Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Stranger Things

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Stranger Things

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-29-2016 02:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

10/10 would watch again. Glad i kept my netflix account now.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-29-2016 03:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agreed, about the show.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-29-2016 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good shout, there's so much drivel on netflix it takes ages to find something to watch. Plus Winona Ryder is the tits. Will give it a go.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-29-2016 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched the trailers, and I'm not interested in the slightest. I don't enjoy supernatural mystery shows or kid actors as main characters, so I can't see myself getting into this.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-29-2016 04:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I enjoyed it. Great acting, interesting writing, and some nice 80's nostalgia. It's like a cross between The Goonies and something from Stephen King. Winona Ryder is amazing.

I wonder what they're going to do with season 2. Apparently it will be a sequel of some sort, not an anthology series. There are a few unwrapped threads that could be interesting. Same actors? Will they be older?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-29-2016 05:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great series, i watched season 1 in one night!
I also love the main-theme...
Seems to me like series are the real new "blockbuster-movies" :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-29-2016 05:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually just watched the first episode last night. Bout to fire up episode two.

Good so far...

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 07-29-2016 05:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's good but a little too much for kids.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-29-2016 11:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty good indeed. Only point of critique is that they tend to overhomage to the point of copying verbatim. (ET, Close Encounters).

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 06:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just wrapped it up. Awesome show.

Reminded me of Twin Peaks. Even ended in the same fashion. Can't wait for season two...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 12:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched episode 1. It has potential (like a more adult X-Files) but so far it is a wee bit too much stacking of clichés. Wondering how that'll pan out.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

8 of 10 big hollywood productions are full of clichéde prequels/sequels or just 1:1 remakes nowadays. Not worth it.
Stranger Things sure does catch a lot of cliches (in honoring them as an homage) but at least it has an original story. (well, kind of. It's much more interesting than the Transformers-story, imo.)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

portals was a good movie. slidersesque
right down to a core

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 11:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
8 of 10 big hollywood productions are full of clichéde prequels/sequels or just 1:1 remakes nowadays. Not worth it.

That's why I pretty much skip movies these days and only invest in interesting TV series.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 09:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched the first 3 episodes now and I'm enjoying this. Still have to punch through some of the clichés (a nose bleed after telekinetic powers? Oh plz brah) and loose plot here and there, but while it doesn't bring much new to the table, what it does it does very well and that makes it a highly enjoyable series if you're into this kind of thing.

It also made me realize how cringeworthy X-Files really is, even though I enjoyed the new season on pure nostalgic merit.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 11:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Watched the first 3 episodes now and I'm enjoying this. Still have to punch through some of the clichés (a nose bleed after telekinetic powers? Oh plz brah) and loose plot here and there, but while it doesn't bring much new to the table, what it does it does very well and that makes it a highly enjoyable series if you're into this kind of thing.

It also made me realize how cringeworthy X-Files really is, even though I enjoyed the new season on pure nostalgic merit.

I say this without spoiling anything, but the whole nosebleed thing actually needs to be done. Or at least it helps in some certain scenes where the kids weren't sure if she had been using her powers, but the nosebleed gives it away...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's either a nosebleed or a suddent, paralysing migraine...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 08:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nosebleeds and migraines ?

Yep this is going on my watch list. No sarcasm.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 10:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Squeezing one's brain, I like it

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-23-2017 12:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-23-2017 02:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awwwww yeaaahh

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-23-2017 03:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you Brits get the same nostalgia from this show as us Yanks do? I feel like that's half the appeal of this series. Not sure if it resonates across the pond...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-23-2017 06:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The nostalgia factor was enough to make me do a full 180 on this show (I say while listening to Don't Stop Believin' by Journey). I ended up really loving the first season and I'm looking forward to the next. I'm glad I didn't completely write it off. :up:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 07-23-2017 11:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Do you Brits get the same nostalgia from this show as us Yanks do? I feel like that's half the appeal of this series. Not sure if it resonates across the pond...

The things that trailer are using to hit its nostalgic beat were global media phenomenon.
I remember a friend throwing a party for us all to go round to his place and watch Thriller on TV the night it was released. I played Dragon's Lair at the bus station in Stroud. And Ghostbusters was my favourite movie since Star Wars.

So yeah, we get it :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 01:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually think it's kind of arrogant to think the rest of the backwards world would have no idea who Michael Jackson or the ghostbusters are :dork:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 01:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty sure MJ was even bigger outside the US, not sure though.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 01:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to say, the trailer is epic.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 03:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a tad confused btw. in the opening of (the oscars was it?) they said Barb was still alive, yet in the ComicCon panel they said she would not be returning for S2.
what gives, nutflux :E

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 03:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One doesn't exclude the other does it?
Bran & co were missing from S05 of GoT as well

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 05:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I actually think it's kind of arrogant to think the rest of the backwards world would have no idea who Michael Jackson or the ghostbusters are :dork:

Not at all arrogance. I haven't studied 80's pop culture of Europe. Music and movies is one thing, but there's a lot more small nuances in Stranger Things...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 06:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Eraser wrote:

Not at all arrogance. I haven't studied 80's pop culture of Europe. Music and movies is one thing, but there's a lot more small nuances in Stranger Things...

Can you pull an example ?.

I think it's that a lot of us were raised with yank television and movies n all mind, like, arcades and chopper bikes never really took off over here but they still feel pretty familiar thanks to movies like ET and Tron.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 06:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah US pop culture spilled over into Europe a lot more than the other way around. Plenty of choppers around here by the way :)

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 06:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
xer0s wrote:

Can you pull an example ?.

I think it's that a lot of us were raised with yank television and movies n all mind, like, arcades and chopper bikes never really took off over here but they still feel pretty familiar thanks to movies like ET and Tron.

I'd have to watch the show again to give specific examples, but just know the feels go beyond movies and music. Clothing might be good example. Hair styles, etc...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yah, they can be picked up from movies to be familiar with which might seem strange to you but being raised on things like Goonies and Back to the Future as a kid lets you visualise that movie world, so any references that Stranger Things make to those styles does seem familiar.

Like, that flat top crew cut thing is nearly always associated with a strict father, military dude or bully. I had pretty much the same hair style as the lanky kid taking care of 11 n all.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 07:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Honestly, a lot of the clothing styles popular in the US in the 80's were popular here as well. Thats no different these days. Probably even more so, as young people in both the US and EU are looking at tye same celebs for inspiration and spread their style all over the world through blogs and vlogs. America is a much bigger influence on the world (mostly so Europe) than you think :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.