Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Alleged swatting hoax ends in the death of a father of two

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Alleged swatting hoax ends in the death of a father of two

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-29-2017 08:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/29/all ... er-of-two/

Quote:
...Two individuals were playing Call of Duty and got into an argument online over a game with a $1.50 wager. One of them, a person with the Twitter handle @SWauTistic, threatened to swat user @7aLeNT. The latter then provided an address that wasn't actually their own in response to the threat. Shortly thereafter, @SWauTistic allegedly called in the false report, which led to a police response at the provided address. Andrew Finch, who lived at the address, reportedly went to the front door in response to the commotion and was shot...

apparently this is the caller's twitter account
https://twitter.com/GoredTutor36

not sure what's more fucked...the shithead who made the call (and has made many others before it) or the trigger happy seven-year department veteran spaz who shot 'em.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-29-2017 10:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This was bound to happen. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened a few times by now. There are a lot of little shits playing multiplayer games who think it's funny to DOX or SWAT their opponents when they get butthurt. There needs to be an instruction manual to use the internet, or mandatory classes in school. Or something. It's fucking toxic.

And it's now confirmed to be a swatting.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/29/all ... er-of-two/
Quote:
Update: The Wichita Police department has confirmed this is an incident of SWATting, and released material including audio of the phone call that sent officers to Finch's door and video of what happened when officers arrived. According to the police, their investigation is ongoing, however they noted that the caller continued to contact 911 even after the police had arrived on the scene.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-29-2017 11:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All parties involved need to be punished to the full extent of the law, and for that punishment to be made public.
Not death penalty, but definitely all should be serving manslaughter terms.

People need to begin to realise that there can and will be real-world consequences to actions performed online.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-30-2017 01:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how is doxxing not a crime? pretty sure swatting is :|

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-30-2017 01:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats terrible :(

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-30-2017 04:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-30-2017 10:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That didn't take long.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/30/lap ... g-wichita/
Quote:
Now NBC News reports that police in Los Angeles have arrested 25-year-old Tyler Barriss, who is believed to have made the call inciting the incident.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-30-2017 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Depending on what was said in the messages between him and his attempted target, he could get charged with something like involuntary manslaughter.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-31-2017 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
good. what's the charge and penalty though?
technically, he didn't kill anyone. guess false reports to emergency services is it's own crime, but is there any further stipulation for any false report leading to the death of someone?

also, now arrest the twitchy chimpig with the snipper riffle.

The guy did a shitty thing no doubt, and he should get the highest legal conviction on the false call. But let's be clear about it... The shitty police actions are to blame for the actual death of an innocent civilian.

If all it takes to get someone killed is to call in with falsified information, there's clearly something fucked up in the system.

Especially since the rutine action will be to give that officer paid time off for it. :dork:

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-31-2017 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
Memphis wrote:
good. what's the charge and penalty though?
technically, he didn't kill anyone. guess false reports to emergency services is it's own crime, but is there any further stipulation for any false report leading to the death of someone?

also, now arrest the twitchy chimpig with the snipper riffle.

The guy did a shitty thing no doubt, and he should get the highest legal conviction on the false call. But let's be clear about it... The shitty police actions are to blame for the actual death of an innocent civilian.

If all it takes to get someone killed is to call in with falsified information, there's clearly something fucked up in the system.

Especially since the rutine action will be to give that officer paid time off for it. :dork:

Police in Kansas are poorly trained, and are trigger happy fucking psychos.

Not shocking at all.

Ask me about working corrections in KS. :olo:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-02-2018 07:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... s-angeles/

So they caught the guy who swatted Finch, hopefully they get the idiot who commissioned the swatting in the first place, too.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-02-2018 11:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unbelievable

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-02-2018 11:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:

OK, I'll bite. Corrections as in jail I suppose? So 'working corrections' implies you were on the right side of the bars :sly: Do tell a little :)

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 12:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

swatter should be charged with manslaughter and something needs to be done with under-trained trigger happy cops.
jfc how hard is it to hold people who have the power of life and death in their hands every day to a higher standard? Whoops his hand made some movements so you thought he should die, here is your paid vacation. Lets payoff this family with taxpayers money, how much was your son worth to you?

A simple phone call to the house would've cleared it all up.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 12:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
A simple phone call to the house would've cleared it all up.

How could this not have been the automatic initial response? :(

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 12:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't get my head around a father lost his life just for opening a door. Who are the people pulling the triggers, morons? I always wanted to visit the US but stories like this put it up there with Turkey.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Innit, swatter should suffer repercussions but you also need to consider how many other mistakes were made between a prank call and death. Someone other than the prankster fucked up in a much bigger way.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 08:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The swatting call set the police up for an intense situation. They were expecting someone who had killed, was willing to kill more people, and not in the right of mind. The swatter was setting the guy up for a worse case scenario.

Quote:
Wichita police on Friday released a recording of the 911 call in question. The voice of a man could be heard saying that his parents had been arguing. "I shot him in the head, and he's not breathing anymore," the voice said, referring to the father. The man then told the 911 operator that he was holding a handgun on his mother and little sister, had doused the house with gasoline and was thinking of torching it.

Riiiiiggggght... so the man raised his hands and pointed a weapon at the same time. It's one or the other, not both. Police were trigger happy and then lied about it.

Quote:
"A 28-year-old male opened the front screen door and stood in the doorway or just outside that doorway," he said. "Officers gave him several verbal commands to put his hands up and walk toward them."

A police officer shot once after the man quickly raised his hands and appeared to point a weapon at the officers, Livingston said. Police found no one dead, injured or taken hostage inside the house, he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/swatting-c ... -1.4468490

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's interesting to see all the arm chair officers with zero law enforcement training or experience pretend like they know what should/could have been done in situations they've never been in.

"A simple phone call to the house would've cleared it all up." And simply playing the winning lottery numbers will make you a millionaire. :disgust:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 09:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
It's interesting to see all the arm chair officers with zero law enforcement training or experience pretend like they know what should/could have been done in situations they've never been in.

"A simple phone call to the house would've cleared it all up." And simply playing the winning lottery numbers will make you a millionaire. :disgust:

Fucking LOL. There's so much wrong with your POV, but I shouldn't be shocked because you're an idiot.

A simple call to the house would have worked or even a loudhailer, but someone died for opening a door based on the call from someone with a form for bullshitting the services (where are the character checks?).
Soldiers in populated war zones aren't allowed to just fire at people without clear and present. Moving your hands up then down isn't, in any fucking first world, a sign of danger. They and get that through your thick fucking skull :olo:

U mad post coming in 3... 2... 1...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 10:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On Reddit I saw a bunch of (american) motorcyclists exchange tips on what to do and what not to do when pulled over by a cop when riding your bike.

It's like they were discussing being assaulted by a mentally unstable serial murderer and were totally serious about it. It's so unreal to read that people consider cops a potential danger to your own life in case of a minor traffic related offense.

Funniest thing was how they were contradicting each other as well. "You need to get off the bike otherwise the cop won't come out of the car to prevent run offs". " Oh now! Never get off your bike! You'll be instantly shot for sure!" They would even suggest carrying your license and papers on the bike itself because reaching into the pocket of your jacket to retrieve them was a sure way of getting shot.

At least there were some European bikers on theere who were just as weirded out by it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 10:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lies. There is no gun problem in the US.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 11:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seriously though, is it really that bad or is there a huge perception disjoint due to confirmation bias in what people consume on social media related to the subject. I mean, the only cop videos you see are cops being abusive or violent (the majority of the videos) or videos showing the opposite where the cop is usually heralded as "being different" and actually being a cool dude (implying that "good" cops are a rare thing)

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Funniest thing was how they were contradicting each other as well. "You need to get off the bike otherwise the cop won't come out of the car to prevent run offs". " Oh now! Never get off your bike! You'll be instantly shot for sure!" They would even suggest carrying your license and papers on the bike itself because reaching into the pocket of your jacket to retrieve them was a sure way of getting shot.

At least there were some European bikers on theere who were just as weirded out by it.

Reminded me of this vid, was this posted on here ?, I thought it was.

YourGrandpa wrote:

There should have been a number of safeguards in place to protect the public, phoning could've just been one of them. You don't need to be in that situation to understand that an innocent person died at the hands of law enforcement due to incorrect safeguards or complete fuck uppery. You can't give mistakes like this a 'free pass' just because the majority of us have never been in the situation.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 04:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Fucking LOL. There's so much wrong with your POV, but I shouldn't be shocked because you're an idiot.

A simple call to the house would have worked or even a loudhailer, but someone died for opening a door based on the call from someone with a form for bullshitting the services (where are the character checks?).
Soldiers in populated war zones aren't allowed to just fire at people without clear and present. Moving your hands up then down isn't, in any fucking first world, a sign of danger. They and get that through your thick fucking skull :olo:

U mad post coming in 3... 2... 1...

Spoken like a true know nothing. :tard:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 04:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
There should have been a number of safeguards in place to protect the public, phoning could've just been one of them. You don't need to be in that situation to understand that an innocent person died at the hands of law enforcement due to incorrect safeguards or complete fuck uppery. You can't give mistakes like this a 'free pass' just because the majority of us have never been in the situation.

Should of, would of, could of. You have all the answers now. Maybe you should be arrested for not preventing this in the first place.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 04:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Should, would and could means someone made a mistake when following procedure. If they had followed procedure you'd hope it wouldn't result in an innocent person dying. No should / would / could, if there was then procedure needs to be changed.

There was no clear danger or threat to the police, so the police fucked up. Pretty simple and we have the ability to scrutinise police actions, as even though we havn't been in their situation we could quite easily see ourselves in the victims. Which is actually what Erasure was alluding too, when some of you are too scared to get off your bike.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

It was a bad shooting. And when the camera footage comes out, itll show that. It dont mean he will get in trouble though. Look at the fuckin moron who literally murdered that drunk guy in the hotel. Let off. Why? Jury didnt get to see the video for "Reasons". And if you dunno what im talking about.
https://thinkprogress.org/arizona-cop-w ... bceda925c/

Dude LITERALLY was begging for his life. The guy who shot him? Itching to fuckin murder people. Dust cover on his rifle? Etched "YOURE FUCKED". He was using his PERSONAL RIFLE on duty. Yeah he was itching to murder someone.

You're an idiot with no law enforcement training. Talk more shit grandpa, I dealt with that dept on a regular basis and they are fucking douche bag extreme. You seriously are the worst kind of idiot.

:olo: mr expert here.

Don't even bother replying. You have nothing redeeming to say and clearly no real exp in the field. :olo:

Whiskey 7 wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:

OK, I'll bite. Corrections as in jail I suppose? So 'working corrections' implies you were on the right side of the bars :sly: Do tell a little :)

Bad Story.

Had a girl I was working with on medical one night, take over doing rounds. Soon as she did, Guy hung himself. He knew she was too small to get him down. He died. Totally wrecked her for a while.

Kinda funny story.

Had an inmate whos a bit on the nutter side. But in all reality, hes just a mixed up kid who had shitty parents. But whatever. So another CO is fucking with him, trying to get him all riled up. He does, GO figure. Well Kid wants to beat the shit out of this CO.

Hows he get the CO into his cell? Covers his window, Shits on the floor, and literally covers himself head to toe in shit. CO opens the door. Boom. Shit covered crazy guy on the attack.

Needless to say, CO was covered in dudes shit, had to go home get new clothes, whole 9. Inmate who did it? Got a shower and put back in his same cell. Winner.

The whole things a joke though. More so in "Jails" and not prisons. Jails people still get treated like criminals and over 1/2 the jail population isnt even convicted yet. I watched multiple random people get brought in for bullshit, shit that would get "cleared" as soon as "someone could look into it". Which is just long enough for the state to get paid for that inmate being booked in. Its a racket.

Thank fuck im out of that world. Its depressing to think how many people in locked up for jack shit.

But being a CO can be hilarious when you're not a shit head. Most of my days was watching dominos games and bullshitting about terrible rap music. Like I said, I really never had actual issues in my mods. Couple fights, Nothing major. I do wish I had the video footage of the day that a guy walked up on a guy blind, and threw a full blown haymaker. Was really impressive the dude jumped right back up and was ready to wreck the guy. Still didnt get out of control, Guy didnt wanna goto seg and liked the mod he was in.

I worked face to face corrections. I was either alone in a mod/block with 50ish people. Or with 1 other CO on mods with suicide watches/intake. You were in the pit, with everyone. Not up in a box watching monitors.

Eraser wrote:
Seriously though, is it really that bad or is there a huge perception disjoint due to confirmation bias in what people consume on social media related to the subject. I mean, the only cop videos you see are cops being abusive or violent (the majority of the videos) or videos showing the opposite where the cop is usually heralded as "being different" and actually being a cool dude (implying that "good" cops are a rare thing)

''

It really is that bad. Cops far and wide are getting worse in general. Some Depts are trying to clean up the crap but when you're in MERICA land, you get a lot of gun nuts who just wanna shoot things.

Id encourage you to go to parking lots of places like Jails, Police HQs, Etc. Check out the bumper stickers, plate covers, etc. Its all GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS and stickers about "MY FINGERS MY RIFLE RAWR ILL SHOOT U ROAD RAGE" kinda stuff. More so in places like KS and other "good ol boys' states.

My "Trainers" at the jail. Tried to beat it in my head that if they are any color other than white, dont trust them. If they are "in jail" they are "Criminals". "They are lower than human life".

Do you think police training is any different in a lot of places? Really? Hahahahaha. Its the same god damn program. Everyone goes to the same/similar academy down the road.

Now to be fair. I think media coverage is higher, but I've had more bad interactions than good over the last few years. Plus I have noticed that the actual attitude of most of the local cops (city and county) have gone from kinda bad to worse. Theres good cops here, But theres more bad ones these days.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 05:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Should / would / could means complete foresight. Something no one has. Furthermore, you wouldn't know if procedure was or wasn't followed. You have no first hand information, you have zero law enforcement experience and you couldn't possibly know the perceived threat. You're just talking out of your ass.

Of course it's unfortunate more precautions weren't taken. Of course it's unfortunate that someone died. Of course it's unfortunate that things didn't work out better. Thank you Captain Obviously. But scrutinizing police action should be reserved for the people who are actually qualified to do so. Not a bunch of emotionally charged know nothings with zero understanding or appreciation for what it takes to be a law enforcement officer.

This is indeed a tragedy. However, it usually takes tragedy to promote change. "Swatting" is still a relatively new form of assault. Something most agencies wouldn't initially expect and something that challenges current procedure. Hopefully this incident will encourage new training that will help better vet situations where these types of claims are being made.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Should / would / could means complete foresight. Something no one has. Furthermore, you wouldn't know if procedure was or wasn't followed. You have no first hand information, you have zero law enforcement experience and you couldn't possibly know the perceived threat. You're just talking out of your ass.

Of course it's unfortunate more precautions weren't taken. Of course it's unfortunate that someone died. Of course it's unfortunate that things didn't work out better. Thank you Captain Obviously. But scrutinizing police action should be reserved for the people who are actually qualified to do so. Not a bunch of emotionally charged know nothings with zero understanding or appreciation for what it takes to be a law enforcement officer.

This is indeed a tragedy. However, it usually takes tragedy to promote change. "Swatting" is still a relatively new form of assault. Something most agencies wouldn't initially expect and something that challenges current procedure. Hopefully this incident will encourage new training that will help better vet situations where these types of claims are being made.

Read my post you fuck. I worked in law enforcement. You're 100% wrong.

More so since I KNOW THE GOD DAMN DEPT AND HOW THEY WERE TRAINED. Holy shit, Read.

EDIT: This also isnt the first time that dept, or other close depts, have used guns instead of ANY OTHER FORM of stopping someone. Cops in this state, Shoot first. You are beaten into your head that EVERYONE is out to kill you.

You're clueless. :olo:

Last edited by SOAPboy on 01-03-2018 05:34 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 05:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Hopefully this incident will encourage new training that will help better vet situations where these types of claims are being made.

LOL fat chance.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 05:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
You're an idiot with no law enforcement training. Talk more shit grandpa, I dealt with that dept on a regular basis and they are fucking douche bag extreme. You seriously are the worst kind of idiot.

Don't even bother replying. You have nothing redeeming to say and clearly no real exp in the field. :olo:

LOL, fucking tool. You don't have a clue about what or who I know. And you'd be the idiot for thinking you do.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 05:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:

LOL, fucking tool. You don't have a clue about what or who I know. And you'd be the idiot for thinking you do.

:olo:

Again I live here dickbag. You're clueless. :olo:

Cops are super trigger happy here for a lot of reasons other than just pure being pieces of shit like you though. We have super loose gun laws. So long as you're not a felon, you can carry. Our local news had to put a few news stories to tell you if you get pulled over, keep hands on the wheel and don't jerk around at all. Cops here seriously just wanna murder people and now can use that for an excuse (they have, and will again). But what do I know right? :olo:

And holy shit if you're not white here. Just turn on that cell phone camera and go live straight to facebook or something so theres a recording. :olo:

EDIT: Now, I'm not saying things cant be fixed, But giving these cops any benefit at this point isnt worth it. Not with all the bad shootings as of late. This is just another example of some bullshit that went to full tilt before it needed. There was no need to go in there live fire, they could have used tasers, pellets, all kinds of shit before murdering the kid. Same deal with drunko I linked. Shits out of control and we have cops more armed than some military units. Its nuts. Like, Just at the jail you should have seen our "armory". Way more guns than ever possibly needed. Merica

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^^^ Moron Alert :tard:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 06:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

Obviously I'm basing it on the information available in the public domain, I thought that would be apparent. If you have any further info maybe we'll change our position - We have an unarmed innocent man who raised his hands. Could / would and should in these situations should not be a case, there should be procedure in place to protect the public and, like I said, either that procedure wasn't followed OR procedure needs to be changed, both of which being fuck ups by the police. This would also be the case in any line of work, I'm sure you're well aware of a risk assessment.

As for the public scrutinising police action, it is our duty to do so in a lot of circumstances as this is what leads to oversight, not doing so leads to a 'closed ranks' culture with cover ups of police mistakes or misuse of power and I can give you plenty of examples of such, this is how procedure progresses. It doesn't matter if this form of 'assault' is new or not, whenever armed police with the ability to use deadly force attend somewhere they should have a duty of care for the lives of innocents, plus it doesn't take a rocket scientist (through the use of a risk assessment) to determine that the situation they're attending might be the result of false information.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.