Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Match-making to boost micro-transactions

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Match-making to boost micro-transactions

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-22-2017 11:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:smirk:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-23-2017 12:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-23-2017 09:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This.article is showing how money-hungry publishers chasing microtransactions are forcing devs tp ove away from their expertise and do things they're not comfortable with, to the detriment of the game's eventual quality. It literally destroys development studios, like Visceral and all those other EA owned studios that closed up.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... netisation

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-03-2017 05:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Call of Duty WW2 has daily quests that require you to watch someone else open loot boxes.
Just to, you know, reinforce the idea of haves and have-nots:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... loot-boxes

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-03-2017 07:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Call of Duty WW2 has daily quests that require you to watch someone else open loot boxes.
Just to, you know, reinforce the idea of haves and have-nots:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... loot-boxes

Quote:
Thankfully, it looks like Call of Duty: WW2's loot boxes contain only cosmetic items. And there's no way to buy them with real money - for now.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-03-2017 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, for now. The slow creep of microtransactions doesn't stop here.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 06:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, pretty lol.

btw this was the reply to a user complaining he couldnt play with Vader out of the box, but has to unlock him with SW Bucks (or whatever) which can also be bought for Real Bucks.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 06:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Community calculated the amount of playing time required to unlock the heroes in the game. You'd basically need to sink 40 hours of gameplay into it to unlock a single hero:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 08:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is many of the hours

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 09:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You cant buy ingame credits with real money.

I have to play the video game to unlock an ultra rare skin? Bring back DLC!

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 10:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

:smirk:

Really enjoying this. Just finished the main story after 49 hours with plenty left to do. I also bought the season pass. $2/hr for great entertainment. :up:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

It's not a skin, it's a playable character with different abilities. One that was available to all in the previous game.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 12:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

Quote:
Even dumping real money into the game buy purchasing crystals which can in turn be used to buy loot crates offers only a round-about way at best to finally getting your hands on some of your favourite Star Wars characters.

Sorry bro

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 01:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So you can buy loot boxes with real money that have credits in them? or a chance at some stuff you can sell for credits? either way its not the same and certainly not an intended shortcut to champs that are unlocked through progression.

In battlefront 1 there was a black storm trooper that cost a billion credits and you had to be level 1 million to get and everyone was running around with him within a week.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 01:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
shaft wrote:

It's not a skin, it's a playable character with different abilities. One that was available to all in the previous game.

sorry, a champ with slight sidegrade abilities...

I remember 12years ago when Battlefield 2 came out and you had to play multiplayer, rank up and do activities to unlock content. It was hailed as a feature and a reward for playing and it felt good.
Times have changed.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 12:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EA seems to agree

Quote:
A new blog post announced that the price of heroes will be reduced by 75 percent, allowing players to run around as their favorite characters much sooner. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader used to cost 60,000 in-game credits to unlock but will now cost 15,000 instead. Emperor Palpatine, Chewbacca, and Leia Organa will have their costs reduced from 40,000 to 10,000 credits. The game’s protagonist Iden Versio will have her cost reduced to 5,000 credits.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 01:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck microtransactions altogether.

*buys another 50-pack of loot boxes in Overwatch*

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 01:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The new Need for Speed game on iOS and Android has a rather ironic name: Need for Speed - No Limits.

It's ironic because, like Dungeon Keeper, the game tells you to wait for extended periods of time before you can continue playing. This time supposedly in order to refuel your car. Want to speed up the proces? Sure you can, for three in-game bars of gold. How do you acquire these bars of gold? Well, you buy them for real money of course! (note: the screenshots are actually in Dutch)

You'll notice it says 1m25s here. Skipping costs 3 bars of gold. How much does a bar of gold cost you then? 10 cents? 15 cents? Nope, about $1.03 (that is, assuming you buy 290 gold bars at once at a low-low price of $300)

Kind of a limiting factor for a game called "No Limits"

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 01:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
EA seems to agree

It's a cynical bait-and-switch, and the MMO industry have perfected this over years.

Release something that really shouldn't have a price associated with it at all, at a massively inflated price.
Wait for the public outcry, then lower the price to make it look like you're doing the userbase a favour.

Works every time.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 01:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agreed.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 01:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Weirdly, this actually breeds brand loyalty too, as those who've been hoodwinked by such behaviour honestly think the big, faceless corporation has done them a favour.

It doesn't help that even on the best gaming news sites, the companies that do this are never called out on it. They report the outrageous initial price, then the subsequent drop, but never tell their audience they've been duped.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 02:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jim Sterling does a good job of holding publishers and developers accountable.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 02:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That he does, but I get the feeling his approach means people don't take him seriously.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 02:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As much as I like Jim Sterling, he's making it a habit to make 15 minute videos while he made his point well and clear at the 2 minute mark and then just continues to say the same thing over and over using synonyms for whatever he said before.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 03:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 04:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh...

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 04:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the games media is overegging this one a bit, frankly. The 60k credit unlock for Luke and Vader was a steep, yes, but at least there's no fucking season pass. EA's quarterly DLC releases have totally fucked the Battlefield and Battlefront communities these past years and they've FINALLY removed the paid DLC aspect of their release schedule. This is big, and good news :!:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 07:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
I think the games media is overegging this one a bit, frankly. The 60k credit unlock for Luke and Vader was a steep, yes, but at least there's no fucking season pass. EA's quarterly DLC releases have totally fucked the Battlefield and Battlefront communities these past years and they've FINALLY removed the paid DLC aspect of their release schedule. This is big, and good news :!:

:arrow:

Mat Linnett wrote:
It's a cynical bait-and-switch, and the MMO industry have perfected this over years.

Release something that really shouldn't have a price associated with it at all, at a massively inflated price.
Wait for the public outcry, then lower the price to make it look like you're doing the userbase a favour.

Works every time.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 07:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I feel kind of bad for the actual developers though. You know, the coders, artists, voice actors and everyone who actually built the game. They poured their hearts and souls into this, only to have it slammed by everyone because of its "micro"-transactions. From what I've seen, the game itself looks absolutely superb.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 07:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I feel for the devs in these situations. I mean, the level of expertise required just for the modelling and animation these days is phenomenal. I can only hope they end up in better companies.

But even so, I'm not stupid enough to throw money at these games to "support the devs", which is often the other argument those in denial throw out to justify their purchase.
You're not supporting the devs. You're supporting the shareholders.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 08:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This micro transaction stuff isn't going away. People want it and they voted for it with their money and 99% of the people buying it don't give a shit what reddit is crying about. Look at the bright side, micro transactions will probably go away when the majority of games become subscription based in a few years. *play the first level free!*

I bought the game and logged in last night just to check out the heroes and I already had 17k credits and could unlock Skywalker just from letting my kids play the 10hr trail over the weekend...ezpz.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 01:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This made the national news in the UK.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

beats talking about Brexit

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-15-2017 12:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-15-2017 04:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's cooldowns in Battlefront II as well. This is ridiculous.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.