Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        OnePlus 5T blows away iPhone X...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: OnePlus 5T blows away iPhone X...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-21-2017 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol Apple... Also... That fucking notch...rip new Microsoft...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-21-2017 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gr8 m8

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-21-2017 12:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

K...

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 11-21-2017 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

loser

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-21-2017 01:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But it's Android and Android is scary because it has so many little buttons that do things.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-21-2017 02:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
But it's Android and Android still suffers from wakelocks and battery murder even in 2017

Fixed that for you. 100% why im a sheep with apple these days.

On the flip side, Love the X. :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-21-2017 10:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I'm sure 1.5 billion Android users all suffer from battery problems. Your anecdotal evidence is the undeniable proof of this

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-21-2017 10:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It is actually a common issue, I think some handsets are hit harder than others but can vary from update to update and app to app, it can be a right bitch to track down and if it's the result of an update almost impossible.

I've had 2 Samsung devices hit with it and have seen the issue arise across all manufacturers, which is why I'm going back to Apple too.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-21-2017 11:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More anecdotal evidence.

Look, I'm not arguing Android is better or worse than iOS, but the endless stream of bullshit (anecdotal) arguments from either side of the discussion are just really tiring and dumb.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-22-2017 12:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If samsung/android pay was any good I'd be over the moon with my S8+ but it's just not as good as Apple pay.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-22-2017 05:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
More anecdotal evidence.

Look, I'm not arguing Android is better or worse than iOS, but the endless stream of bullshit (anecdotal) arguments from either side of the discussion are just really tiring and dumb.

https://developer.android.com/topic/per ... elock.html

https://www.xda-developers.com/stop-wak ... hout-root/

I have no brand loyalty which is why I'll be going back to Apple after a good few years and I'm not here to argue what's better or not but I'm just talking about known issues and my experiences.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-22-2017 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol that notch destroys any chance of the iphone being a serious contender with any phone on the market...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-22-2017 07:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol What a pathetic thread

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-22-2017 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol I fucked ur dad...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-22-2017 04:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
More anecdotal evidence.

:olo:

Look man, I'm not gonna argue either way, a quick google can prove im right. This isnt some anti android thing, its purely facts. Look it up.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 05:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
lol What a pathetic thread

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 06:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Eraser wrote:
More anecdotal evidence.

:olo:

Look man, I'm not gonna argue either way, a quick google can prove im right. This isnt some anti android thing, its purely facts. Look it up.

Ummm no. My work has me directly supporting these devices and battery issues are no more a problem with samsung than they are with iphones or blackberry's. All of which I support from a technical point of view. Funnily enough, we actually try to dissuade people from using apple devices as much as possible due to their technical limitations which cause us problems and the only reason we allow them at all is because people in charge who don't know anything about technology refuse to not use them because of marketing. The only benefit I can see to owning an apple device is the apps that are only available for apple devices and I personally do not see them as being that important. I work with these devices daily so I see them a lot. I have two samsung devices and to give you an idea of how good the battery is on them, my Samsug S3 is still used daily and the battery will last a full 24 hours with heavy use. My A5 which is newer will last 48 hours with heavy use. This is consistent with apple devices too. If anything, blackberry's put both to shame in terms of battery life as I've seen the older devices last up to 6 days on a charge with normal use and I've had blackberry's sitting on my shelf for months before they finally beep to let me know it's low on battery.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

whoa ey apple and samsung are only 2-3 years behind sony now!

good job kutgw!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 06:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Eraser wrote:
More anecdotal evidence.

https://developer.android.com/topic/per ... elock.html

https://www.xda-developers.com/stop-wak ... hout-root/

I have no brand loyalty which is why I'll be going back to Apple after a good few years and I'm not here to argue what's better or not but I'm just talking about known issues and my experiences.

Sounds like implementation errors in individual apps, not something that's wrong with the OS.
If I write a Windows application that peaks your CPU to 100% by simply entering an infinite while loop, look at what that'll be doing on your laptop's power consumption. You can hardly blame Windows for this.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 07:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's pretty typical of most users honestly...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's why said it varies from app to app but it can also be an Android update too which is what hit one of my phones, where Android itself would hoard resources in the background. The main problem is trying to track the problem down cos of Android kernel, the problem app won't show itself because it's hidden somewhere in the memory. Android been trying to fix it for years, the problem is allowing bad practice in the 1st place, it's more like getting a nasty virus rather than a bad program.

So when your phone updates and you got a wakelock problem, wtf do you do ?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 11:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've never run into that problem... The only issue I've ran into is one where the keyboard won't show up to let you type in a password to unlock the phone. Definitely a bug in the samsung OS. Recently though I obtained an adaptor that allows me to plug a USB cable into the charge port of the phone and by plugging in a keyboard I was able to bypass the bug and send the user on his merry way. I'm assuming it'll be patched.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
That's why said it varies from app to app but it can also be an Android update too which is what hit one of my phones, where Android itself would hoard resources in the background. The main problem is trying to track the problem down cos of Android kernel, the problem app won't show itself because it's hidden somewhere in the memory. Android been trying to fix it for years, the problem is allowing bad practice in the 1st place, it's more like getting a nasty virus rather than a bad program.

So when your phone updates and you got a wakelock problem, wtf do you do ?

They don't get it. "Typical" fanboy users :olo:

Eraser wrote:
Sounds like implementation errors in individual apps, not something that's wrong with the OS.
If I write a Windows application that peaks your CPU to 100% by simply entering an infinite while loop, look at what that'll be doing on your laptop's power consumption. You can hardly blame Windows for this.

No its a problem with the entire fucking eco system. Until google gets a bit more strict on apps, then you have these dumbass issues. Even "good" developers will throw out a shitty update that kills phones for a while. Android side = Lazy side. Also considering that even made by google apps cause some shit sometimes, its clearly not JUST the eco system either. Yes its better than it was say, in the S1 days. But its still a major problem.

Κracus wrote:
Ummm no. My work has me directly supporting these devices and battery issues are no more a problem with samsung than they are with iphones or blackberry's. All of which I support from a technical point of view. Funnily enough, we actually try to dissuade people from using apple devices as much as possible due to their technical limitations which cause us problems and the only reason we allow them at all is because people in charge who don't know anything about technology refuse to not use them because of marketing. The only benefit I can see to owning an apple device is the apps that are only available for apple devices and I personally do not see them as being that important. I work with these devices daily so I see them a lot. I have two samsung devices and to give you an idea of how good the battery is on them, my Samsug S3 is still used daily and the battery will last a full 24 hours with heavy use. My A5 which is newer will last 48 hours with heavy use. This is consistent with apple devices too. If anything, blackberry's put both to shame in terms of battery life as I've seen the older devices last up to 6 days on a charge with normal use and I've had blackberry's sitting on my shelf for months before they finally beep to let me know it's low on battery.

Ive been in telecom (Wireless) For 10+ years at this point (see everyone can have phones as a job!). Its entirely common for wake locks on android to murder batteries. This is from supporting CUSTOMER AND CONSUMER devices. Hate to break it to you but android isnt smooth butter shit like you're trying tt make it out to be. Wake locks are a thing and the reason they happen is any moron can code some bullshit for the market.

You support 10 devices? 100? 400? You've had to handle each of those devices manually? And you check in on every user daily to find out if wake locks are a thing? Really, are you in actual wireless? Or are you just some "Guy" who works on shit at some business? I really hope its more the first, because being an "IT GUY" don't count when you only support a handful of people on specific hardware. :olo:

Ohhh wait, you janitor your shit regularly? Please let that be the next thing we go on about. Derp derp if you just keep an eye on things derp derp. Should not have to.

Janitoring my phone to get better battery is for the fucking birds. My iPhone I can leave every single service on, and get 48 hours easily. Why? Apps dont get stuck and kill my phone.

:olo: It not being a general android thing though.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 01:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You ok, soapboy?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 01:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
You ok, soapboy?

Yeah, Just baked af. Got into a ramble there.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I've never run into that problem... The only issue I've ran into is one where the keyboard won't show up to let you type in a password to unlock the phone. Definitely a bug in the samsung OS. Recently though I obtained an adaptor that allows me to plug a USB cable into the charge port of the phone and by plugging in a keyboard I was able to bypass the bug and send the user on his merry way. I'm assuming it'll be patched.

Then you've either been lucky, don't use many apps or are blind, considering you stated that you support Android devices from a technical standpoint I'm guessing you're blind because there is no way you did not come across this issue.

As an example, my s5 was absolutely brutalised by it, the poor thing could barely unlock itself thanks to an update in Android 5.0. I swapped this phone for another (octacore) s5 hoping I could power out the issue with sheer CPU power and that was on top of the wakelocks from apps that I was experiencing. My next phone (and current) is an s7 and although this handles better thanks to being more powerful I still get [LOL RACISM] issues with it where it will throw resources away so I have to perform some maintenance in tracking down problem apps to try and get it corrected from time to time. This can be caused my anything n all, including an update by FB, Snapchat or something just as popular. Then there's issues with mounting, apps disappearing along with your keyboard and such, these being the minor problems. Android when looked after can perform well, but like gardening I really can't be fucked with that shit.

If you want access to the backend and like fiddling with your phone, customisation, installing ROMs or whatnot then Android is by far the choice for you, it's what I thought I wanted, but if you just want a phone with similiar functionality out the box that you can leave without it fucking itself then it has to be Apple. I don't use a lot of apps either, it's not like my phone is littered with them and I know others with varying devices (notes / moto's etc) who have had it. That keyboard issue has plagued all Android devices for a good few years n all, it's not Samsung specific, a few restarts and clearing cache usually fixes it, that can also be an issue associated with allocated resources and the KB not having enough.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 09:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Eraser wrote:
You ok, soapboy?

Yeah, Just baked af. Got into a ramble there.

Don't worry. Red font guy has the rambling part covered for ya

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 11:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

soapboy returns and we're back to arguing phones.
all we need now is GKY getting mad at everyone and we can party like it's 2009.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-24-2017 01:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, we'd need to have LawL claiming to have had sex with your father for that.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-24-2017 05:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
If samsung/android pay was any good I'd be over the moon with my S8+ but it's just not as good as Apple pay.

I mean, I can't say I've ever used Apple Pay, as it wasn't around last time I had an iPhone, but it works fine on my Sony Z5 Compact, and I use that to tap in and out on London transport multiple times a day.

Then again, I haven't had a personal phone for years now. I just let work take care of that for me. I don't really get a choice of handset (Android or iPhone is about as much of a choice as I get), but I get a free phone and the bill's paid by the company.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-24-2017 06:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Ive been in telecom (Wireless) For 10+ years at this point (see everyone can have phones as a job!). Its entirely common for wake locks on android to murder batteries. This is from supporting CUSTOMER AND CONSUMER devices. Hate to break it to you but android isnt smooth butter shit like you're trying tt make it out to be. Wake locks are a thing and the reason they happen is any moron can code some bullshit for the market.

You support 10 devices? 100? 400? You've had to handle each of those devices manually? And you check in on every user daily to find out if wake locks are a thing? Really, are you in actual wireless? Or are you just some "Guy" who works on shit at some business? I really hope its more the first, because being an "IT GUY" don't count when you only support a handful of people on specific hardware. :olo:

Ohhh wait, you janitor your shit regularly? Please let that be the next thing we go on about. Derp derp if you just keep an eye on things derp derp. Should not have to.

Janitoring my phone to get better battery is for the fucking birds. My iPhone I can leave every single service on, and get 48 hours easily. Why? Apps dont get stuck and kill my phone.

That's nice, I work for a provincial government supporting roughly 10,000 users. I'm not saying Android is without faults, it has faults the same as apple and blackberry does. Unlike your clients though we lock that shit down so users can't get into the type of crap that causes those types of problems and that's probably the main reason I don't see the issues you see. Most of my problems revolve around encryption and email. Less so with blackberry, more so with Apple and Android is just in the middle of the two but we're phasing out blackberry's as the hardware isn't what it used to be. By the way, nice little condescending tone you've got going on, I'm sure working for a telecom company must be wonderful...

Edit: I should add that the problem you're mentioning isn't with the battery. It's the software causing the battery to drain. Software can be a problem on any platform if it's not well implemented. The batteries themselves are fine.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-24-2017 06:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I should add that the problem you're mentioning isn't with the battery. It's the software causing the battery to drain. Software can be a problem on any platform if it's not well implemented. The batteries themselves are fine.

I think his point is that Apple's walled garden approach to software prevents apps with implementation problems like this from entering their appstore.

So in the end it all boils down to the open platform/walled garden discussion which has absolutely nothing to do with the OS itself.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-24-2017 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not really, it's about the implementation and limitations of the OS, Google know this which is why they are trying to track apps resource usage better. Allowing shoddy code onto your platform that can hide in memory is not a walled garden problem and I hate Apple for taking that approach, it's why I moved away from them in the 1st place. If it was a case of opening task manager and shutting down greedy programs it wouldn't be an issue.

Kracus raised the arguement of supporting 1000s of users only to find out his userbase is a walled garden.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-24-2017 10:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was speaking strictly from a hardware standpoint. Samsung vs Apple hardware mostly. I'm not a fan of walled gardens either.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-24-2017 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Not really, it's about the implementation and limitations of the OS, Google know this which is why they are trying to track apps resource usage better. Allowing shoddy code onto your platform that can hide in memory is not a walled garden problem and I hate Apple for taking that approach, it's why I moved away from them in the 1st place. If it was a case of opening task manager and shutting down greedy programs it wouldn't be an issue.

Kracus raised the arguement of supporting 1000s of users only to find out his userbase is a walled garden.

Right? If I supported users in a sterile env I wouldnt have issues either!

Κracus wrote:
I was speaking strictly from a hardware standpoint. Samsung vs Apple hardware mostly. I'm not a fan of walled gardens either.

And we wernt if you paid attention.

Κracus wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:

That's nice, I work for a provincial government supporting roughly 10,000 users. I'm not saying Android is without faults, it has faults the same as apple and blackberry does. Unlike your clients though we lock that shit down so users can't get into the type of crap that causes those types of problems and that's probably the main reason I don't see the issues you see. Most of my problems revolve around encryption and email. Less so with blackberry, more so with Apple and Android is just in the middle of the two but we're phasing out blackberry's as the hardware isn't what it used to be. By the way, nice little condescending tone you've got going on, I'm sure working for a telecom company must be wonderful...

Edit: I should add that the problem you're mentioning isn't with the battery. It's the software causing the battery to drain. Software can be a problem on any platform if it's not well implemented. The batteries themselves are fine.

Which when you get down to it is an OS level problem. Nobody said the literal physical batteries are trash. We're saying the OS (which really, is more an app issue CAUSING the OS to wake lock) is causing the problem.

Supporting 10k users on a domain. So basically you'll never have issues with any user thanks to locked down IT policy, Cool, So you dont support users on android, you support users in a closed sealed env. Big dif. :olo:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.