Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        I need with Quake III modding

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: I need with Quake III modding

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-15-2016 02:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I've looked around for documentation, but all the things I saw on GTKRadiant are pretty old and the UI has changed a bit over the years and even so, I don't really have the attention span to read through a PDF and instead, I think a more hands-on approach would be more efficient, but there are no good in-depth video tutorials on using NetRadiant and I think even that may not be enough for me and I think one-on-one help would be best, but this is a rare skill, (Thanks to Unreal and Unity taking over the market) so I'd be lucky if I can find somebody that has the skills let alone somebody that has the patience & time, so the only way I can think of to get help would be to buy their time and my wallet isn't exactly permissive. So should I just give up? I worked half a day trying to compile a bsp of a four sided floor as a test and I couldn't even get IOQuake3 to run the test using map test in the console and it made me want to ragequit because frustration really triggers my anxieties. People that know me think I'm lazy of which I am, but I don't mind giving it my all to a project, but the problem is when I give it my all without making any progress.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-15-2016 04:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lucky for you, quake 3 has some of the coolest people in the world, like me (not cityy tho, he still owes me a picture of his shirt). This weekend I could dedicate an hour or two to teaching someone a bit of radiant. I know it pretty well imo.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-15-2016 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK, I don't know when I'll be up. I think I'll go to bed now. So that might get you an idea.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-15-2016 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cityy has a 9-part video tutorial, if you can forgive zit German accent:

Bubba's Tutorials have long been a favourite as well.

For what it's worth, level design requires a HUGE amount of knowledge so if you've just dabbled around for half a day and are getting frustrated, then in all seriousness this might not be for you. Level design takes a lot of perseverance, research, and trial & error. All level designers fail far more times than they succeed, and we each have a cache of unfinished projects. If you think you have the patience and dedication, then by all means you'll find a wealth of resources online and a super helpful community here which will be glad to help. Whether or not this works for you is up to you alone.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 09-15-2016 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-16-2016 04:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theftbot wrote:

Thanks, that was a lot of help! I think I'll have to take a rain check on KittenIgnition's offer. (Maybe next week) I just ran my first map and blew myself up 16 times because there wasn't much one could do in a 512x512 cube. :toothy:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.