because it costs a huge amount less and doesn't involve outsourcing a massive amount of our energy infrastructure to China (e.g., Hinkley).

I wouldn't want a wind farm in my backyard but I don't get the whole "they look ugly" debate. I think they look quite nice :shrug:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It varies from country to country but as a rule of thumb Nuclear is cheaper - but even with the UKs proportion of subsidies being weighted in wind powers favour (IE they get funding for construction / development / planning as a green energy (subsidies)) I've read the prices are pretty similiar in ideal conditions.

The outsourcing just comes down the Tories not wanting to reach into their own pocket.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 08-28-2016 09:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Now, now, now.

Arctic ices increasing / stablising and a smaller ozone hole. We're fucking owning this shit.

Arctic ice is decreasing and the ozone hole is getting better because we banned CFC's 25+ years ago...

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nuclear isn't cheaper when you factor in the huge subsidies, cost overruns and invisible costs. Also wind turbines don't produce millions of spent radioactive fuel rods that have to managed for thousands of years.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea but Antarcic ice :up: :up:

Arctic Ice is having a bit of a rebound too (why I mention stabilising) :up: :up:

And banned CFC's :up: :up: :up:

We rock.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
Nuclear isn't cheaper when you factor in the huge subsidies, cost overruns and invisible costs. Also wind turbines don't produce millions of spent radioactive fuel rods that have to managed for thousands of years.

I just told you the subsidies of green VS fossil in the UK and how green energy is subsidised in the UK.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Yea but Antarcic ice :up: :up:

Arctic Ice is having a bit of a rebound too (why I mention stabilising) :up: :up:

And banned CFC's :up: :up: :up:

We rock.

source your claims here please.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're joking ?.

The only one that is contestable is the Arctic sea Ice and despite having a rough 2 years is still up on its lowest ?

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:

I just told you the subsidies of green VS fossil in the UK and how green energy is subsidised in the UK.

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/The_Real_Cost_o ... _Power.php

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 04903.html

etc.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
You're joking ?.

The only one that is contestable is the Arctic sea Ice and despite having a rough 2 years is still up on its lowest ?

even if the antarctic ice is rebounding a bit, the total global sea ice is decreasing. As well the planet has been getting hotter. The hotter the ocean, the bigger the ocean as the molecules expand.

I just don't see anything at all that paints climate change as getting better in any regard. Searching for evidence, would gladly read yours...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So from 3 to 1 and we shift the arguement.

Ok, we're fucked :) :up:

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
So from 3 to 1 and we shift the arguement.

Ok, we're fucked :) :up:

not sure what from 3 to 1 is but i didn't shift the argument unless i misunderstood your point about antarctic ice and ozone depletion.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, there was 3 points to provide a source for which I genuinely thought a pisstake (CFCs ?).

I focused on 3 main positives. I havn't got all the answers yo, but depending on what study you read or what research you get into the answers vary from we're fucked to 'not so bad'.

All I can say is we're still here.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 09:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you should have read seremtan's link too

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I skimmed it, I didn't / don't have the time to jump into it.

What I did do is try and grasp the concept, so I applied it to the UK energy industry (which is / was kind to renewables) and looked at it from a consumer stand point.

When it comes to oil comapanies n all, they don't get these breaks cos they're dirty fuel burners. They get these breaks cos they're big business. The amount of convos I've got into only for it to delve into conspiracies >:E

And I say fuck big business regardless :up:

Edit: Briefly looked at your 2nd link but I'm almost certain that construction costs / waste disposal is reflected in the price pmw. The last I read the prices were similiar I shall try and find some material on that or wether it's changed since, but the price I remember modern Nuclear electricity being about the 100 mark with wind being 10% off with the next generation of plants set to be more efficient.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
A friend of mine who works for a certain Government energy regulating body swears wind is a far better solution to nuclear at the moment, mostly because it costs a huge amount less and doesn't involve outsourcing a massive amount of our energy infrastructure to China (e.g., Hinkley).

I wouldn't want a wind farm in my backyard but I don't get the whole "they look ugly" debate. I think they look quite nice :shrug:

There are a few wind farms in Vermont that I pass occasionally, and I think they look nice, too. I think a lot of it is due to what they represent to people, because I've met individuals who live near them that hate the turbines. They also don't happen to give two fucks about climate change.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For the Welsh, they complain about it's ruining the landscape

Matter of opinion I spose.

Edit: better photo

Last edited by losCHUNK on 08-28-2016 10:44 AM, edited 2 times in total.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yea they ruin it

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 10:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd much rather have this sight instead of the turbines:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 10:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea they'd be pissed off about that too.

Not really an alternative...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 10:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some people wouldn't be happy with any solution, they just want to complain.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Which is what everyone's doing.

Point I was making is I showed a reality where as you posted something that has been outsourced in Britain since the 60s. For wind power to be a reality a good proportion of the British green belt will have to go and should we dismiss those who have concerns over their impact on the environment ? (such as wild life). If it were a big business it would be scrutinised to fuck.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wind farms are a big business, and they are scrutinized to all hell. Their impact on wildlife and the environment (even at scale) is practically nonexistent. Wind farms work best out at sea anyway, so I don't see the issue with just sticking a ton of them offshore. :shrug:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 11:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Offshore farms are only viable in certain areas and are not as cost efficient as land based farms

They're obviously damaging the environment n all if they're displacing wild life, that's the point of these green belts, to preserve the habitat. If it were anything else, such as a Walmart, Car park or road planning permission would likely be rejected in a lot of examples due to the rules when building outside urban areas. Companies have problems gaining permission (proposals) for anything over a certain height in urban areas - they usually have to buy the council off with a free park or someshit - but somehow these wind farm projects tend to over rule the opinion of the local community if they disagree.

Anyway g2g, bye everybody :D

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 11:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he should hunt them down like he did in death wish

interesting read, also the other links in the thread

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 12:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
that's the point of these green belts, to preserve the habitat.

yes - the habitat (and property prices) of upper middle class professionals who want to live in villages but also want an easy commute

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 02:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, let your cynical side take hold >: D

In fairness you cant expect everyone thinks like that. On the wole these places - like Brecon / Merthyr have some of the lowest house prices in the UK thanks to a lack of shit (and possibly inbreading)

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-28-2016 04:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
inbreading

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.