Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-11-2018 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This weekend my son and I installed the front and rear speakers, ran the speaker / RCA cables to the back and installed the wiring for the second battery.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-11-2018 06:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: What is new in your little world?

Monday AM just gone here. I've been doing some housework. I love cleaning especially in the heat, oh and we're having a heat wave here of sorts.

I say of sorts because I am high in an apartment complex by the ocean and we get lovely sea breezes most days :D so temperature predictions don't faze us too much. Poor buggers out west (central Queensland) are copping it :(

Thumbnails here FYI..

Image Image

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-12-2018 11:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I mentioned air conditioning problems earlier herein. Well I was thinking 'endoscopes' as you do and wondered what was out there for the average Joe.

I was a little surprised to find one on ebay that said it could connect to my smart phone :rolleyes: I thought no way, but today the package arrived (from where else) and after some initial teething problems I got this little inspection camera working off my smartphone :eek:

Scary stuff. Like a spy camera it is so small :paranoid: Who would have thought!

Anyway, this is going to allow me to check out the voids in the AC ducting in my ceiling (behind that silver insulation covering) and see if the motors that drive the flap/valves are working or not :up:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 05:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just don't replace your A/C unit with "same / same" if it's larger than 5 tons. :up:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 11:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

finished up an 18ft ceiling in my house

day or so in

sketchup i did before i started

support core made from pine..

putting on poplar exterior...

36 perfectly coped corners of crown. starting a coat of primer..

painted, led wafer lights and haiku smart fan...start to finish was 19days

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks awesome.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 01:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, good job...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 01:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is your house two story, or do you just have vaulted ceilings? Or both?

I really like the way some two story houses look, so I’m mulling over wether that’s what I want when I build. But I plan to die in this house, and I really don’t like the idea of stairs when I’m 80. It’d be a lot of wasted space when I’m older...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Yep, good job...

I was going to say really nice work shaft as it clearly shows impressive carpentry skills. Did you pre-paint the white pieces? That paint work is quality too :up:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

Why did you go with thinner molding around the outside edges? One might think that should be the same width as the pieces returning to the walls?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 05:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why would one think that? I like it the way it is...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 05:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gramps loves nitpicking because he thinks he’s an expert at everything...:rolleyes:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 05:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Is your house two story, or do you just have vaulted ceilings? Or both?

I really like the way some two story houses look, so I’m mulling over wether that’s what I want when I build. But I plan to die in this house, and I really don’t like the idea of stairs when I’m 80. It’d be a lot of wasted space when I’m older...

Two story. I doubt I will live here that long, once my kids move out I will downsize.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 06:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree with Grandma... While the finish looks good, the execution was flawed...

Also... Who buys a house with an unfinished ceiling?... Poor ppl?...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 06:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
xer0s wrote:
Yep, good job...

I was going to say really nice work shaft as it clearly shows impressive carpentry skills. Did you pre-paint the white pieces? That paint work is quality too :up:

Painted it on the ceiling. I built it with pre-primed poplar so I was able to get away just just two coats of bm satin impervo. I would normally spray it but its so high up the brush strokes don't even show. Finishing work is so tedious.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 06:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Why did you go with thinner molding around the outside edges? One might think that should be the same width as the pieces returning to the walls?

I did 3d sketchup models with multiple designs and I preferred this slimmer look. I had to work around the existing light boxes and I was worried about the outer squares looking too small relative to the middle square. I did a mockup with a full perimeter beam to give it a fully coffered look but like i said the outer boxes got to small. I also considered just a single perimeter board that was the same depth of the cross sections like in that 3d model i posted but eventually decided against it. Too me this ended up looking like 4 cross beams with a matching perimeter of crown moulding.

I looked at hundreds of ceilings and one thing I learned is there is no right way, its all personal preference.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 06:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
I agree with Grandma... While the finish looks good, the execution was flawed...

Also... Who buys a house with an unfinished ceiling?... Poor ppl?...

Someone with the time and skill to finish them the way they want?

Also it wasn't "unfinished" i removed the texture before i took that first pic.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-13-2018 10:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the smaller coving, it makes the beams look structural :up:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-14-2018 05:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
I did 3d sketchup models with multiple designs and I preferred this slimmer look. I had to work around the existing light boxes and I was worried about the outer squares looking too small relative to the middle square. I did a mockup with a full perimeter beam to give it a fully coffered look but like i said the outer boxes got to small. I also considered just a single perimeter board that was the same depth of the cross sections like in that 3d model i posted but eventually decided against it. Too me this ended up looking like 4 cross beams with a matching perimeter of crown moulding.

I looked at hundreds of ceilings and one thing I learned is there is no right way, its all personal preference.

As I said, I think the ceiling looks great. It was just something that stood out to me as I looked at it closer. Nothing wrong with it.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-14-2018 10:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
I like the smaller coving, it makes the beams look structural :up:

Thanks, I guess that was I was going for I just didn't articulate myself well.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-14-2018 10:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
shaft wrote:

As I said, I think the ceiling looks great. It was just something that stood out to me as I looked at it closer. Nothing wrong with it.

I understand, just tried to explain my reasoning.

I filled out my original post better with a couple more pics.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 02-14-2018 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only idiots would buy this thing.

Unless you like having FUN! I'm having fun...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-14-2018 10:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: What is new in your little world?

Me, sadly off to a funeral for an old workmate today :tear:
R.I.P. Mel B.

I also fed my fetish for Lego Technic; the two models below that I've been trying to locate for a while. I am so happy I was able to get my hands on them and looking forward to the build :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-15-2018 02:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
R.I.P. Mel B.]

Mel B?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-15-2018 03:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, which is Whiskey? Sporty or Baby?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-15-2018 03:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-15-2018 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck u

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 02-15-2018 12:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Mel B?

Yeah I've been trying to figure out if Mel Brooks died for the last 10 minutes. wtf.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-15-2018 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Mel B?

Forgive my abbreviation for privacy considerations :smirk: I did forget there are others some call 'Mel B' about.

Mel or most called him Mal in our day was an all round good guy. I had forgotten he was a Vietnam veteran in the days Australia went to help the USA out over there. There were lots of stories at he funeral and wake yesterday. One I am having a problem believing in was that he carried the M60 machine gun for the section. Mel was never of large frame. It is just hard to picture.

There was a lovely letter written by a fellow soldier in the same infantry section saying he always felt safe knowing Mel was at his back and he was a forward scout. He mentioned every time he turned around while on on patrol Mel would give a wide smile and the thumbs up. Nice. Cheers Mel.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-15-2018 11:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't imagine any of you fucks are into SF3D Maschinen Krieger, but this is my latest import from Japan. I love this shit.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-15-2018 11:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No clue what it is. Are they Pokeballs with Warhammer figurines insides? :D :paranoid:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-15-2018 11:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Mel B?

Forgive my abbreviation for privacy considerations :smirk: I did forget there are others some call 'Mel B' about.

Mel or most called him Mal in our day was an all round good guy. I had forgotten he was a Vietnam veteran in the days Australia went to help the USA out over there. There were lots of stories at he funeral and wake yesterday. One I am having a problem believing in was that he carried the M60 machine gun for the section. Mel was never of large frame. It is just hard to picture.

There was a lovely letter written by a fellow soldier in the same infantry section saying he always felt safe knowing Mel was at his back and he was a forward scout. He mentioned every time he turned around while on on patrol Mel would give a wide smile and the thumbs up. Nice. Cheers Mel.

Sorry for your loss. Didn't want to seem insensitive with the Mel B pic. It was just the first thing that came to mind

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-16-2018 12:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
No clue what it is. Are they Pokeballs with Warhammer figurines insides? :D :paranoid:

Not far off!

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 02-16-2018 01:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-16-2018 01:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, it really looks like what would happen in nazi germany prevailed and built high tech mechs.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.