Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Any TV buffs in here? (Now added stereo)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Any TV buffs in here? (Now added stereo)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-30-2016 04:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I am looking at getting a new TV in the next few months and I am starting to do a little research into what I want.

After a few hours I have narrowed down my choices to either;

• LG 55E6V
  • Samsung UE55KS9000

Now the LG is an OLED and the picture is incredible, but I am worried about ghosting etc on games and while watching sport.

Samsung is LED but with quantum dot technology or some shit like that, which is meant to be great for sports and once again the picture is pretty damn impressive, though not as impressive as the LG.

Samsung review can be found here; http://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue55ks9000/review

LG review can be found here (though they are testing the 65 inch version on this one); http://www.whathifi.com/lg/oled65e6v/review

Has anyone had any real dealing with these TVs at all or ones similar? Does anyone have an OLED and if so, how does it hold up for gaming and sports?

Any help greatly appreciated <3

Last edited by Don Carlos on 01-26-2017 04:33 AM, edited 1 time in total.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 12-30-2016 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a LG not a OLED though, all I can tell you is it has a great picture and has held up well. I know it isn't the question you asked but thought you might like to know that the LG's seem to hold up well. Good luck :)

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-30-2016 08:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Donny, last year I bought the Samsung 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV. I liek it...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-30-2016 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I prefer the LG to the Samsung I had, I wasnt overly impressed with the Samsung picture quality then the screen died. With OLED id have no problems picking the LG, technically speaking it should have a higher response time than any backlit unit n all ?, might be something youll wanna check with a demonstration but I doubt itll cause you any issues.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-30-2016 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did the research about 4 years ago and a lot has changed in the years since but, at the time, I bought a Samsung and have been most happy :) Features play a big part now; internet/Bluetooth/ connectivity for one and PVR functions too.

Any retailer should arrange a side by side demonstration for you.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-30-2016 02:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It hardly matters anymore. Most screens are made by LG anyway. Think Sony make their own too.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-26-2017 04:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK so to add to the TV I'm looking to add an amp and some speakers. Any advice on the components I'm looking at would be greatly appreciated

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-26-2017 04:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why not get a decent beamer instead? TV is nearly 99% pure shit anyway. Unless your walls are some kind of gramps-inspired primary colour you don't need a screen, just a wall - and your living room no longer needs to be built around a black object that sucks up light and takes up space. You can spend what you save on the costs of a new TV on the sound, get some kind of decent soundbar like the Sonos (as i recall you already have at least one of those amirite?) and you're done.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-26-2017 05:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not really that into projectors if I'm honest buddy.

I have a Sonos but it isn't what I'm after when it comes to TV sound. I'm after...more. I'm after a system that, speaker wise, I buy once and it lasts 20 years.

These speakers;

http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/kef-q ... -pack.html

This amp;

http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/denon-avr-x2300w.html

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-26-2017 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus Don, surely that's overkill :)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-26-2017 07:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:paranoid:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-26-2017 07:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no it isnt overkill ur fine

get what u want and enjoy!

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-26-2017 10:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got Sonance in-walls, a Klipsch 10" Subwoofer and a Denon receiver. The system sounds great cranking music or watching movies. I'll prolly upgrade my receiver in a year or so when I get a new TV.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-26-2017 10:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
MURRRRRRR

He's one of the many that have blocked your spakin, spaker.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-26-2017 10:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yup keep behind me chump :olo:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-26-2017 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Not really that into projectors if I'm honest buddy.

I have a Sonos but it isn't what I'm after when it comes to TV sound. I'm after...more. I'm after a system that, speaker wise, I buy once and it lasts 20 years.

These speakers;

http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/kef-q ... -pack.html

This amp;

http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/denon-avr-x2300w.html

Good choice! KEF is good stuff and a perfect match for the denon-amp!
If you want super sound for low money just look for a used set of Bowers&Wilkins 2xDM305 2xDM302 1xCC3. It will be around 250-300E
Get a nice Yamaha or Denon amp and youre fine for the rest of your life!

If youre looking for new stuff/speaker wise -check TEUFEL! http://www.teufel.de

EDIT: Got a pair DM305 at home, wired up to an old Technics-SU610 with Kimber-8pr/Bi-Wire-confection. Sounds good! :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-09-2017 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So Don Carlos, what did you end up getting if you did?

This is not a thoughtless bump as I might be looking for an new TV as early as tomorrow if the local Samsung repairer can't get mine working. It's been 2 weeks in their shop. I spoke to the shop yesterday and they were going to suggest to Samsung a new TV is called for here...

I called the retailer where I bought the TV from and it was explained they'd probably arrange a store credit and I can pick anything I like :up:

I started looking but it seems 3D televisions are going out of fashion! I have a few 3D DVDs but let's face it, I rarely watch TV in 3D. It was a novelty I guess.

Anyone bought a top line big screen TV lately? Thoughts please.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-10-2017 12:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not bought anything as yet as my house has been delayed and I'm not buying now and carting it around to me new place, I'll just buy it when I move in. I am absolutely going for the LG 55E6V though. Have read up on stuff to do with HDR and Samsungs current lack of Dolby Vision support, it's the only logical choice for me.

I'd highly recommend checking it out, Whiskey :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-10-2017 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started looking and comparing online specs after writing the above believing my set was doomed but it survived. I called the repair shop late yesterday and they said they were just about to call me to say it's fixed.

Long/short, they couldn't deliver until Tuesday so I went and got it. It's now home and safe, back up on the wall and I have internet again :)

Funny thing, it turned itself on at 6am this morning :confused: I better look at the settings.... They put in a new MB and Wi-fi card and it seems I have an updated TV with yet more options.

Reads CIA/Wikileaks regard them listening and watching :paranoid: :paranoid:

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-17-2017 06:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I picked up a Samsung KS8000 - been a great set for HDR gaming.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-26-2017 01:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So it appears that the LG is a go. I will be picking this up in the next few weeks I would guess.

As for the surround system - I've decided to go in deep on this one;

Dali Zensor 7's as the fronts
Dali Zensor Vokal Centre Speaker
Dali E12F Sub
Monitor Audio Bronze FX Surround rears

It's essentially going to be this set up;
http://www.richersounds.com/package/spe ... /pah011189

With these rear speakers;
http://www.richersounds.com/product/sta ... bron-fx-bk

They will fit flush onthe wall behind the sofa which will be nice.

Denon AVR X4300H Receiver
http://www.richersounds.com/product/av- ... rx4300-blk

I am then hoping to not have to spend any money on AV stuff for quite a while.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-27-2017 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My Samsung went back to the repair shop yesterday :smirk:
The screen gets roving coloured patterns on it >:( Red on black, green on white and they say it looks like the panel/screen....
Watch this space while I watch a small screen..

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-06-2017 12:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
So I am looking at getting a new TV in the next few months and I am starting to do a little research into what I want.

LG review can be found here (though they are testing the 65 inch version on this one); http://www.whathifi.com/lg/oled65e6v/review

So I finally pulled the trigger on this one (the 55" version) today. Hopefully it will be delivered early next week, if the company don't refuse the sale...I think they cocked the price up as it was some £600 cheaper than pretty much everywhere else.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-06-2017 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My screen is back on the wall :up:
The repair shop have now replaced all but the PSU now.... I've basically got a new telly :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-07-2017 05:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice one Whiskey

The order for my TV was cancelled by the company as I feared. Damn it.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-08-2017 11:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bought the Dali speakers and the Denon amp - going to be a beaut of a set up :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-16-2017 02:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TV arrived - best pictures I have ever had the pleasure of watching. I would highly recommend an LG OLED :up:

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 04-16-2017 05:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Knob.

Happy for you though, sounds like an awesome setup. Just sad for me as it's not my own :'(

Post a pic when you got it looking as you want :)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-16-2017 07:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turbanator wrote:
Knob.

:olo:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 04-16-2017 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

omg, turbah

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-02-2017 12:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK so now I've had the chance to spend some time with this TV, I can safely say it's the most incredible picture I've ever seen. I've got a lovely 4k version of Pacific Rim and it's utterly mind blowing.

I'm waiting on a custom TV stand before I set the surround sound up, but the inbuilt sound bar is doing me a great service currently.

If you are thinking of buying a new TV, don't think about it. Just buy one of these things.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-02-2017 12:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice. Did you settle on the the 55" version?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-03-2017 06:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes I thought 55 was more than enough for the space. Once I have everything set up I'll upload some pictures :up:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-16-2017 08:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is my sound setup

Onkyo TX-NR5007

Brighton 260T's

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.