Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Steam Link

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Steam Link

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-03-2017 06:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I bought on of these a while ago and now I'm in the new gaff with the cat 6 internal networking I thought I'd set it up and give it a go. I have to say I'm super impressed with how it works and how seem less it is playing games over the network.

I'm currently trying Doom (because it's visually demamding and I thought it would be a good test) and it's perfect. No lag, nothing.

I might invest in a wireless mouse and keyboard for FPS playing but puzzle games should be a blast on the Steam Controller.

Is anyone else using one of these at All?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-03-2017 08:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been playing with this stuff for a while, and honestly agree! between this and moonlight ( a Nvidia Shadow client for the raspberrypi ) and its crisp, decent picture quality with little difference between the source... its tits!

the nerd in me is wanting to do a rasbian pi 3B with a tweaked config to VPN to my homenetwork and moonlight into my main desktop to game on the go :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-03-2017 11:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It works beautifully.
A colleague of mine even used Steam streaming from work through a VPN to his home network to play Overwatch in full graphics settings and the input lag was, while noticeable, at a very acceptable level.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 12:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's good to hear. I'm going to run CATVI round this house into the walls with outlets while the floorboards are lifted so I can play games on the projector in the living room but keep my desktop in the office upstairs.

Bringing this old Edwardian terrace into the 21st century :up:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 12:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What device are you streaming to Donny?

Is a raspberry pi2 up to the task amidy? It'll be useful because my pi has trouble with some of the bulkier x265 codecs so I can just stream to it with the desktop rather than getting the pi to work itself stupid on decoding.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 01:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:

Is a raspberry pi2 up to the task amidy? It'll be useful because my pi has trouble with some of the bulkier x265 codecs so I can just stream to it with the desktop rather than getting the pi to work itself stupid on decoding.

I am streaming from my PC to an actual Steam Link box

http://www.game.co.uk/en/m/steam-link-816924

So the PC does all of the hard work and the link just outputs it perfectly. I've done a few tests and there is some lag but not enough for it to be an issue. I wouldn't play online competitive FPS games with it but anything else goes. For single player FPS games I think I'm going to invest in a wireless keyboard and mouse; the Steam Controller is just too fussy.

Good call with the cable; I have two small switches hooked up so most of my devices are hardwired. No flaky Wi-Fi fallout then :up:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 02:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh it's a bit shit that the link hardware doesn't have a separate audio out. Are you just using the audio from your TV?

I guess I could use an HDMI audio splitter

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 06:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I am just using the TV for now, but it will be plugged into this bad boy when my new cabinet arrives;

https://www.richersounds.com/product/av ... rx4300-blk

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-06-2017 08:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried a streaming setup when I first experimented with the idea of a living room pc, but it was years ago pre link, so I can't comment on it. I ended up connecting my pc directly to my receiver cuz i never sat down at my desk anyways. I'd just rather not play pc games if I had to sit at my desk.

The steam controller is pretty much the best solution to control your pc when not using a kb/m. There's still a few windows apps that the steam controller doesn't work for, like you cant even move the cursor unless you alt tab to something else (luckily you can bind alt tab to a button on the controller cuz it's the shit). Usually it's software installs, or that geforce experience shit that causes issues. I sugru'ed a hard mouse surface onto a mechanical kb for everything else that the steam controller doesn't work well for, and it beats the fuck out of any lapboard solutions i tried, including the razer turret. I also put in a rack to store it under my coffee table, and ran usb cables to it through the wall. Works pretty well for me, but also keep in mind that I don't get laid.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-06-2017 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I quit vanquish. I had fun but i had multiple progression blocking bugs where the script triggers for the next area wouldn't work. I can't get past this last one, tried reloading tons so FUCK it.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-08-2017 04:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:

Yup! The rpi2 does just fine.

It may have an issue if you try to scale it tho, but if you render 1:1 your all set.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.