Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Overwatch

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Overwatch

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-24-2017 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wasn't expecting a new character this soon. If she comes out with the Bastion patch around the corner, that will be pretty sweet. :up:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-24-2017 07:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wouldn't the new character be on the ptr already if it was close to release?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-24-2017 10:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ana was only on the PTR for a week. :shrug:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-24-2017 10:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess what people mean with release is that it is playable, which indeed would initially be on the PTR

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-24-2017 11:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Also, would be cool if they updated the Numbani map to reflect the damage done in this attack.

OH SHIT!

Jeff Kaplan can say what he wants, but Doomfist is going to be a thing now. Maybe as a simultaneous release with another hero.

Edit:
More pics: http://m.imgur.com/a/1eZgX
This is PTR only by the way

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-25-2017 01:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-25-2017 02:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why are we still pushing this payload though?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-25-2017 03:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ha! True

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 01:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 01:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aww poor Pharah, hilarious vid tho, thanks.

The Tobelstein reactor sounds like it could be a reference to the technology used by Zarya's weapon. Perhaps Efi's robot will have similar energy or EMP type weapons or skills?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 04:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As someone not playing this game (quite yet) i'm amazed at how you guys are into the lore and the skins and all that shit. What gives?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 04:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's all just so yummy.
the quality of every little detail is just astonishing. I read the other day that they spend about 4 days on a highlight intro and that really shows. fyi these little vignettes run for about 4 seconds :o

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 04:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I saw something on the news about Horizon Zero Dawn (due to it being developed by Guerilla Games, a Dutch company) and in that segment, one of the interviewed animators said he'd spend about a day on a second of animation for that game, so yeah that sounds about right.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 04:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, ok then...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 04:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's just a very rich lore behind the game. That's mostly because Overwatch started out as Project Titan, an MMORPG that was set to be the next World of Warcraft. The project was scrapped but a lot of the artwork made for that game served as a basis for Overwatch. So a lot of lore was already written for Project Titan and they're now using that as backstory to Overwatch.

Blizzard regularly releases all sorts of lore related media, like comics, videos and little snippets like what they're doing now with the Numbani airport attack news. The Numbani stuff is Blizzard's way to slowly tease the upcoming hero (or heroes) that will be playable in the game. They're doing it so that each bit of information acts like a puzzle piece that people can use to piece the whole thing together. There are already various theories about who or what the next heroes will be. Like MKJ said, the attention to detail in there is remarkable but makes it pretty interesting to follow.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 05:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, every character is just a joy to look at and watch in action - art direction wise.

To wit: if you don't fall in love with Mercy immediately then you are scientifically gay, no matter how many children you have.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 12:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's this 1.2gb update, just for a new interface?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 01:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What everyone else said :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 01:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
What's this 1.2gb update, just for a new interface?

It's everything that was available on the PTR so far. The new custom game mode, CTF mode (including a bunch of additional CTF maps), server browser, hero balance changes (including hook 2.0 and the bastion changes), the Numbani changes and probably more things I forgot.

It actually went live 2 hours or so ago. Overwatch just suddenly crapped out and wouldn't connect to any game anymore. Had to quit to allow it to apply the patch. Very smooth, Blizzard :)

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 01:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1.7 on Xbox. When we playing bros?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 01:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah, EU region season 4 starts in a little over an hour from now :up:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 01:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
[lvlshot]

Come on Blizzard, clearly the cereal should be called Luci-Oh's. :rolleyes:

@Overwatch wrote:
Twice the Oh's for the twice the taste!

Oh's. :o

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
To wit: if you don't fall in love with Mercy immediately then you are scientifically gay, no matter how many children you have.

125 hours and counting playing that gorgeous German goddess. <3

Last edited by Transient on 02-28-2017 11:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 02:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah she's one I tend to play when there's no healers. Which is most games.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-28-2017 11:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

She needs an E ability. Right now, she's a bit underpowered next to the other healers.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-01-2017 12:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People already bitching that Bastion is way OP now

I've not tried him yet but I'll give him a blast later. Gotta start season 4 placement tonight...hoping for Gold if I get to place with good team mates :up:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-01-2017 02:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
She needs an E ability. Right now, she's a bit underpowered next to the other healers.

Hurray for new buff then

While performing a resurrection, Mercy now becomes temporarily invulnerable along with the allies being revived.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-01-2017 03:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-01-2017 05:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OMG the new bastion is so fucking good. When the game released I used him a little bit and liked him but found him to be too easy to kill but with this patch he's fucking amazing and a beast.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-01-2017 05:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah Bastion feels a tad overpowered (haven't played with him yet, though), but maybe that's just because people are still treating him like the Bastion of old. People need to rearrange their priorities now though. Before, Bastion was kind of a sitting duck when in Sentry mode. He was easy to take care of back then by pretty much any hero. Right now, Bastion can switch in and out of Sentry mode so quickly that he's much more mobile. Add to that his ability to heal while on the move and he's quite a menace.

However, in the matches I've done so far (including 5 placement matches) I've come to the conclusion that Bastion must be extremely frustrating to play if the other team counters him right. He instantly becomes target #1 and really isn't able to just sit around going unnoticed for any stretches of time. Even as Zenyatta, I was able to deal with him multiple times by putting the Orb of Discord on him, dive into cover, then fully charge alt-fire and get out of cover at the right time and blast all of it in his face. That gets rid of Bastion. Easy. It's also incredibly fun when using Zenyatta's ult to park yourself in front of Bastion so you soak up all of his bullets :D

Having said all this though, for some reason there always seems to be a person who is just intent on playing Bastion because "welcome to the Bastion meta", which is actually literally what someone came up as an excuse when picking Bastion in a payload attack scenario while we only had a single healer along with Soldier 76, Pharah and Junkrat.

Also, in two of the placement matches, I've had different people on the opposing team ask everyone (in match channel chat) to report the player playing Bastion on their team. In both matches I haven't seen the Bastion player say anything (could've been on their team chat) but the opposing team was constantly whining about how he should pick another character (on match chat). I'm getting the feeling people are asking for bans for people who blindly pick Bastion. Seems a little excessive to me.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-01-2017 06:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck that, if people want to play bastion reporting them is absolutely stupid. People can play what they want and if they get first dibs on him so be it. I have tons of unlocks for Bastion because I used to play him, I only stopped because he was sorely underpowered previously and just wastn' viable.

He's completely viable now in attack and defense and he's an absolute monster to deal with. Any team bitching about him on their team probably has a teammate that just sucks and it won't matter if it's bastion or some other character he's playing he's still gonna suck.

I've never played bastion with his normal gun so much as I do now and I on average heal about 2000 points more than I ever did previously which is an amazing jump. His ability to go turret mode quickly makes him able to dodge DVA's nuke now which was near impossible before.

It's definitely possible to counter him with roadhog, genji isn't a death sentence anymore. He might be my new favorite character right now. I'd been playing as Sombra lately but she requires so much advance planning that it's becoming a chore to play her.

Kinda wish they'd buff Tracers guns though. I'd like playing as her more often but her need to get right in their face becomes tedious against a good team.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-01-2017 11:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
People already bitching that Bastion is way OP now

I've not tried him yet but I'll give him a blast later. Gotta start season 4 placement tonight...hoping for Gold if I get to place with good team mates :up:

My fav, fam

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-01-2017 02:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://compete.kotaku.com/to-maintain-h ... 1792862312

Quote:
Yesterday’s Overwatch patch will force players with high competitive skill ratings to play at least seven games a week or see their ranking decline. It’s a smart move to combat foul play, and in the comings weeks, top Overwatch players should see fewer “smurf” accounts and more fair skill rankings.
:up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-01-2017 10:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, top 500 rewards are also only awarded to those who are in the top 500 at the end of the season rather than anyone that has ever hit top 500 during the season. Should force top 500 players to remain competitive till the end of season.

Not that this affects me in any way :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.