Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Match-making to boost micro-transactions

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Match-making to boost micro-transactions

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 04:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the games media is overegging this one a bit, frankly. The 60k credit unlock for Luke and Vader was a steep, yes, but at least there's no fucking season pass. EA's quarterly DLC releases have totally fucked the Battlefield and Battlefront communities these past years and they've FINALLY removed the paid DLC aspect of their release schedule. This is big, and good news :!:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 07:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
I think the games media is overegging this one a bit, frankly. The 60k credit unlock for Luke and Vader was a steep, yes, but at least there's no fucking season pass. EA's quarterly DLC releases have totally fucked the Battlefield and Battlefront communities these past years and they've FINALLY removed the paid DLC aspect of their release schedule. This is big, and good news :!:

:arrow:

Mat Linnett wrote:
It's a cynical bait-and-switch, and the MMO industry have perfected this over years.

Release something that really shouldn't have a price associated with it at all, at a massively inflated price.
Wait for the public outcry, then lower the price to make it look like you're doing the userbase a favour.

Works every time.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 07:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I feel kind of bad for the actual developers though. You know, the coders, artists, voice actors and everyone who actually built the game. They poured their hearts and souls into this, only to have it slammed by everyone because of its "micro"-transactions. From what I've seen, the game itself looks absolutely superb.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 07:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I feel for the devs in these situations. I mean, the level of expertise required just for the modelling and animation these days is phenomenal. I can only hope they end up in better companies.

But even so, I'm not stupid enough to throw money at these games to "support the devs", which is often the other argument those in denial throw out to justify their purchase.
You're not supporting the devs. You're supporting the shareholders.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 08:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This micro transaction stuff isn't going away. People want it and they voted for it with their money and 99% of the people buying it don't give a shit what reddit is crying about. Look at the bright side, micro transactions will probably go away when the majority of games become subscription based in a few years. *play the first level free!*

I bought the game and logged in last night just to check out the heroes and I already had 17k credits and could unlock Skywalker just from letting my kids play the 10hr trail over the weekend...ezpz.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 01:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This made the national news in the UK.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

beats talking about Brexit

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-15-2017 12:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-15-2017 04:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's cooldowns in Battlefront II as well. This is ridiculous.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-15-2017 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-15-2017 05:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not just the UK. :smirk:
https://kotaku.com/battlefront-overwatc ... 1820486239

Quote:
Belgian website VTM is reporting that the country’s Gaming Commission is currently taking a look at loot boxes in video games, with particular focus on EA’s inclusion of them in Star Wars: Battlefront II and Blizzard’s use in Overwatch.

Peter Naessens, General Director of the commission, says that the practice of buying the add-on boxes—where you don’t know what you’re paying for until you open it—may constitute gambling.

It’s a particular concern for the Commission when the game is available for and marketed towards children, like Overwatch and Battlefront II are (in Europe both titles have a PEGI rating of 12).

Naessens says loot box systems can be a particular danger to minors because of the societal pressure to spend more money to (in Battlefront’s case, at least) boost their strength. VTM reports that if loot boxes were indeed found to be a form of gambling then the Gaming Commission would need to provide a permit (it’s illegal to operate a gambling business in Belgium without one).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 02:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jim Sterling asking the right questions. Deafening silence on DICE's part though (in their own AmA):

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattle ... attlefront

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 02:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I thought of getting that but passed when I found out you basically have to buy crates to advance in the game or replay the same levels over and over.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 06:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess they shut off real money purchases in Battlefront.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 06:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Having multiple governments looking into your business model will do that. :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 02:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
NFS Payback rewards, practically a slot machine :olo:

edit: words

Holy shit, they're not even trying to hide it now

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 02:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Having multiple governments looking into your business model will do that. :olo:

Not to mention Disney. I can't imagine they've stayed quiet over this either. They've perfected the art of separating gullible consumers from as much money as possible and the last thing they're going to want is EA coming along and fucking it up for them.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 05:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The sad thing here is that in an attempt to save face, EA and DICE are playing dumb. They know full well they are testing the limits of what people see as acceptable in terms of revenue generation so what would set them in the most positive light is to just admit to it and say "okay, we pushed too far! We were cunts and we promise it won't happen again".

Admit to your own faults, it's step one towards earning forgiveness.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 12:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is how the financial world reports about it:
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/11/17/wal ... -game.html

It feels kind of dirty

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 05:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As it turns out the public will only put up with so much dick in their arse

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 11-17-2017 08:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The important part to take out of this is.. for now.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-18-2017 03:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm wondering, with the apparent ease micro-transactions were turned off, has EA prepared for this scenario?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-18-2017 05:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I'm wondering, with the apparent ease micro-transactions were turned off, has EA prepared for this scenario?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-18-2017 05:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol yeah... I still wouldn't buy the game. They just want to sucker as many people into paying full price for it before turning microtransactions back on.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-18-2017 06:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haha...good point

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-20-2017 01:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Back in 2012 EA allegedly fired the creator of Plants vs Zombies for refusing to implement pay2win mechanics in PvZ2

http://mp1st.com/news/plants-vs-zombies ... win-system

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-20-2017 01:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More assholes in suits not understanding what this is about: https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/11/20/gam ... rices.html

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-20-2017 02:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's seriously fucked up. And a chilling reminder that cunts in suits earn so much more than the average human being, they don't understand the value of money.
I wonder if any of them know the price of a loaf of bread? I wouldn't be surprised if they thought it was $10.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-21-2017 09:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EA was probably testing the waters with their microtransaction shenanigans, seeing how far they could push it. But they might have gone too far, because now they're on the radar of several US State governments. :smirk:
https://kotaku.com/hawaii-wants-to-figh ... 1820664617

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-21-2017 09:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Back in 2012 EA allegedly fired the creator of Plants vs Zombies for refusing to implement pay2win mechanics in PvZ2

http://mp1st.com/news/plants-vs-zombies ... win-system

It looks like that story is a little more nuanced than first reported.
Quote:
In short, those sources said, Fan’s ethos as an indie game developer conflicted with the new corporate structure of EA, which had purchased Popcap in the summer of 2011. He didn’t mesh well with the massive corporation. It was true that Fan didn’t want to make “freemium” games, the sources said, but he wasn’t working on Plants vs. Zombies 2—he was working on other projects. Fan lost interest in Plants vs. Zombies when EA began envisioning it as a massive franchise, the sources said, and he spent time on new ideas, like a game with the brilliant title Full Contact Bingo. When it became clear that Popcap’s future would revolve around making free-to-play games with microtransactions, Fan no longer fit in.

https://kotaku.com/widespread-rumor-abo ... 1820649466

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-22-2017 01:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And yet, in the midst of all this, some genius at Activision decides that now would be an appropriate time to turn on microtransactions in COD WW2.

A last, desperate grab at sweet MTX cash before states start legislating against them?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-22-2017 02:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It irks me that as obvious as it is, the website doesn't even draw parallels with Battlefront 2.

It's like we burn EA to the ground for this, but with COD it's the most normal thing in the world.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-22-2017 03:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the gaming press as a whole are too neutral when it comes to announcements from publishers; it's like they're afraid their source of info will be cut off if they say anything that annoys the big ones.

I think it pisses me off the most when sites simply regurgitate press releases without offering any criticism. That's just free advertising.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-22-2017 03:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
We learned last week that Belgium's gambling authority was investigating loot crates in Star Wars Battlefront II over concerns that they constitute gambling. Now, the decision is in, and the answer is a resounding yes, according to Dutch-language publication VTM Nieuws. The commission claims that purchasable add-on boxes, the contents of which are randomized, mix "money and addiction" and thus are a form of gambling.

Belgian Minister of Justice Koen Geens added: "Mixing gambling and gaming, especially at a young age, is dangerous for the mental health of the child." The commission will now reportedly work through the European Union's process to execute a total ban.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/22/bel ... oot-boxes/
Maybe it's not too late to cut out this cancer.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.