Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-27-2017 04:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Rogue One - 5/10 - huge disappointment. story was ok, but the music was sub-standard and the main character actress was terrible, not a patch on Daisy Ridley

the CGI Tarkin and Leia made me LOL tho

I concur - the graphics looked half baked with those two, but the explosions were mega

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-27-2017 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

when i first saw Tarkin i thought "ok, good effort, but not quite". the voice likewise

and Leia was pretty cringe

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-27-2017 11:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought he was terrible

plained
plained
PostPosted: 04-27-2017 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i was recently on a charlie bronson run after i spec'ed poncho villa rides.

so are

the Mechanic
hard times
and i just did all the death wish movies , he was 72 in the last one!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-27-2017 11:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Children of Men

Good movie. Can recommend.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-29-2017 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ghost in the Shell - 7/10 if you haven't watched the original movies/series and just want a cool movie to watch, 5/10 if you've seen the the source anime stuff.

As someone in the latter category, this movie just felt weird. The plot is largely different than the source material (and as a stand-alone, it's okay), but then there's ample amounts of shot-for-shot recreations of the same scenes from the first two anime movies. It's like this movie couldn't quite decide whether it's a sequel or remake. It's like taking the footage from Alien and Aliens to the editing room and trying to cut it into a new movie with a different plot.

Also, Johansson in her robot nude bodysuit is surprisingly unsexy. She waddles around like she's in soiled diapers and it's a little distracting in the wrong way.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-30-2017 10:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Noticed Who Framed Roger Rabbit was new on Netflix. Put it up for childhood nostalgia. Still a great movie :up:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-30-2017 11:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

new for a few months now actually*

* old! but funny!

I decided to watch the Final Fantasy VII movie again. Been over 10 years I think since I last saw that. Obviously the entire movie is one big fanservice (as disclaimed at the start) so there's not much there plotwise.
It was not as good as I remember it - especially the CG is actually pretty low res, it was kind of distracting. The animations themselves are topnotch tho.. and that last shot with Aeris gets me everytime :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-01-2017 04:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

Oh, I didn't know. It was still listed under the newly added category.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-01-2017 04:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

* old! but funny!

I decided to watch the Final Fantasy VII movie again. Been over 10 years I think since I last saw that. Obviously the entire movie is one big fanservice (as disclaimed at the start) so there's not much there plotwise.
It was not as good as I remember it - especially the CG is actually pretty low res, it was kind of distracting. The animations themselves are topnotch tho.. and that last shot with Aeris gets me everytime :(

Advent Children?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-01-2017 04:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-03-2017 01:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Anyone seen Life yet... I haven't seen any reviews here and I (think) I'd like to see it :smirk:

I'd like to hear your review.

Well I went to see it today as it was the last screening in the area.
Short story is I enjoyed it end to end :up: so watch it if you get the chance.
7.5/10

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-04-2017 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Void

Said to be so cool Lovecraftian-Horror with outrageous practical effects and blah...
No. Not to me. I thought it was boring and I couldn't enjoy the effects. 5/10

I did enjoy "Last Shift", though. Way better on either terms, 7/10, imo.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-05-2017 02:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guardians of the Galaxy 2, how can I put this...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-05-2017 10:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just got back from Guardians 2 and I'm now convinced that Marvel's screenplays are written by autistic 10-yr olds.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-05-2017 11:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>Marvel
>autistic

say it ain't so

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-07-2017 08:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But it had wonderful character driven plot with yet another amazing soundtrack

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-13-2017 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

La La Land.

Like watching Hollywood jerk off into its own mouth.

Terrible film.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-13-2017 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched Prometheus again in readiness for Alien: Covenant later in the week.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-14-2017 12:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guardians 2

Much fun if a little too long in my opinions. Also some of the visuals were very Dr Strange, which is no bad thing really. Very colourful.
Some of the comedy seemed a little force, but still some quality in there.

Hoping this is the first marvel film to be released in 4k

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-15-2017 11:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Passengers. What the fuck is that ending?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-15-2017 11:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Just got back from Guardians 2 and I'm now convinced that Marvel's screenplays are written by autistic 10-yr olds.

If you go into a Marvel film expecting Shakespeare then are the dumb one, Sir. :dts:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-15-2017 12:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dare say not

plained
plained
PostPosted: 05-15-2017 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sugar colt

been specìn movies from 1966

ssoooo many good films

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-15-2017 03:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:

If you go into a Marvel film expecting Shakespeare then are the dumb one, Sir. :dts:

AAAHHH MY NIPPLES HAHAHA AAH I'M POINTING AT THE THING YOU SHOULD BE LAUGHING AT AS I AM ALSO LAUGHING AT IT AAAAAHAHAHAHA

I didn't realize movies only came in two flavours: Shakespeare and autistic screeching :dts:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-15-2017 07:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought he was holding his straps and twas funny :)

One of the minor gripes I had was what I think you were getting at, that almost every serious moment that got you thinking required a joke, but, I think the point being that this is supposed to be a fun film that's not to be taken too seriously and seems a bit of a cheap shot considering it was still done rather well, just in a different flavour of storytelling.

I was personally impressed by it a lot, especially the way they managed to pad the characters out, interconnect their stories and visually speaking I think this is one of the most impressive Marvel films. I liked the humour, I liked the story tone, I liked the way each character had enough dialogue and backstory put into them to make every decision they made believable. It's on par with the 1st easily imo and was a really fun watch.

Most impressive though I think is that it felt like the director gave a shit about the movie, the source material and every detail in it.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-15-2017 09:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't like it nearly as much as the first.

It was like an autistic kid after eating too many skittles, both visually and narratively.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-15-2017 09:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah its was a bit over the top. Definitely has some funny, but seemed like they were trying too hard with the funny in your fucking face every other second. Then it would get serious and the pacing felt weird.

Most of the Groot stuff was dumb, the intro, him trying to get Yando's fin, and the detonator button. Everything Nebula was dumb too.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-15-2017 10:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's fair enough, the the serious to joke to serious was something I noticed and figured it would grate on some but I could take it for what it was which was goofy. Groot was a gimmick simply put, but a good one, didnt really spoil it for me :).

Idk, to me it was one of those films that was just so good to sit down and enjoy but it was one of those films that I was eagerly awaiting having found the Marvel universe to be turning somewhat bland and finding Guardians to be quite refreshing. I really dont want it to crossover with Avengers.

That and Deadpool makes everything else look pretty shit in comparison.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-16-2017 03:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guardians of Galaxy 2 but i think i am done with these action hero movies.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-16-2017 07:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deadpool is possibly the only Marvel movie I've seen that was genuinely funny and it was only because of Reynolds' delivery.

I'm sure they'll ruin that too with the sequel.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-16-2017 08:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck you all - Guardians 2 was many of the funs

Not as good as the first, but so far that and The Avengers are by far the best Marvel films...with Iron Man rolling in close afterwards.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-16-2017 10:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Went to see Alien: Covenant (2017)

Top marks as I thoroughly enjoyed end to end. Michael Fassbender plays his parts so well but I offer no spoilers (?) so you have to go see it..

Really, I can't think why I'd give it less than a 10/10 :up:

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-20-2017 11:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My Fair Lady - 50th Year Anniversary Blu-ray edition, the remastered version.

Story is, my Wife and I recently saw the stage production in the 'big smoke'. Next morning, after the lovely 5 star breakfast, we walked the city mall and ventured to the shops. I was looking for a surprise gift for my other half. I ventured into the video retailer and bought the blu ray DVD of the show. Hey, it might be the new blu ray player I bought recently or some fine tuning I did in the setup of the player (BDwise) but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie I hadn't seen in 30 or 40 years, maybe more :eek:

Short answer is, I was impressed. The movie goes for near 3 hours but I was wrapped, start to end that came too quickly. You get a chance, and yes I know it's old but trust me, it is worth the watch :)

IMDB

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-21-2017 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sense8 - second season on Netflix.
OK, so this is a LGBT- fest. No rating given on that fact, alone. Personally, I don't care if someone's gay or bi or hetero or whatever. I like a person or I don't.
Same goes with Sense8. What startet out with a strong mysterie seems to succumb to a on your nose "we are all equal"-story.
Well, thanks, I got that and I don't like to be told multiple times in every episode.

5/10

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.