Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Fjo3tourney6 - Beta Release

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Fjo3tourney6 - Beta Release

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-26-2017 06:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First off, let me say that it feels slightly weird posting a beta thread some 14 years after I posted my first here. Goodness me how time flies.
Activity has dropped 'slightly' since then, but I figured some people might be interested anyway. I don't expect much feedback, but I might as well post it. :)

I've posted some screenshots of this before (namely 6 years ago.. :tard: ), so if it looks familiar, it probably is.
Past few months I've been playing some more Q3 again, and poking around in Radiant. Due to an upcoming tournament (which I mentioned in a different thread), I decided to get off my ass and fix some of the errors that prevented this map from being selected.

Anyways, enough yapping. Some info:

Known errors:
  • .bsp is called Fjo3tourney6_b2 (don't forget the b2 if you launch with \map)
  • Really need to use CPM movement to play this map properly.
  • .map file is included, but it's a mess collected over several years (some weird stuff going on in there). Don't expect to learn anything useful from it :P
  • It's poorly hinted. I didn't spend much time in general on the structural hull, because I honestly just couldn't be arsed. I'll probably look more into it once I finish the graphics. r_speeds hover around 20k.
  • Clipping is a bit lazy atm (invisible walls here and there which I'm never a fan of). Same as above.
  • The rock/grass brushwork is pretty lazy. Players can't reach most of it, but it's flat and doesn't look all that great. I'll probably fix it depending on how the tournament goes.
  • There's some wtf physics going on regarding water flow and general "where the hell does this water come from/go anyway". Stuff like that is what I would usually spend ages on, but I said fuck it, just release. Noone really cares in the end. :D

Download link:
Fjo3tourney6_b2.zip

Screenshots:

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 06-29-2017 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bounced around on this for a little while last night .. fun! It was like a flashback to our Challenge Forum days on promode.org, I miss people putting out maps like this. I like how you worked the water into it .. purdy. :D

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-29-2017 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i can't really speak on the gameplay since i don't play cpma.

from a visual standpoint, i would consider changing the grass floor. it looks almost like slime to me.

the different shaders used for bouncers were confusing to me at first, but maybe people in cpma are used to it.

you might want to reconsider your color scheme. the map just screams green right now, and the yellow/orange lights you have worked in clash more than contrast imo.

cool theme overall though. nice work :)

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-29-2017 11:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glad you like it!
Here's some info on the tournament that the map is included in:
http://esreality.com/post/2878140/cpma-kenya-cup-2017/

Pat's Trespass is also in there. :)

I did some minor changes to the map, but most important changes was to add a bit more unique and consistent jumppad, and adding bot support. No optimization done for the bots though.
I'll most likely convert most of the textures to .JPG, to reduce on the pk3 size.

Link:
Fjo3tourney6_b3.zip

Screenshots: (The mountain range you see in shot 2 aren't there. I just tried out Hipshot's skyportal from Rustgrad, and forgot to remove it when I took these screenshots)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-29-2017 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up :)

too bad they don't seem to like the item placement, lol

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-29-2017 02:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played a game on it earlier (vs an actual player and not a bot :P ), and it felt pretty good. I don't necessarily agree with his statement. The biggest problems for me, was the amount and placement of spawn positions (like 5 in the RA room), and health bubble positions.
I could upload the demo if you want. It's my first game on it, so I'm a bit confused at times. :D

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-30-2017 12:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah that would be sick!

believe it or not i don't think i've ever seen a real game played on one of my maps.

will any of the kenyacup games be recorded? i would really like to watch the tournament if possible.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-30-2017 05:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty much everyone will record demos, and there will be a stream going as well. :)

https://www.twitch.tv/nekontv

I'll upload the demo when I get home from work :)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-30-2017 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

love the colour scheme :up:

also, dat vertical gameplay :drool:

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 07-01-2017 03:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually didn't notice your comment on the map until now Pat. I think I was writing my comment about the new beta while you were writing yours. :)

The jumppads were a problem indeed, I just didn't find a style for them until b3. I'm personally happy with the color scheme, so I won't make any changes to it. Ready to just wrap it up after some polish, and call it done. No major changes :)

I was working on changing the grass a bit, maybe add some more contrasts, but we'll see. Comment noted!

Here's the demo I was talking about for Trespass. Sorry it took so much time, I figured I may as well upload it to youtube using Maverick's demo->youtube feature on igmd.org, but the rendering process took a bit more time than I thought, because I wanted high quality. :D
Hope you enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGZ4bGVhf-c
You'll see me struggling repeatingly to remember where the teles goes, and general connectivity. (As you do when you've never seen a map before. These are literally my first 10 minutes of playing the map)
I also never noticed the health bubble behind the RA until after the game.

Seremtan:
Glad you like it! I've always been a fan of implementing verticality in gameplay, especially when the layout is pretty open like it is here.

I'll upload some demos of me on this map, getting my ass handed to me, so whoever wants to see some gameplay can do just that. :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-02-2017 01:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome. That was really fun to watch. I am looking forward to the KenyaCup. GG :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-04-2017 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seems a beautiful map :)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-15-2017 12:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good Stuff Dude!
Maybe check this!
Give that Spot Water like 4 Units!

And maybe this!

When i exit that porter i always want to jump over to the right, dunno why :D
Its clipped Godlike, but maybe try 1 or 2 little platforms to jump around.
Im just sharing my impressions ;)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-01-2017 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi, Fjoggs. 1) When player takes RA, he rushes into teleporter, which leads directly to YA. 2) I'd remove a light texture from the bottom of the recess into which two streams flow - texture prevents to create an illusion that this groove is deep.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-05-2017 01:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you all for the feedback. :)

Gargamel: I considered letting people on that platform, but eventually removed the possibility. The new beta doesnt have an invisible wall there anymore.

Obsessed: Valid concern, which I fixed in beta 4 (that I never posted here, oops). YA is now down with the now removed RG. (there's an LG there now)

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-05-2017 01:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been hard at work these past months (seriously, this is like 2005 level of activity for me) making the map looking more modern.

Gameplay related changes from beta 3 -> beta 5:
  • RG is removed, and replaced by LG
  • Green Armor is now where LG was
  • YA area near MH is now wider, making it less dangerous and easier to navigate
  • No obvious invisible walls near YA anymore

Design changes:
Way too many to list :D

Known issues:
Some of the uv-mapping for the terrain is pretty sloppy at times
Weird dark patches/walls going on near RA (no idea how to fix)

Download link:
Fjo3tourney6_b5.zip
Remember to type \map fjo3tourney6_b5

Screenshots:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-07-2017 01:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quick feedback:
you're an asshole, team up with twallets!
Cheers fucko! ;)

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-07-2017 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have no idea if I'm missing a reference here or something, so thanks? :P

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 10-09-2017 10:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been running around for a little while now, mostly checking graphics and testing angles and so. It's a nice level! Perhaps you used a bit too many colors though? What happens if you change all the upper flags to just yellow and also keep those yellow lights, make all teleports on the lower level green and upper yellow?

And, here's a movement thing =) I feel that you made a mistake not letting people walk on certain places where you really feel like you want to and can't, like above the RA, on those big stone/wood guards. From some angle you feel you can jump up on them normally, but you get hindered by clipping =D and the gap between the guards are almost exactly like the player, so you feel you can go behind there, for a regular FFA game, it might be fun to allow people more freedom here (there were some other place too, just can't remember what that was), or extend them up more and close that gap a bit more too.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-10-2017 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I probably went a bit overboard on the colors yes. :D
I'll play around a bit with keeping the flags one color, good point! I'm quite fond of them right now, so I'm not sure if I'll change it, but I'll try and see what it looks like. :)
The teleporters are actually color coded and I've gotten feedback from players that they appreciate that, because it makes it easier to learn the map. (Red goes to RA, blue goes to MH and yellow goes to YA).

Re clipping:
I'm lying to the player quite a bit in this level, and I'm not really a fan of it. I added to much stuff behind the non-player zone that probably should have been implemented differently. I've already narrowed the gap between the RA board/pillars thingies due to what you said (feels like you should be able to get through), but raising them is a good point. I'll do that.
If this wasn't a competitive 1on1 map, I'd probably cut down on the restrictive clipping. You know these cpma players just hate to get stuck :D
I will think more about this when I work on my next map, to avoid causing confusion about where you can or cannot go.
(The hedge trim that goes around the level also looks like you can stand on, but you can only stand on it next to the ivy bridge)

I will probably use most of the feedback at this point for my next map, unless it's something I can easily change. (Like the pillars/colors of flags). Feels like I've been working on this for ages (in fact the first beta was released in 2011 :owned: ), so at this point I just want to finish it. :D

Thanks for the feedback!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.