Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        FCC planning to repeal net neutrality

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: FCC planning to repeal net neutrality

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 01:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It will be a big, beautiful wall with lots of Windows.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 02:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a great firewall of western world is already developing. Facebook, Google, Twitter.. they all admitted before congress just recently to secretly censoring content. now to legitimize these actions they have put in place an ad hoc fact checker who is incidentally again a soros group.. they call this neutrality and they want it to stay this way.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-23-2017 09:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Man!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 02:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Comcast (one of the largest internet service providers) says they will not throttle legal content.

Surprise surprise! Comcast is already backpedaling on those promises:

Quote:
But with Republican Ajit Pai now in charge at the Federal Communications Commission, Comcast's stance has changed. While the company still says it won't block or throttle Internet content, it has dropped its promise about not instituting paid prioritization.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... nes/?amp=1

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 02:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But they promised...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 04:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
But they promised...

:olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 05:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Cherry picking?

Yes, cherry picking..

You focus on.
"Comcast (one of the largest internet service providers) says they will not throttle legal content."

Ignore.
"Repealing net neutrality sounds like a bad deal all around."

Then pretend my comment somehow insinuates I believe Comcast's claim.

When in fact I actually said.
"But all you need is one detractor like Comcast"

Fuck you. :tard:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 06:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
YourGrandpa wrote:
Comcast (one of the largest internet service providers) says they will not throttle legal content.

Even though they've already done it secretly, they promise not to do it again! (the uptick at the end is when Netflix paid Comcast off)
https://technical.ly/philly/2014/05/09/ ... t-roundup/
YourGrandpa wrote:
So if AT&T decides they are going to throttle specific content, everyone moves to Comcast.

Assuming they have that option. If you have 3+ choices offering broadband internet, you are the lucky exception that proves the rule.
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... er-speeds/
YourGrandpa wrote:
Repealing net neutrality sounds like a bad deal all around. But all you need is on detractor like Comcast and suddenly repealing net neutrality doesn't mean a thing.

Let's assume Comcast isn't blowing smoke up your ass and actually follows net neutrality practices in their business model. Do you think people are going to jump ship en masse and switch providers to Comcast because they're "doing the right thing" by not being total sleazebags? The bar has been lowered so fucking much... Like I've already said, they may not have Comcast service where they live. Let's not forget that investors will flip their shit when they learn that Comcast left money on the table.

I do believe I just cherry picked your entire post.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 06:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I believe the market will find a balance. People will obviously make choices based on availability and they will ALWAYS choose the provider with the least net restrictions. Repealing net neutrality might also spawn upstarts who's sole purpose is to undercut the big guys with their hands in your pockets. I never said I believed Comcast. I also said repealing net neutrality is not something I agree with. But you fuck sticks have to be upset about something, so you cherry/nit pick my comments and make asinine assumptions to argue a like opinion.

Grow up.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 06:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I addressed every part of your post, I didn't cherry pick shit. But like usual, you get this super-defensive tunnel vision and latch onto a notion that everyone's out to get you, instead of realizing you just keep spouting the most ignorant, half-baked ideas that beg to be picked apart.

How can the market find a balance if Comcast has their thumb on the scale? You might not have implicitly said you believe Comcast, but you were happy to imply it to support your argument.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 07:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When you pull a post apart and address it in pieces, you are cherry picking the discussion. My original comment as a whole didn't support net neutrality and suggested competition might battle it out by offering less net restrictions. Nothing really polarizing there...

Comcast doesn't own the internet. Comcast has competition in every market. Most people have more than one option for internet service and will always make choices based on what's best for them. Balance will be found in the customer's search/desire for more suitable services and the market's desire to retain/attain those customers. Simple law of supply and demand...

I'm not defensive at all. The reality is some people here are looking to argue anything I say. Even if they agree. I've obviously truly upset those people. They are so upset that they take my quotes and put them in their footers for years... Like that somehow doesn't shine a light on how upset they are.

You going to be okay?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 07:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's not cherry picking, cherry picking is when you take part of a quote to remove it from context, without including anything else.

Trans disassembled the quote in its entirety.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 07:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like you don't know what cherry picking is, Gwamps.

It took all of 1 minute to make that quote my sig, then I promptly forgot about it. The only time I remember is when you bring it up, which happens every month or so. No, it certainly hasn't gotten to you. :rolleyes:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 07:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
That's not cherry picking, cherry picking is when you take part of a quote to remove it from context, without including anything else.

A comment's true meaning is in it's entirety. If you argue pieces of a comment without considering the other content, you are cherry picking.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 07:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Looks like you don't know what cherry picking is, Gwamps.

It took all of 1 minute to make that quote my sig, then I promptly forgot about it. The only time I remember is when you bring it up, which happens every month or so. No, it certainly hasn't gotten to you. :rolleyes:

I upset you enough to put it there and keep it there, doofus. Figure that out.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 08:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

A comment's true meaning is in it's entirety. If you argue pieces of a comment without considering the other content, you are cherry picking.

Nope. It's when you take the most useful piece of information from a sentence and use it, discarding everything else (like bad cherries). Trans discarded nothing, he addressed it all.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 08:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
I upset you enough to put it there and keep it there, doofus. Figure that out.

How do you figure I was upset? Could I not have been motivated by amusement? Hey, I figured it out!

LOL, "keep it there". Watch out, Q3W, one of these days I'm going to really unleash an epic sig on your unready eyes! But for now, it's more important that I remind Gwamps of how stupid he is. Sacrifices must be made.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 08:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Nope. It's when you take the most useful piece of information from a sentence and use it, discarding everything else (like bad cherries). Trans discarded nothing, he addressed it all.

He didn't address everything. He selectively addressed pieces of my comment without consideration for the content in it's entirety. It happens in almost every discussion anyone has here. Everyone wants to be right all the time. Just like you're doing now. You've determined we no longer disagree on the original topic. Now you must change the discussion to disagree about something else in hopes you can eventually be right.

Sad... :yawn:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 08:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
How do you figure I was upset? Could I not have been motivated by amusement? Hey, I figured it out!

LOL, "keep it there". Watch out, Q3W, one of these days I'm going to really unleash an epic sig on your unready eyes! But for now, it's more important that I remind Gwamps of how stupid he is. Sacrifices must be made.

LOL, what a goofy twat.

Maybe you can't be okay.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 08:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

He didn't address everything. He selectively addressed pieces of my comment without consideration for the content in it's entirety. It happens in almost every discussion anyone has here. Everyone wants to be right all the time. Just like you're doing now. You've determined we no longer disagree on the original topic. Now you must change the discussion to disagree about something else in hopes you can eventually be right.

Sad... :yawn:

Behave, if anything you cherry picked your own quote to dig yourself out the hole.

YourGrandpa wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Cherry picking? Don't flatter yourself. That post was shown to be bullshit in its entirety, not just parts of it

Yes, cherry picking..

You focus on.
"Comcast (one of the largest internet service providers) says they will not throttle legal content."

Ignore.
"Repealing net neutrality sounds like a bad deal all around."

Then pretend my comment somehow insinuates I believe Comcast's claim.

When in fact I actually said.
"But all you need is one detractor like Comcast"

Fuck you. :tard:

Now back to the unedited quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Comcast (one of the largest internet service providers) says they will not throttle legal content. So if AT&T decides they are going to throttle specific content, everyone moves to Comcast. Repealing net neutrality sounds like a bad deal all around. But all you need is on detractor like Comcast and suddenly repealing net neutrality doesn't mean a thing.

You used Comcasts claim for an arguement about a detractor that everyone will move to. You're saying Comcast is the detractor by giving them as the example. The bit about net neutrality is just a tag line.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 11-27-2017 08:58 PM, edited 3 times in total.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 08:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Everyone wants to be right all the time.

Bam.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 09:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
You used Comcasts claim for an arguement about a detractor that everyone will move to. You're saying Comcast is the detractor by giving them as the example. The bit about net neutrality is just a tag line.

I used Comcast's claim as an example of what any company "like Comcast" might do to take customers away from the competition. The urgency to disagree with me has turned my comment into something else. :rolleyes:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 09:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
YourGrandpa wrote:
Everyone wants to be right all the time.

Bam.

Just when you thought Trannypants couldn't get more upset. :olo:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dude you're fucking hilarious. :olo:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 09:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

I used Comcast's claim as an example of what any company "like Comcast" might do to take customers away from the competition. The urgency to disagree with me has turned my comment into something else. :rolleyes:

That's not what you said, you cherry picked again ;)

...one detractor like Comcast...

That's what you said.

Keep digging up boyo, it's so convincing.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 09:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Dude you're fucking hilarious. :olo:

I know. :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 09:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
That's not what you said, you cherry picked again ;)

...one detractor like Comcast...

That's what you said.

Keep digging up boyo, it's so convincing.

This is what I said...

"Comcast (one of the largest internet service providers) says they will not throttle legal content. So if AT&T decides they are going to throttle specific content, everyone moves to Comcast. Repealing net neutrality sounds like a bad deal all around. But all you need is one detractor like Comcast and suddenly repealing net neutrality doesn't mean a thing."

Meaning, if you have a company with the position Comcast claims to have and competition (AT&T) that disagrees, all you need is one detractor in the marketplace with Comcast's proclaimed business model to change the way the competition is doing business.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 09:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you have competition. If.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 10:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

It's just a very naive view. Comcast has been fighting title II and net neutrality all the way and now that it's about to repealed, they are already backpedaling on their promises. It's typical for the market. Comcast wont be the last to show their true face.
Also, for there to be fair competition, customers need to be well informed to make a good choice of provider. The telcos do everything to obscure their policies. Most people don't understand the implications of not having net neutrality laws.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How is me not believing Comcast naive?

Do you pay bills? You know the stipulation of your cell phone plan. You know what your health insurance covers. You know the interest rate on your credit cards. You know what your cable bill includes. You know your current internet plan. Why would you think people wouldn't understand and make conscious decisions about non net neutral internet plans?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 11:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dunno about you guys but the last 4 places I've lived there has always been two reasonably priced choices for internet. 50Mbit cable or 5Mbit DSL. Sure there is competition..but not really, right?

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
I dunno about you guys but the last 4 places I've lived there has always been two reasonably priced choices for internet. 50Mbit cable or 5Mbit DSL. Sure there is competition..but not really, right?

That's been the case at the last three places I've lived too. Cable or barely sufficient DSL. I'm stuck with Comcast at the moment, I wish I could switch over to RCN here in Chicago, but my building was wired by Comcast, so RCN isn't available.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

I live in a major city. Central. Where we should have "every" telecom available.

We have 2 options. (Not counting shit like hughesnet or other BS garbage internet options)
Cox
AT&T

Cox is moving gig fiber in with 500 megs in place now.
AT&T caps out at 48 megs, in 5% of the city. The rest is 24 or less.

Thankfully COX is mostly awesome. But thats how it is for most people. Even in "major cities". Telecoms have shit wrapped up in nice little bows where they can and cant lay lines. Theres all kinds of state legislation that keeps this shit happening.

Telecom is a joke. Even WITH net neutrality like, theres already tons of monopoly bullshit behind the scenes. Theres a reason you dont see ATT and VERIZON and other companys side by side in a lot of areas. Places where X company owns the copper, they've managed to not allow fiber and cable companys in the door. Its really a giant mess. Theres a few states that its not as bad, like California, but MOST states have some sort of bullshit agreement back from the bell telecom days when they did the splits dividing the countrys states up. Its a giant fucking mess. The things you learn working in corporate telecom. Jesus.

We're so fucked if they can do whatever they want. Soooo fucked.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-09-2017 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/09/fcc ... zon-shill/
Quote:
Gizmodo has obtained video of Pai trying to roast himself at the Federal Communications Bar Assocation's annual event, including a pre-recorded skit where an actual Verizon executive (senior VP Kathy Grillo) talks about wanting to "brainwash and groom a Verizon puppet" to become the FCC chairman, with Pai responding that it sounds like an "awesome" idea.

Seriously, fuck this guy and his giant coffee mug.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-14-2017 10:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

RIP

Anyone watch the hearing? what a joke.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.