Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Quake Champions Mapping Capabilities

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake Champions Mapping Capabilities

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-11-2017 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Since there is no thread about this yet:
From what is known so far, QC will be a mix of id tech and saber 3D engine. The editor they use is just Maya (and I guess a plugin). So far they revealed two maps, one of which is a Campgrounds remake which I personally have mixed feelings about. I guess we all need to keep fingers crossed custom maps will be possible.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-12-2017 10:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wouldn't have high hopes for it. I'm afraid Bethesda thinks there's more money in selling custom maps DLC than opening the gates for free content.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-12-2017 10:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh and id Software using 3rd party engines? Jeez, they've lost their final shred of pride.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-13-2017 07:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

or decided that some things aren't worth reinventing?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-13-2017 01:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe, I dunno, but id Software have always been pushing the envelope. But I guess that was just Carmack then.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 03-13-2017 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Maybe, I dunno, but id Software have always been pushing the envelope. But I guess that was just Carmack then.

They haven't pushed that envelope for like 10+ years now.

The game is up.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-26-2017 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My time in mapping is over :(

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-26-2017 05:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Brush based mapping is a dying breed these days. CS:GO is probably one of the last AAA titles that uses it.
Shame really.

You can always just continue mapping for Q3 though. The CPMA community is still pretty active, and there's even a "kenyacup" tournament coming up in the next few weeks. (kenyacup means new maps basically. QW term?)

Here's a link to the CPMA discord:
https://discord.gg/hSwdQ2q

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-27-2017 12:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thank you for the link Fjoggs.
I never played cpma, is it so different from OSP?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-27-2017 01:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CPMA made OSP "obsolete" sometime after 2006 ish.
Tournament organizer began using CPMA with vQ3 settings instead of OSP, for various reasons. (Most importantly was the vastly superior netcode)

What most people think of when they hear CPMA is the CPM ruleset, which amongst other things allow aircontrol ala QW/Q1, doublejumping off legdes/ramps/stairs and fast switch on weapons.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.