Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Is anyone else buying 4k discs?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Is anyone else buying 4k discs?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-18-2017 11:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just wondered what people are thinking when it comes to media in this day and age. I was talking to a mate in the pub the other day and he literally laughed at me telling me that physical media is dead and I am wasting my time with 4k discs. We went for after pub drinks at his and he boots up Netflix and chucks on The Crown which is fantastic and looks beautiful in 4k on his 150mbit connection. I currently don't have a good internet connection where I live, but it will be sorted in the next 4 weeks, but even then I am only going to be on 70mbit at best, though far better than the 12mbit I am on now.

Since I bought a good TV, a good set of speakers and an amp worth powering them, I have invested some of my hard earned money in several "Ultra hi-def" mediums; be it 4k blu-ray discs or SACD/Blu-ray audio, and I swear that these are head and shoulders above any online streaming I have encountered. Netflix have some stuff like Luke Cage which uses Dolby Vision (which is better than HDR in my opinion) but it still doesn't compare from what I can see to physical disc. Does anyone else own anything like this and do you have any experiences with physical 4k media? It wold be good to know if its just me and my mindset trying to justify my purchases to myself or if I am correct (which I think I am ) and that you can't substitute streaming from the interweb with what you can get on a disc if you have high quality audio/visual components.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-18-2017 12:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still buy DVDs & Blu-rays. If I had a 4K device I guess I'd be buying the 4K discs. Mind you, the movie has to be up there for me to get the hard copy.

My internet connection at best is 10Mb/s and I don't have cable TV (Netflix) by the way.

So in answer to the question, "Is anyone else buying 4k discs?", I would be :D

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-18-2017 01:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You will never achieve the bitrate and quality of a physical disc from streaming. I always buy a disc for my favorites.

Even if you had the connection to stream 100GB of data (size of 4k blu-ray) in 2hrs I don’t think streaming services with their compression algorithms will do it.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 03:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
You will never achieve the bitrate and quality of a physical disc from streaming. I always buy a disc for my favorites.

Even if you had the connection to stream 100GB of data (size of 4k blu-ray) in 2hrs I don’t think streaming services with their compression algorithms will do it.

I think I disagree with that (kinda). Netflix streams "at 4K". Now. Ridiculous 6 or whatever was one of the first ones. And having internet to do it isnt crazy anymore. We have 400 megs here with gig coming soon. And its not like I live in some high tech place.

Now I cannot prove this, But they do claim its 4k and they do have other content.

Buuuuuuuut I do kinda agree though with the you cant really REALLY ever be 100% on par with physical media, only if because it takes a single frame to go pixel and lose that quality. I mean, I guess you could download it, then you could technically get that quality "digitally" but then you're kinda cheating with a sorta physical copy.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Netflix is good but doesnt compare, bitrates and compression means theres at least some loss in pic quality and when you consider sound it doesnt come close. With your home cinema set up youre gonna wanna stick to discs if only for the uncompressed audio with truehd n stuff.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 10:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Soapboy you’re confusing resolution vs quality.
Streaming is subject to lower bitrate and higher compression regardless of resolution.

It’s all subjective to the person though. If you don’t have the equipment or the eyesight to notice the difference it definitely doesn’t matter.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 11:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Streaming clips white and black ends of the pixel range, you might see it in dark films where it can sometimes look blocky. Disk is still the best way, but it's got to be said NF is very good.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 05:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4K Blu-ray is definitely worth it, especially for HDR :up:

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Streaming is subject to lower bitrate and higher compression regardless of resolution.

It’s all subjective to the person though. If you don’t have the equipment or the eyesight to notice the difference it definitely doesn’t matter.

Right, The whole exp with audio and everthing. Fair enough. Hell Days of Thunder in 1080 with uncompressed audio is 33 gigs. So you're right there.

Guess thats me being a consumer these days and not caring about the audio side so long as it looks good :olo:

redline
redline
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 07:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
shaft wrote:

Guess thats me being a consumer these days and not caring about the audio side so long as it looks good :olo:

Thing is good speakers in your home theater will make it a lot more impressive than the screen. It gets expensive though.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 07:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
..........Days of Thunder in 1080 with uncompressed audio is 33 gigs............

Where did you get that number? Wait, a simple google result here, so the question should be why did you pick Days of Thunder?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 09:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:
..........Days of Thunder in 1080 with uncompressed audio is 33 gigs............

Where did you get that number? Wait, a simple google result here, so the question should be why did you pick Days of Thunder?

I happened to have a copy of it. haha

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-20-2017 05:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I guess there's probably a difference but I switched to 4K recently and there's definitely a noticeable difference. I also switched my netflix subscription to include 4k streaming, cause you know... it doesn't if you don't pay for it. I watched a series called Moving Art and I gotta say the quality was pretty nice but video games is where 4k really shines imho.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 11-20-2017 06:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only physical media I get is nature documentaries, even though our projector's only 1080p I still get 4k when available for forward compatibility. For all other content streaming is fine imo.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-21-2017 09:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Total homo thread... Grow up weirdos...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 12:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I have a good test; I have The Martian on my Sky Q box in UHD. It is on Netflix in UHD and I have the UHD disc. Should be interesting to see the difference between all 3 mediums with the same material.

I will let you know my thoughts :)

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-24-2017 09:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just skip to the action shots, you'll see the compression then.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-24-2017 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Make sure you got TrueHD or DTS MA enabled when you stream :P

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-25-2017 02:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also Netflix is wholly dependent on the platform running it. for instance the webplayer doesn't even run in 1080p unless you're on Edge or Safari.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-25-2017 04:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll be using the app on my TV, so it should be fine :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.