Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Fit command for mapping doesn't work in game

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Fit command for mapping doesn't work in game

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-09-2017 04:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When I try to fit a texture to a block, it does fit in GTKRadiant but when I run the map in game the textures aren't fit. How can I fix this?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 02-09-2017 10:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What game do you map for? Quake 3 or Quake 4 (or games using one of these teches - RTCW, DOOM 3, Jedi Knight I & II, etc.). DOOM 3 and Quake 4 use directly the *.map file format (with additional files that need to be compiled in order to be able to play the map: collision map, specularity map, entity map, botmaps, etc.) so it should work. Quake 3 and other games running on Quake 3 engine (like RTCW or Jedi Knight games) need to compile the map first to completely standalone BSP file format (binary file), which can't be edited using an editor (only viewed). That BSP is completely independent on your developing *.map file, so any later changes to the *.map file won't affect the BSP. BSP includes a collision map, diffuse map (textures projections), lightmap (static lighting of your map) and of course an entity map, which contains all entities and their locations/boundaries in your map. Botmap is completely separated, it's an AAS file, which needs to be compiled separately by another compiler (bspc, not q3map2 like BSP file).

So if you want to review new changes to your map, compile it again (probably using last compile options) and launch the game to see it. If the texture coordinates change, then your problem is solved. If not, then that's beyond my understanding, sorry...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-09-2017 12:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm mapping for Jedi Knight. So what you're telling me is that I should compile it with q3map2:(finals?) so I can see my textures fit? I'm really bad at understanding, sorry..

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 02-09-2017 12:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Final is really for final result (final product). For testing you should choose cheaper compile options (fast or fast test), which is designed just for testing and runs quicker than final compile. If you can handle harsh light, you can compile without lightmap, maybe also without vis (not compiling vis is not recommended, though, as it renders entire map at once then and it consumes a lot of r_speeds - small GPU activity console dump - the higher the more laggy gameplay - the harder and slower render). Choosing this option will compile your map fullbright and you'll see your texture “as is” without any shades created by lightmap (as the lightmap is missing, is not created). But I don't recommend compiling fullbright for final release as it degrades the map visuals score and overall map reputation (at least in review based maps download portals like lvlworld.com for Quake 3 maps).

Unfortunately, I do not have Jedi Knight game, so I can't make it for you with comment on which settings were used. You should see the fast option in BSP/Build menu in GtkRadiant.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-09-2017 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I know that, I'm just so confused about the fit thing, it's so random... I was really expecting it to work in game...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 02-09-2017 04:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, it's not the fit thing, it's the editor. Editor doesn't change the map in game. Compiler must do it. You only change the prototype of the map (which is required to make a playable map) and compiler takes this prototype and builds a working map loadable in game. So when you correct your texture, compile your map and load it up in your game. Then you'll see what happened. It has nothing to do with any function in GtkRadiant. Pretty much all Quake 3 engine map editors have the same functions (moreless) and all produce the same text-based raw code file format with *.map extension. Compiler takes this and basically translates the text-based code into binary code (much bigger as it calculates not only geometry, but also collisions, visibility portals, lightmap, entity placement/boundaries, etc - which is a lot of data to calculate and that's why compile of map usually takes minutes, for a large map even hours - I remember compiling my map nearly 10 hours - then I realised it was leaked - had hole to void - outside of a map where's nothing).

So everything you do in editor has nothing to do with the BSP. That applies to texture coordinates, stretching, that applies to brushes, entities, patches, everything. Before you actually build BSP (compile). Clicking one of the build commands will automatically save your map (if you didn't before). That's because compiler takes map data from a file, not RAM memory where your map is stored while editing. If you want to get more familiar with q3map2, try to read obsidian's websites to get started. There's also a link to q3map2 manual, which is probably what you want to read.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-10-2017 04:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

By compiling you mean q3map2:(single) bsp -meta?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 02-10-2017 06:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes. If your map is somewhat small (doesn't require vis blocking), that's enough to do. Unless you have a little bit larger map divided into smaller sections that required vis blocking for optimising (that's the vis command, also marked as (single)). You do not need lightmap for such testing, so you can actually view the map “light-naked” with textures visible free of shades created by lights (if you do not have lights at all or just want to see the textures how they look like without shading). But that map is not suitable for actual release, so for a release (alpha or beta as testing release for people looking for gameplay and visuals with fast option; and final release with final option) you should use one of option that contains all three commands for your map compiled (generates the geometry, vis blocking, and lightmap - which requires to add some lights of you haven't entire map enlighted by sky or shader lights - light created by special textures - lights, jumppads and some sort of special effect textures like fire, electricity arcs and so on emit light; if you have sections of your map without any light, it will be completely black, dark, without any visible object or something. You will see only some dark light coming from distance if your map is not completely lightless - so you have always to throw in some lights to allow players see where they are and not make them “blind”)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-10-2017 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did try compiling it but still, the textures aren't fit in game, only in gtk radiant... i'm so dumbbb.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 02-11-2017 07:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did it actually produce some another file (maybe a LIN file)? If it produced a LIN file (check your maps folder), then your map has a leak and BSP wasn't therefore changed. If your load up that file in GtkRadiant (it should be in tools, tracing option) and you'll see a red line going from a center of map to a leaked spot: may be a hole in map geometry leading to void (which makes HOM effect in game and causes the map leak, which discards any vis blocking and rapidly grows r_speeds) or some entity is outside a map or inside a solid brush. The red line should end in the position where leak occured. After you correct the leaked spot (move or delete leaked entities or fill up hole), then save your map and run the compilation again.

If it didn't produce LIN file, then I don't know what might be wrong. Save your map and try to compile it again. If your problem still appears, then you might ask someone more skilled in this manner...

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 02-13-2017 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does this happen with every texture you try to fit or only with some of them? This sounds like the texture you are using uses a shader to manipule the texture transform in game. In this case you only see this in game and not in the editor.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.