Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        One day while porting a mod made in 2012...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: One day while porting a mod made in 2012...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-17-2016 08:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello, I've had a good start on the ioq3 website getting this mod compiled. It actually worked... sort of... and was making good progress porting a mod from 2012. I'd found things had changed in ioq3 from then till now... I've had a lot of success with my own mod, but experience with lcc in dos only.
So, here's the problem. I'm in cygwin and using gcc...
The final step was to add three new files, two to cgame, and one to game.
I got an error and found a similar problem in a post from this site back in 2012 -Topic: Merging baseq3 and missionpack builds into one...
My error '*** no rule to make target' was similar, and using the command the ^misantropia^ suggested, `find build/ -name cg_loop.d` indeed found no file, and showed me where these .d files are. Looking at them, I am mystified.
How does one go about constructing a new '.d' and '.o' files so the makefile will find the 'rule' for cg_loop.c and finish compiling?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-18-2016 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've seen this type of question posted a few times... never an answer over the years. I assume it's either too simple or too hard to answer... or the right person isn't seeing the post. I found this, and plopped it in the makefile, but it didn't do what it said it would do, and make .o and .d files out of .c files...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-18-2016 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

%.d: %.c
@set -e; rm -f $@; \
$(CC) -M $(CPPFLAGS) $< > $@.$$$$; \
sed 's,\($*\)\.o[ :]*,\1.o $@ : ,g' < $@.$$$$ > $@; \
rm -f $@.$$$$

it was on the GNU website about 'pattern rules'

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-18-2016 09:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No one is really posting here anymore. Most people that have some experience with modding q3 have moved on and haven't returned. That's why you aren't getting any answers.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-19-2016 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I posted to this site, because that's where the mod was originally discussed. I'll leave it for posterity since others have asked a similar question...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-19-2016 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not a mod that has been released. But it was referenced here as 6dof... the author was working on 6 degrees of freedom movement like a plane or spaceship... a Descent kinda mod... using quaternion functions.
Appreciate the input, I was pulling my hair out through the weekend.
ToKu, your english is fine. Cygwin is what I've been using for about a week.
The answer may have been going back to MinGW... or the way I have it installed, (been having issues with just the plain install).
I did what you suggested...
$(B)/$(BASEGAME)/cgame/cg_loop.o \ to files in Cygwin, but it wouldn't create the .o and .d files automatically.
MinGW seems to have done this and it looks like were making progress.
I didn't need much help, just a nudge in the right direction. Thanks!

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-19-2016 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

P.S. it was originally discussed here... the work is pure genious and I got it compiled to the point where I can move around a level and do loop the loops and tilt like I'm a plane. My hope is just to get this to work in spectator mode... just a touch to finish of Pwrgunsv4 :)

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48636

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-19-2016 07:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Almost forgot... since you asked, here's another post...

http://quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 6&p=951379

Looks like there was quite a bit of discussion, I can't tell if it ever went anywhere besides this guy achieving his goal.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.