Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        The Shotgun challenge

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The Shotgun challenge

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-02-2016 03:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

[general update february 25 2016]
[update november 12 2016]
[update december 22 2016]
[update december 31 2016]
[update february 5 2017]
[update march 2 2017]
[update march 11 2017]
[update september 27 2017]

The first time I tried this challenge it was 20 years ago with Doom 1 and 2, so it's very simple : You can use only the shotgun in nightmare.

Playing only with the shotgun, changes the game because it's necessary to develop an appropriate strategy for each map. It's stressful for me to play like this especialy when I play to get a Perfect, but I like this adrenaline :owned:

Now, I have done all maps, but may be some players can succes with a better performance.
I hope to see yours frags :)

Years ago, I tried to do :q3: with the shotgun only ; Now I play with orignal quake 3 Arena but some older maps were done with the ioquake3 engine that it's equal but it was smoother with my previous CPU.

All maps, with my results and my feeling :

Q3DM0: Introduction | easy to get a Perfect

Q3DM1: Arena Gate (Ranger) | normal to get a Perfect
Q3DM2: House of Pain (Phobos) | hard to get a Perfect

Q3DM3: Arena of Death | hard to get a Perfect
Q3TOURNEY1: Power Station 0218 (Sarge) | easy to get a Perfect

Q3DM4: The Place of Many Deaths | hard to get a Perfect
Q3DM5: The Forgotten Place | hard to get a Perfect
Q3DM6: The Camping Grounds | normal
Q3TOURNEY2: The Proving Grounds (Hunter) | hard, one of two hardest

Q3DM7: Temple of Retribution | hard
Q3DM8: Brimstone Abbey | hard to get a Perfect
Q3DM9: Hero's Keep | normal
Q3TOURNEY3: Hell's Gate (Klesk) | easy (no shotgun available added via "Devmap" and "Give Shotgun")

Q3DM10: The Nameless Place | easy (no shotgun available added via "Devmap" and "Give Shotgun")
Q3DM11: Deva Station | normal to get a Perfect
Q3DM12: The Dredwerkz | normal
Q3TOURNEY4: Vertical Vengeance (Anarki) | easy to get a Perfect

Q3DM13: Lost World | easy to get a Perfect

Q3DM14: Grim Dungeons | hard to get a Perfect
Q3DM15: Demon Keep | hard to get a Perfect
Q3TOURNEY5: Fatal Instinct (Uriel) | hard to get a Perfect

Q3DM16: Bouncy Map | normal
Q3DM17: The Longest Yard | hard, one of the two hardest because you need to be lucky
Q3DM18: Space Chamber | hard
Q3DM19: Apocalypse Void | easy

Q3TOURNEY6: The Very End of You (Xaero) | easy to get a Perfect (no shotgun available added via "Devmap" and "Give Shotgun")

I put my links video but I think it's better at start to no watch them if you want to do this challenge and develop your own strategy for each map.

:id:

Last edited by TIFsenior on 09-27-2017 10:00 AM, edited 39 times in total.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-02-2016 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

update for Q3DM6 (The Camping Grounds), done this afternoon

Last edited by TIFsenior on 02-15-2016 01:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-02-2016 02:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wouldnt mind seeing a quickened demo of this. I applaud your first posts, nice idea. So, this is quakelive free with singleplayer?

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-03-2016 03:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thx,
I use the original wad of Quake 3 Arena's with ioquake3 engine.
I use ioquake3 because it's the same then the orignal but with bots's animation smoother on my PC and it's a key point to avoid rockets (+ bots seem to be a little better and accurate than the orignal Quake 3 Arena)

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-03-2016 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

update for Q3DM7 (Temple of Retribution) done this morning, but too hard for me to get a nice fight, btw i's done but ugly :/

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-03-2016 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Improving bot function seems to be on the rise in these new q3's. Theres that guy with spearmint. Im new to this discussion, seems io is another name for apple

I usually rip players with sg, so im interested

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-04-2016 02:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This morning I give a try to spearmint ; My POV : render is good because it improves and respects the original :q3: . Bots react differently than the original :q3: so atm to no disturb my skill, I keep ioquake3 to continue this shotgun challenge then after may be I'll play more with spearmint.

+ update for Q3DM14 (Grim Dungeons) done last evening

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-13-2016 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TIFsenior, me and Zack (the developer of Spearmint) are working on a couple of bugfixes for the bot AI in q3dm7, which involve the vented door, jsyk.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-15-2016 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3DM17: The Longest Yard done

Done with Quake 3 original engine not ioquake3, I fixed my problem of fluidity using compatibility mode win XP sp2.
You have to be lucky to do this map cause if a bot catch the RG, he can do ten frags in one minute, and I mixed 3 strategies during the fight.

@coltonquake3 this morning I tried again Spearmint with maps Q3DM1 Arena Gate (Ranger) and Q3DM3 Arena of Death, bots's bahavior is differente than the original Quake 3. Atm, m2c, there is something that should disappear in Spearmint (and in ioquake3 too), bot that stop to fight to speak :eek: as you can see here at 4:56 (it's ioquake3 but I saw the same problem with Spearmint)
https://youtu.be/1YygkGTZgb8?t=4m54s

"When you shoot, shoot, don’t talk" (The good, the bad and the ugly, Tuco) :sly:

Last edited by TIFsenior on 02-16-2016 11:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-16-2016 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3DM18: Space Chamber Done

None stategy, but I really dislike this map :drool:

Now there remains one map to do with SG : Hunter Q3TOURNEY2 The Proving Grounds but atm I don't have any idea to fight again Hunter when she's with the Lightning Gun.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-19-2016 12:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3TOURNEY2: The Proving Grounds (Hunter) Done

I think it's possible to do it under 10 minutes because I've made mistakes that cost me time and lives (ex : at 6mn) but I'm happy to beat Hunter with SG :D ; atm I don't owned Hunter like Anarki, I need more training.

It was the last map with a SG, the challenge is over for me :p

Last edited by TIFsenior on 02-22-2016 11:51 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-19-2016 02:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I appreciate your enthusiasm

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-21-2016 07:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try adding pro-q3tourney7/8 & q30tourney0 into the SP roster, and beat Xaero with the SG in those maps, because I thought those maps have an SG, I'll need to check. EDIT: Yes, both the q3tourney maps have shotguns in them. I haven't checked q30tourney0 yet. EDIT2: Yes, all those maps have shotguns in them, just change the included q30tourney0 bot from Daemia to Xaero, add the maps to the SP roster, then just start fighting Xaero off using the SG on those maps. Also, q30tourney0 requires the tree model/shader from Q3TA. Just port the tree over, then use it in a separate pk3 as you're running the map, but don't release it online as it's illegal to do such because of copyright laws. Be warned, q30tourney0 has NO vis blocking...

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-21-2016 07:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can edit the SP roster by copying the arenas.txt to a folder inside baseq3 labeled "scripts", sans quotes, and then editing it to include those maps. Take away the special status of q3tourney6, for some reason (take it with a badge of honour in this run) it will complete it for you on hardcore. Now add those 3 maps into the arenas.txt, using their respective .arena files for checking which gametypes they use normally, then adding them in, adding the "single" gametype (also sans quotes) along the way. Gametype status is on the "type" line of the .arena file, this is also true for arenas.txt. Once you are done, replace the bot for q30tourney0 with Xaero instead of Daemia, and blast away! Don't forget to rename the pak0.zip back into a pk3, and please copy the arenas.txt, this is done to maintain the CRC of the pak0.pk3 file to maintain compatibility with pure servers.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-22-2016 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

coltonquake3, thank you for your technical support :up:

But I know nothing about these things, strangely I never played with :q3: 's personalization.
So I used the old school way with :
Devmap Q3TOURNEY6, add Bots, give shotgun

Q3TOURNEY6: The Very End of You (Xaero) done, it's the easiest map, it's just boring :confused:

I think it's will be harder against Klesk... >:D

Last edited by TIFsenior on 02-26-2016 02:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-23-2016 07:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's the modded arenas.txt, & links to the arenas:
Arenas:
pro-q3tourney7 (Almost Lost): http://lvlworld.com/dl/lvl/1631
Levelshot for this map:
pro-q3tourney8 (Dark Reign): http://lvlworld.com/dl/lvl/2074
Levelshot for this map:
q30tourney0 (The RiP): (This is a link that has the tree shader): https://mega.nz/#!JtVQmL7J!OSPLKQIcjiSE ... 3I2kBstDmI
Levelshot for this map:
arenas.txt: https://mega.nz/#!1pUzUZwb!7Mw0FM8aJnAo ... fv6IcuD-Kg
Shove this arenas (for TIFsenior).txt into your scripts directory in baseq3, rename to arenas.txt, and you're now off to the races!

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-24-2016 01:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just an update for Q3TOURNEY3, TIFsenior has completed it, but he had to use the same manner as he did for Q3TOURNEY6. That is all.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-25-2016 12:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes coltonquake3, I have finished all maps :)

Q3TOURNEY3: Hell's Gate (Klesk)
Q3DM10: The Nameless Place (I bind "give shotgun")

but I'm surprised because these 3 maps originally without shotgun are easy to do with it, and I think it's not a problem to get a perfect against Xaero or Klesk. I think about it : as I use the command "Give Shotgun" I don't have to waste time to get the shotgun or amo, I'm always armed that it's not true with others maps. So these 3 maps are just a "bonus" but don't give the feeling of the Shotgun Challenge. It would be much much harder if a shotgun was on a plateform against Xaero and you spawn on the other platerform :owned:

@coltonquake3, I 'll take time to try others maps, thx :sly:

video bonus, for the next Challenge. The Humiliation Challenge... ? :drool:

Last edited by TIFsenior on 02-26-2016 02:50 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-25-2016 04:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Make sure you post your findings for these maps here in the 1st post TIFsenior! Would love to see the video for them...

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-01-2016 04:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

update with map Q3DM13 done in 2 minutes

as before, nightmare perfect with shotgun only

https://youtu.be/D7SOMapwVLA

but I'm a little disappointed when I record video because my computer is not enough strong so I have to play in windowed 1280x720 and max 60fps VS com_maxfps 333 usually, btw it changes little things as jump :smirk:

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-12-2016 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Update for fight Q3DM2 against Phobos, done in 3mn35s, before it was around 8mn.
But I wasted time in the middle of the fight, I was not enought agressive, too careful ; I think it's possible to do it under 3mn.

Q3DM2 nightmare perfect with shotgun only
https://youtu.be/x3Osea60UM8

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

map Q3DM3 (Arena Of Death) done with a perfect

https://youtu.be/Vd37Ey0VOcY
soundtrack : a nice "Commodore 64 style" music :)
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Ray_R ... /Pocy_Pocy

I played carefully to get a Perfect ; Now that I know it's possible to do it, I'll try to be more aggressive.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-24-2016 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

- map Quake 3 Q3TOURNEY1 Sarge done with a nice fight in less then 3mn versus more then 5mn before.
https://youtu.be/rpmz7AbQgQo

- map Q3DM8 Brimstone Abbey done with a Perfect :) Image
https://youtu.be/bbTVB7vstDM

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-12-2016 03:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Update, Uriel Q3TOURNEY5 Fatal Instinct done in 3 minutes :) but I'm pretty sure it's possible to do it around 2 minutes. With a bit of luck it should be possible to kill Uriel before he catch any weapon.

https://youtu.be/ku7oEuVo3KQ

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 12-22-2016 01:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Update, Q3DM15 Demon Keep done with a Perfect,

I played too cautiously to get this perfect and I lost 2 minutes killing nothing, it's sure it's achievable in less than 4 minutes and even possible to get off at 3 minutes

https://youtu.be/uAeVMajhZW4

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 12-31-2016 04:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last one for this year :sly:, update Q3DM11 Deva Station done with a Perfect,

https://youtu.be/iIXF8ffULUY

Happy New Year :D

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-31-2016 04:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Keep 'em coming :up:

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 01-03-2017 06:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not too much, because they kill each other quickly :cool:

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-05-2017 04:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3DM4 The Place of many deaths done with a perfect

but I had to play carefully, it's hard to reach 20 kills without dying

https://youtu.be/6ezMPn5y3lw

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-02-2017 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3DM5 The Forgotten Place done with a perfect

I like this map with shogun, some fights are violent, it's possible to lose instantly :up:
I find platform is the best security zone, it allows easy access to red and yellow armor but it's necessary to go down to take ammo.

https://youtu.be/7HlSyesiw8k
with a chip 8bit music :sly:

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-11-2017 02:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Xaero pwned in 2 minutes with a perfect, unfortunately as I had to add the shotgun via devmap, btw i couldn't hear the sweet music "PERFECT" :tear:

And don't say I shoot next when Xaero is on the other platform, it's just to get him to come to me quickly :cool:

https://youtu.be/6nh6eQjEIOU

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-06-2017 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3DM14 (Grim Dungeons) done today with a perfect, but I played with care so it takes 8 minutes and my accuracy (62%) is too low, btw it's too long. I think it's possible to do it about 5 minutes, so for now I don't post any video.

cess primary
cess primary
PostPosted: 08-22-2017 02:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Appreciate ya!

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-30-2017 04:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Done in 5 minutes but I'm sure it's possible to do a better fight, and I failed 19/20 in 3,30 minutes... I will succeed :sly:

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-27-2017 10:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3DM14 (Grim Dungeons) done today with a perfect in 3mn45.

It seems so easy on the video, I took more than two months to accomplish it, but I am happy :p

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.