Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 07:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He hasn't got a fucking clue. He has no concept of anything out of Florida.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 08:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Boilers aren’t as common here. We have a separate unit for heating (forced air) and we usually heat our water with standalone tanks. There are definitely other systems but it’s probably the most common in modern single family homes.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 09:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
He hasn't got a fucking clue. He has no concept of anything out of Florida.

Look how angry NoBrain is... :olo:

I did ask for confirmation on what type "system" and then clarified "here" as my bases for comment.

Cheer up nerd.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 09:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He’s right though. You assumed 2k was steep. It might’ve been a bargain for his location and type of system. It was short sighted.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
He’s right though. You assumed 2k was steep. It might’ve been a bargain for his location and type of system. It was short sighted.

I assumed it was high based on what we do "here". But I also asked for clarification that still hasn't been provided. If my assumption is incorrect, then it's incorrect. No big deal, sport.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A 315 liter system does seem over sized for a retired couple. But then again, I don't know Whiskey's living situation.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So Gwamps has gone from thinking Whisk was buying a cheap american system to assuming he doesnt need 300+ litres

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 11:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
A 315 liter system does seem over sized for a retired couple.

Why would you assume 315 liter is oversized if its a boiler system and not just being used for hot water?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 11:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i don't think gwamps is familiar with the concept of radiators, hence his confusion

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 12:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
YourGrandpa wrote:
A 315 liter system does seem over sized for a retired couple.

Why would you assume 315 liter is oversized if its a boiler system and not just being used for hot water?

I'm not assuming he has a boiler system. But wouldn't we both be assuming at this point?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hear children squabbling :smirk: so please ensure they take their pills regularly.

losCHUNK wrote:
Aye I realised this which is why I mentioned water tanks, Whisks got a big un too.

:D

shaft wrote:

I understand product/labour prices are proportional to many variables. I recon I paid the going rate here. I know this because last night I had dinner with an old school classmate (of 45 years ago) and so in supporting evidence I will advise that he recently had his hot water system (heater) replaced for near $3K. He even installed a somewhat smaller unit but did have some taps and cisterns serviced. He lives about 200 kilometres (120 miles) south and in a low housing unit where as I a few floors above ground :D

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 01-22-2018 01:40 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what kind of "system" did you get?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

THERMANN brand... Wait .... http://www.thermann.com.au/products/lar ... ic-storage

Note the AU extension on the website

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 02:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last day of the company skitrip.
Office parties usually get pretty crazy but the last few were relatively tame. That has been corrected the last few days :dts:
Fully paid for champagne room access? Sure why not.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 02:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Look a like Gramps was right on both counts.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 02:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Last day of the company skitrip.
Office parties usually get pretty crazy but the last few were relatively tame. That has been corrected the last few days :dts:
Fully paid for champagne room access? Sure why not.

Fingers crossed MKJ :up:

Reminds me somewhat of the day years ago now when word came around the call centre (employed maybe 75 including management) that call traffic would be switched to another national call centre and all staff were to attend a special meeting for a management announcement.

I knew it was bad news when persons I'd never seen before were handing out small boxes of tissues as we entered :( :(

The management news was that the company was closing the entire centre at the end of the month and that we were all redundant. The only good news was that we could apply for a similar job 2 floors down doing much the same work...... :smirk: :smirk:

To Be Continued..............

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 05:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
YourGrandpa wrote:

THERMANN brand... Wait .... http://www.thermann.com.au/products/lar ... ic-storage

Looks like you got taken for a bit... I don't know how many people live in your house. But unless it's 5 or more you don't need a 315 L system. If it's just you and the missus a 160 L would have been more than enough. The prices you are looking at are full retail. I can assure you the contractor's mark-up was 40 to 50%. So the more he sells the more he makes. And to charge you another $1K to install it was icing on the cake. Did the contractor have to pull a permit? Maybe that cost and hassle has a value to you. But you and a friend could have probably done it for around $850 au. Because it's a relatively easy DIY project.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 07:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts YourGrandpa but you may have missed my comments above and inserted below...

Quote:
I understand product/labour prices are proportional to many variables. I recon I paid the going rate here. I know this because last night I had dinner with an old school classmate (of 45 years ago) and so in supporting evidence I will advise that he recently had his hot water system (heater) replaced for near $3K. He even installed a somewhat smaller unit but did have some taps and cisterns serviced. He lives about 200 kilometres (120 miles) south and in a low housing unit where as I a few floors above ground :D

Here we require licensed trades-persons to work on electrical and plumbing installations and unlicensed activity can result in fines and or a court appearance :!:

Look, I appreciate it is could be a easy project to do oneself but for one, I do not have a trade account to buy wholesale and really I do prefer someone else do the work and warranty concerns just maybe........

I hadn't mentioned but the relief valve failed on install and that required a THERMANN company employee to come out and check the valve in situ. He did within 2 hours and replaced it. ** It was faulty!

Goodness knows what he would have done if I'd told him I bought the system and me and my mate installed it. I suggest he would have summoned a plumbing inspector out to my apartment and I would be getting a monetary fine for my troubles and then still require a licensed plumber and electrician to rectify the installation even if nothing appeared amiss.

Maybe one might could get away with dodgy work practices out in the sticks but not in suburbia, here or in the good old US of A. Maybe too if you were au fait with Australian regulations you might understand better, still thanks for your thoughts.

** I asked didn't they check after manufacture and he said no, they are mass produced and the failure rate is low so they don't bother with 'quality' checks :smirk: :smirk:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 04:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you saying you're not allowed to work on your own home in Australia?

The warranty on the water heater would have covered any defects.

That entire explanation, though it might help you feel better about your purchase, doesn't answer the question why you bought such a large water heater.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus Christ.

Putting the screws on Whisk cos he bought a water heater at the going rate :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seems like he was over sold and paid too much...

People are taken advantage of all the time. Especially when it comes to things they might not know much about. That doesn't make Whiskey a bad person. There's also nothing wrong with pointing it out. Knowing is better than being oblivious. And hopefully it helps with future decision.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 08:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aw yes, you’ve been very helpful. Thank you...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

That entire explanation, though it might help you feel better about your purchase, doesn't answer the question why you bought such a large water heater.

1. As I stated, here you need be licensed to work on utilities and I would be committing an offence had I not used proper licensed trades.

2. I always replace 'like for like' as to do otherwise is shortsighted IMO. For example, if I were to sell my apartment a buyer just might see a small system and think there's another cost to replace it.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The regs. for working on your house are pretty strict here too - I guess it's to account for stupid people, not that they'd pay attention to the regulations anyway so it's the rest who get punished. I generally do my own electric work around the house but I wouldn't touch something like my gas boiler because that's a whole new world of prison time if it went wrong.

I work in the utilities sector for a company who amongst other things train/accredit people to install gas/water mains.. not the little ones inside your house, but the big ones that run under the roads and feed entire areas. We train them so this doesn't happen and shutdown half of London for a day ;)-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42783935

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 05:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

Not everything works like rural america where you can build 400sqft on the back of your home in the night and nobody says shit.

And people wonder why we have such shitty houses in places :olo:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 07:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
The regs. for working on your house are pretty strict here too - I guess it's to account for stupid people, not that they'd pay attention to the regulations anyway so it's the rest who get punished. I generally do my own electric work around the house but I wouldn't touch something like my gas boiler because that's a whole new world of prison time if it went wrong.

I work in the utilities sector for a company who amongst other things train/accredit people to install gas/water mains.. not the little ones inside your house, but the big ones that run under the roads and feed entire areas. We train them so this doesn't happen and shutdown half of London for a day ;)-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42783935

Aye, kinda makes sense when you consider the consequences of a gas explosion. There was one around the corner not long back, took out 4/5 houses.

Had a landlord trying to convince me it was fine to fit his gas cooker n all, it wasn't illegal and it was easy. Was like if it's so easy then do it yourself, 'no, no, no'. Prick.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 08:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Aye, kinda makes sense when you consider the consequences........

I worked for the water supply and sewerage utility company here for some years and came to understand and appreciate the need for 'back flow prevention devices'. You can Google if you're interested but the short of it is, these devices prevent you drinking contaminated water.

Imagine this, some ratbag allows dirt, shit, metal fragments or worse to enter the local water supply in the belief they could do their own plumbing. Now you know water pressure normally ensures the water service is supplied in one direction and to your property, but in some circumstances it can flow the other way and this drags the contamination into your supply :eek:

I can also tell you the horror story of a back flow of sewerage into a household toilet because someone thought they could dig and access a main sewer line in their back yard unknown to authorities. It wasn't until routine maintenance months later when a crew were using a very high pressures water blaster (they do) did scheduled cleaning and the head of the 'jetrodder' (like a drill head but emitting high pressure and volumes of water) took a detour feet underground. Pressure built and a massive amount of sewer material sprayed around a household toilet cubical. I didn't see the aftermath but you can well imagine, not a pretty sight.

Say, I did tell the story while of my electrocution didn't I? Wait..... Yes I did back in 2008 so read and weep..

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39022&hilit=electrocution

Examples of why we have and need regulations to prohibit people tampering with utilities, as it should be :!:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 09:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think there are laws like that with public building and multi family dwellings. You're also supposed to get permits and inspections for major work done on your house. Even something like a deck, you're required by law to build it to certain specifications and an inspector has to come out and examine things at certain intervals. The problem is enforcing it or educating people on what they aren't allowed to do in a country with 320 million people.
Things also get caught when you go to buy or sell a property. Professional inspections usually happen then. Especially if a bank is lending you money.

I'd have no problem putting in a water heater, especially an electric one. I plumbed my own gas stove, put in a water softener, framed part of my basement, wired lights and switches. Definitely not rocket science. Especially with youtube at your fingertips nowadays.

I can appreciate laws restricting people from doing these things though, especially in places where houses are older than America itself. The vast majority of homes in the US are probably well under 100yrs old. I would hesitate to do anything if I had an archaic HVAC or didn't think my home wiring was done to code. But wood and drywall and a reasonable expectation of what you will find behind a wall? ezpz.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
1. As I stated, here you need be licensed to work on utilities and I would be committing an offence had I not used proper licensed trades.

2. I always replace 'like for like' as to do otherwise is shortsighted IMO. For example, if I were to sell my apartment a buyer just might see a small system and think there's another cost to replace it.

You have to be a licensed contractor to work on other people's utilities here as well. But if you are a home owner you can work on anything in your own home without licenses. Of course you're supposed to file for permits and get inspections as well. However, multi-family dose have stricter guidelines.

Like for like would make sense if it's justified. Do you live in a 4000 square foot 5 bedroom home? If so, a 315 L water heater makes sense. Otherwise, you're throwing money away. Because potential buyers aren't going to find value in something they don't need.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should also look into getting a time-clock to control your water heater (if you don't already have one). That way you can schedule when it runs. Keeping all of that water hot all day long is unnecessary and can be costly.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Be quiet now.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Go fuck yourself.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 03:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're being a dick. That doesn't make you a bad person, but there's also nothing wrong with pointing it out. Knowing is better than being oblivious and hopefully it will help with future conversations.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It really burns your ass to know that I'm right. But instead of admitting it you angle for dismissal.

Man up, Chump. You don't want to die a spineless pussy. :olo:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 03:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whisks already won because of your myopic world, besides, you just wont let it go.

So hush up now, be a lad.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.