Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        So what browser isn't malware now?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: So what browser isn't malware now?

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 11-15-2017 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Disabled all automatic updates in firefox and it still downloaded "quantum", broke all my add-ons, etc. Pretty much malware at this point. Is there any browser besides firecucks and chrome that aren't compromised and absolute shit? Getting tired of NuInternet.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-15-2017 09:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Firefox works fine for me. But I don't have a bunch of add-ons. Any add-ons worth having will probably update soon anyway.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 01:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Firefox Quantum is the next big Firefox release. It's much, much faster than the previous Firefox releases.

The problem with add-ons not working is mostly the fault of the add-on, not Firefox. Either the add-on is too strict in describing which Firefox versions it supports, or the author hasn't updated the add-on to become compatible with the new Firefox version. I've been using Firefox Quantum for quite some time now through the Firefox beta update channel and it's a phenomenal browser.

So in other words: stop bitching and pull that thumb out of yer arse.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree, Firefox Quantum is a huge leap in terms of performance. Add-on creators had a lot of time to update their add-ons prior to the release too. I hear you can install the version 52 ESR release to continue using add-ons that are incompatible though, and still receive security updates.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 04:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, and using terms like "malware" and "compromised and absolute shit" really doesn't help his point.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 05:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 09:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Yeah, and using terms like "malware" and "compromised and absolute shit" really doesn't help his point.

No, I agree but I have used FF for years and had little trouble so I can only offer Safari as an alternative Bacon
https://windows10portal.com/download-safari/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-20-2017 04:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Safari for windows isn't receiving any updates anymore so it's one of the worst choices of browser right now.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 12-04-2017 02:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Eraser, I should have added the word "borderline" before malware, but I still stand by that statement. When software automatically changes itself with no indication or warning to the user, no indication any update is even happening, what do you call it then? It's nowhere in the software licence agreement (that I could find). It's shady as fuck. You're basically saying you wouldn't mind if firefox all of a sudden updated itself with telemetry and shit added, without your consent, without any warning or notifications/dialogue boxes, nothing, all while you have updates disabled. Even a simple warning before I open it and telling me "hey, it's going to update to quantum and your addons/extensions will most likeloy not be supported, do you want to continue?".

Also, are you implying that no browsers are comprimised and/or shit? Internet explorer 11 has a 0day almost every month.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-05-2017 01:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Automatic updating has been part of both Firefox and Chrome (and hey, guess what, Windows itself!) for aaaages.
You can disable automatic updates but then your browser will end up becoming a security risk. If you want to run Firefox and benefit from security patches/bug fixes but no changes in features, then you could choose to run the Firefox ESR release.

Also, again, if your addons broke because of a Firefox update, the fault lies with the addons, not Firefox.
And no, I'm not implying browsers are without faults. In fact, I find it funny that you complain about security issues but at the same time want to opt out of updates containing security fixes.

You're blaming a lot on Firefox that can be attributed to your own ignorance.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 12-05-2017 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eh, whatever. I'm not going to argue with you when you can't even bother to read what I said. I never said I have a problem with automatic updates. I said I have a problem when said updates happen without telling me or any indication anything is happening. I also had updates disabled and it still updated. Windows at least tells you an update is going to happen and asks if you want to postpone etc. I'm not a baby that needs every single security update for any of these pieces of software. Aside from the Wannacry worm, there are no other updates you even need for windows as the average user if you have any common sense tm and don't use javascript and/or only visit trusted websites. I just want a browser without this no warning update and not designed to spy on you (like chrome).

Last edited by Bacon on 12-05-2017 01:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-05-2017 09:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't do it, Bacon! No. No. NO! Don't you dare! Don't eat it!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-11-2017 06:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bacon wrote:
Eh, whatever. I'm not going to argue with you when you can't even bother to read what I said. I never said I have a problem with automatic updates. I said I have a problem when said updates happen without telling me or any indication anything is happening. I also had updates disabled and it still updated. Windows at least tells you an update is going to happen and asks if you want to postpone etc. I'm not a baby that needs every single security update for any of these pieces of software. Aside from the Wannacry worm, there are no other updates you even need for windows as the average user if you have any common sense tm and don't use javascript and/or only visit trusted websites. I just want a browser without this no warning update and not designed to spy on you (like chrome).

Well, then you don't use Windows 10, right? Because Windows 10 just informs you that update was already installed. It doesn't ask for permission, updates automatically whenever an update is available (and computer is powered on), and then only asks you to restart your computer in time you can set (and it must be set, you can't choose never). You can't disable auto updates, you can't decide what updates shall be installed, you can't do anything.

Also, do not believe that Chrome doesn't spy on you. Basically, every browser does. MS Edge, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc. - all of these submit small pieces of data to review, whenever an error occured, for development feedback. These data include browsing history and small amount of cookies, for instance. Firefox is pretty much a straightforward and more transparent browser, however it still does spy on you. Chrome is developed by Google, and this company is known for its heavy cooperation with NSA, which basically spies on everyone, without even noticing it. Just transmit some text including words identified for terrorism (I won't include these here, for my own safety), and you'll see how quickly police arrives in front of your door :up: You might think you're safe using TOR. Nope. It only takes longer to trace communication. Silk Road is an evidence of surveillance in darknet, too...

It is impossible to remain truly anonymous these days. You're constantly surveilled on streets, using public computers, even using your private computer for browsing the Internet. You're surveilled on every inch of the world, even from the sky. There's nowhere to hide. You can't do anything about this. Only take the fact and if you want to keep private and anonymous, you have to start obfuscate your meanings. How? Well, it's up to you...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-11-2017 08:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys leave the flames for GD, k?

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 12-11-2017 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
Also, do not believe that Chrome doesn't spy on you. Basically, every browser does.

No shit, that's why I said "like chrome" because it's the most blatant for spying. Although English isn't your first language so i'll let it slide.

I also don't use Windows 10 because i'm not a fool. Anyways, i'm using IceCat in a Linux VM now. Problem solved.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 01-13-2018 02:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like Opera, personally

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 01-13-2018 07:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New Firefox is great, I'm happy to dump Chrome for good.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.