Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 05:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also driving a manual in stop and go rush hour traffic is enough to make you want to kill yourself.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 05:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Also driving a manual in stop and go rush hour traffic is enough to make you want to kill yourself.

Agree/Disagree.

Depends on the car. My honda, Meh, I don't really notice since its so effortless to drive. Some big built anything? Hahaha no, Dead leg in 5 blocks, Fuck no thanks.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 05:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm with shaft... Fucking euromorons are clueless dipshits...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 05:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Says the yanks who've been driving autos since 3 gears

Not sure if it's still common over the last 3 or 4 years either but autos have a history of thinking they know what's the best gear, don't know many with autos but my mate hated his Cupra when zipping around town because of the kick down.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 11-16-2017 05:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 05:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
xer0s wrote:

That’s bullshit. I was driving a stick when I was 11 and most people I know are the same way. Of course, I don’t drive a stick now. Because why would I? Pointless unless it’s a sports car or you’re driving a big rig hauling a load...

The reaction in this thread and your post are exactly my point. In Europe it's not even a thing you'd bring up because it's assumed. Over the pond there's this big pretention about having a manual car and being able to drive it when it's just a state of normality over here.

My reaction? The only reason I brought it up was because of your comment. It’s not something I would normally even talk about, but you say “yanks make a big deal about it.” I’m telling you we don’t. It’s normal to have learned a stick at a young age. That’s my point...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 05:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Yep, if you drive and auto here it's assumed you can't drive :)

lol, wtf. Why? What’s the obsession with manual transmission? Why would you not want an automatic?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 06:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You need to redo your test in a manual if you pass in an auto cos it's easier?, idk. Autos have a history of being dodgey though, less gears, more fuel, more faults, lazy changes, expensive to fix and wrong gears. I know apparently that a lot of these have been fixed over the years.

Was also thinking that maybe it's cos yank roads are generally better for the average car ?, the UK roads probaly exposed the faults of older autos moreso as you're constantly trying to zip into spaces on roundabouts, crossing junctions n shit ?.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 06:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

With the autos in your everyday minivan its hardly an issue. When it comes to luxury sports cars they're way more tuned and have different modes you can put them in depending on how aggressive you want to drive (sport/economy/track). You can always use the paddle shift or manual shift function to override also.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was driving stick when I was fucking ur moms when they were a children... Chumps...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
I was driving stick when I was fucking ur moms when they were a children... Chumps...

So you fuck kids? Thats no good.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 09:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

That's exactly why I buy autos :smirk:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 12:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

yep, ef that.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 01:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Y'all just rehashing my arguments now :disgust:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 01:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
This post has been made by a user that is on your ignore list. Display this post.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 02:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 10:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My car has a cable clutch and is known to have one of the heaviest clutches you'll get on a car. Rush hour traffic is fine unless you're sat on a hill :p

One of the exhaust silencers (mufflers) snapped off the other day. I've had to stuff a rag down the pipe of the missing one and cable/zip it on to keep it reasonably bearable to drive without feeling ashamed.

£400 catback exhaust replacement on order >:(

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 11:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I’m still not seeing a definitive reason for wanting a manual over automatic...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 12:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Off to watch The Grand Tour being filmed next Friday

Keep a look out for me on the first episode of series 2 :up:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 01:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I’m still not seeing a definitive reason for wanting a manual over automatic...

If you only do city driving, autos make sense.

If you want to go drive fast around some bendy roads going up and down hills and things where an auto just can't predict the right gear then being able to shift up and down the gearbox is far more fun.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

That should be great fun :up:

1000 internet points to wear a Quake3World shirt :p

Here you are

https://www.shirtinator.co.uk/design/pe ... n=45804633

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 01:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

outstanding :up:

when does S02 start?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 02:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

December 8th :up:

It's being filmed in Oxford...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

really? i live here and i ain't heard shit :|

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 10:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Santa Claus paid me a visit today :D and I now have two boxes to gift wrap for under the tree.

Samsung HW-M450 2.1ch Soundbar w/ Wireless Subwoofer and the mate :D
Samsung SWA-8500S Wireless Rear Speaker Kit

An unboxing video here....

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-18-2017 01:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

amazon black friday deal?
I was actually eyeing the same setup for in the new living room (moving the proper 5.1 setup to the rec room) but felt like further research was needed.

tell me how it works out for you :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-18-2017 05:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
My car has a cable clutch and is known to have one of the heaviest clutches you'll get on a car. Rush hour traffic is fine unless you're sat on a hill :p

One of the exhaust silencers (mufflers) snapped off the other day. I've had to stuff a rag down the pipe of the missing one and cable/zip it on to keep it reasonably bearable to drive without feeling ashamed.

£400 catback exhaust replacement on order >:(

Shit that sucks man, I had the same thing happen with the GTI one day. There's a clamp under the car that connects the exhaust/mufflers in the back with the engine in the front. The previous owner must have had issues as it'd been removed and a cheap clamp was put on that rusted out and got loose one day. Sounded so awful, fortunately even though the engine wasn't connected to a muffler at all there was a bar that held both ends of the of the tubing that lead to the engine and mufflers that prevented them from dropping to the ground.

I had to drive the car roughly 130km's home before I figured out what'd happened and to fix it myself. Felt like the car lost like 100hp too while it was disconnected.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-18-2017 06:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:

That should be great fun :up:

1000 internet points to wear a Quake3World shirt :p

Here you are

https://www.shirtinator.co.uk/design/pe ... n=45804633

I'm going with my good lady so hoping to get to the front row. Wearing something with writing on will reduce those chances.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-18-2017 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Shit that sucks man, I had the same thing happen with the GTI one day. There's a clamp under the car that connects the exhaust/mufflers in the back with the engine in the front. The previous owner must have had issues as it'd been removed and a cheap clamp was put on that rusted out and got loose one day. Sounded so awful, fortunately even though the engine wasn't connected to a muffler at all there was a bar that held both ends of the of the tubing that lead to the engine and mufflers that prevented them from dropping to the ground.

I had to drive the car roughly 130km's home before I figured out what'd happened and to fix it myself. Felt like the car lost like 100hp too while it was disconnected.

Ouch, that could have been pretty painful if it had fallen off with someone driving behind you.

I think it's worth putting loose cable ties along the exhaust tied around the car frame or whatever just to catch it if it ever does fall - I think that's what I'm going to do when I replace this one.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-18-2017 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
amazon black friday deal?
I was actually eyeing the same setup for in the new living room (moving the proper 5.1 setup to the rec room) but felt like further research was needed.

tell me how it works out for you :up:

No problem MKJ, well a little one, I won't open the boxes until Christmas Day.

No, not an Amazon deal. I did some research online for about a week and visited 3 retail outlets to see it for real. At each I asked for their best price as I was going to buy but tomorrow and I did. I returned to the first shop who offered 10% off. I was happy enough to flash the plastic and I am liking the Samsung brand of recent years.

It was this setup or an 5.1 (7.1) amplifier to power some B&W speakers fitted in my lounge room ceiling. They were there when we purchased the apartment back in 2011. Too complicated I thought :smirk:

Re: What is new in your little world?
My Christmas shopping is almost done. I just need to find/buy a flip phone for the Mrs. Wish me luck.
Why a flip phone you ask. The one she has currently tends to (self) dial when in her handbag, and no it doesn't have a 'lock screen' function.....

B&W = Bowers & Wilkins and these speakers but mounted upside down on the ceiling

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-18-2017 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

T-shirt with a Quake logo, nub. Or “Captain Slow for Prime Minister”.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 09:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did a little riding yesterday. Across the state and back...

Yeehaw Junction

Tampa

St. Petersburg Bike Fest

Goofy looking bike with a turbo

Miles for the day

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i assume that's supposed to say 365.9 not 3,659

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 09:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, he really did ride at an average speed of 152mph (243kph) for 24 hours non-stop.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
i assume that's supposed to say 365.9 not 3,659

I think i can see the dot bottom right of the 5 :smirk:

Nice pictures YourGrandpa :up: as lots of bikes on a highway is always a grand sight. How many on this ride?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.