Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Star Trek Discovery

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Star Trek Discovery

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-27-2017 05:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good summary and I can understand where you're coming form and mostly agree, the artistic style is what I drew objection to and it's wether we, as fans, can accept that change.

In its defence those 2 episodes were just a prologue and it's still difficult at this stage to determine the 'personality' of the show.

There were quite a few instances in the old series where mankind weren't so pure and good, things like when Sisko was willing to commit mass genocide, faked intelligence to bring the Romulans into war and I think this was explored in Discovery, in that Burnham (who compromised her morals) wanted to fire 1st and went against her captain to avoid war and save the crew, where as the rest of starfleet respecting their morals lead to creating a war, I thought it done that pretty well imo as it showed there wasn't a hard line between good and evil.

Also the 'we come in peace' thing with the Klngons and using that as a way of threatening their beliefs and starting a war, I thought that was handled very well. They were'nt portrayed as mindless stereotypical warriors and monstrous, they gave them an inclusive society with motivation that people normally have where they're interested in protecting their freedom. Kind of showing disgust at Starfleet for not willing to defend themselves by lying instead, because the Klingon belief doesn't understand why they wouldn't in the same way that Starfleet belief doesn't understand how firing 1st can be seen as a good thing.

By giving both sides the same motivation It's exploring how even good intentions can become bad when people are entrenched in a certain belief and this is something that the logical thinking Vulcans figured out but an emotional 'pure and good' starfleet couldnt. One could say it's a cultural implosion :)

To me that's proper Trek anyway.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 09-27-2017 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i saw a bit on tv the other day

the part i saw was dark and the vibes were weird

that said i will give it a go for sure

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-27-2017 08:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jus watch the 1st 2 eps, it's more of a prologue anyway so the cast and ships n shit going forward are (mostly) going to be different anyway.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 06:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so i checked it out

erg

imo this is good for non star trek fans and bad for star trek fans.

so many crucial star trek elements things missing from this.

-horrible depressing theme music, perfect for this dead show.
-to dark
-no cool guys (caviler cowboys)
-no star trek trademark tongue and cheek humor.
-no star trek trademark new and inventive whiz bang tech.
-no hot chicks , they take the two beautiful lady and make one character an overly emotional conflicted Vulcan logic mess and the other just seems muddled.
-the captain doest have the presence and i find her diction/enunciation are unclear and distracting, star trek has always had very clear speaking actors.
-to many rubber faces
-the whole klingon thing , just wtf , no
-no fun and excitement, just not entertaining
-hardly any character development besides the cap and no 1

i can prob think of more but i am boring myself now

* and no new cool and interesting android

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-02-2017 02:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a yawn fest.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-02-2017 03:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hadnt checked any opinions regarding it before i spec'ed Star trek discovery but after i did check some reviews and that lead me to The Orville!!

i spec'ed the first 4 epi and i really really like it =!

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-02-2017 07:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This ep was even better than the 1st 2 :)

Orville is ok, has the MacFarlane humour all over it though and is more like Galaxy Quest than Star Trek

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 12:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
I hadnt checked any opinions regarding it before i spec'ed Star trek discovery but after i did check some reviews and that lead me to The Orville!!

i spec'ed the first 4 epi and i really really like it =!

colleague of mine mentioned this too. Watched a trailer and it looks more like Star Trek than the new Star Trek does

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I found it very easy to enjoy!

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 10-04-2017 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just caught up and actually quite enjoyed it all so far - I always liked Trek but have never been "a fan" or watched a whole series of it so far - as such I have no real investment in anything "being Star Trek" ie. klingons, tech etc.... I like the Klingon direction tbh, they look more alien now than in previous shows.

The first two episodes (taken as a whole) really come across like a "Trek Movie", which sets the background for the current storylines. Ep 3 is the real start, felt like a star trek episode and had some interesting directions.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-04-2017 10:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I dunno about ep3 either. The scale was smaller and more character focused which I liked, but the whole thing felt too much like half a dozen ideas from other scifii movies blended together to make something new(-ish). Everything came across very forced.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-04-2017 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's a good point actually, I think the ep would've benefitted by excluding the ship boarding and having that a s a focus for another ep.

It's fair to say that this ep suffered the usual pilot episode problems, in that they're trying to introduce the characters and do a story, making it jump around a bit.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-04-2017 04:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just watched S01E03 ~ I quite liked it. Especially the ambiguity of the main character - Is she likable or not?

Also the main story arc seems interesting.

Let's see where this goes.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-04-2017 10:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Especially the ambiguity of the main character - Is she likable or not?

Really? To me it felt like she's written as a good character who, omg, needs to do something bad so suddenly everyone can hate her.
And even the bad thing wasn't all that bad IMO. Her actions were driven entirely by purely good intentions.

Quote:
That's a good point actually, I think the ep would've benefitted by excluding the ship boarding and having that a s a focus for another ep.

The boarding sequence felt more like something out of Alien or Doom than Star Trek. Even the monster looked like a Doom 3 pinky demon
Maybe it's me still not getting over how un-StarTrek everything looks, but it's almost like the original intention was to write a more Star Trek-y script but some suit came running in demanded that stuff be dark so they had to force that in.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-04-2017 11:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh it deffo was influenced by Alien and arguably done a better job too :)

I don't think it's un-ST though, the series has always drawn inspiration from other shows / movies. Empok Nor for DS9, Impulse in ENT was basically an excuse to get zombies on but the character building and sense of wonder is still there.

There are some deeper aspects (like arguing and disreguard for command) that I'm hoping will pad out in the upcoming episodes but some of the stuff I was concerned about in the 1st 2 eps have already been placed on the back burner and am still impressed overall.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-05-2017 04:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I fucking love it. Seriously, it's so well done, the production quality is amazing and the actors are great.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-31-2017 01:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So far this show has exactly 0 likeable characters :disgust:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-31-2017 01:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spacey disagrees.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-31-2017 04:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Spacey disagrees.

:clownboat:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-31-2017 07:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First two eps are gash, after that it gets much betterererererer

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-31-2017 08:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seen the first five eps so far, but meh. It all feels too contrived and forced to me.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-31-2017 08:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm quite enjoying it. It's nice to see a Trek with a modern episode format instead of the staid old "Monster of the Week" thing.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-31-2017 09:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got to say, i didn't like the swearing.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-31-2017 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wait, Star Trek with strong language? :dts:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-31-2017 01:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

See also: The Voyage Home

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-01-2017 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Picard swore in Klingon too

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-01-2017 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2 'fucks' in the same scene with a pinch of 'shits' and now it's lock stock :rolleyes:

What'd we think of the last few eps n all ?, for me it just keeps getting better. The Lorca eps were great with the character arcs and the last ep was lifted straight from a 'villain of the week' staple the old series were renowned for.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-01-2017 08:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I enjoyed it, even though it was a spin on a story trope that's been told many, many times before. I suspect we're going to see more of Mud, and I was especially pleased they didn't simply kill him off.

Lorca's a great character, and a very strong captain.
I particularly liked how he confirmed the admiral's suspicions about him by realising that leaving her captured was more advantageous to him.

That's one stone cold motherfucker.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-01-2017 12:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

Scanning through topic and I realize it is out :eek: Off to look.......

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-02-2017 12:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Go watch Galaxy Quest :!:

Searching PC for the word 'Galaxy' as I know it's somewhere here...

:eek: I found an oldie and a must see. Remember The Outer Limits TV series? My search found the episode The Galaxy Being and I had goosebumps in a moment watching.
Oh, and yes, I have Galaxy Quest so I will watch in the next day or two.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-02-2017 10:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Go watch Galaxy Quest :!:

And I am... 26 minutes in and it is brilliant :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-03-2017 04:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol Galaxy quest is awesome. I've been watching Orville and sadly it's not as funny...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-04-2017 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just finished Galaxy Quest.

In one word brilliant and their 'entrance' in the ending minutes :up: so a simply must see.
9/10

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-04-2017 03:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you seen Staw Wars yet? That's good too...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-10-2017 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Have you seen Staw Wars yet? That's good too...

I have never heard of Staw Wars and I am making little sense on a google search :( My money is that it is a send up.

Re: Star Trek Discovery, I have yet to see an episode so ask, how's it going?

Oh, I found this interesting ... IMDB list of episodes

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.