Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Temporarily Adopting a dog

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Temporarily Adopting a dog

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 08:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, being the generous retard I am I offered to temporarily adopt a puppy. My good friend, also a fan of quake 3, recently had his appendix rupture and had to undergo emergency surgery. The doctors said his appendix was disintegrated by the time of the operation and he spent the following 3 weeks in hospital. As it happened, he foolishly adopted a border collie 2 days prior to his body deciding it had other plans that did not involve walking a very energetic dog breed.

So.. I've been pondering adopting a dog recently because I wouldn't be a responsible Jeep owner if I didn't have a dog as an excuse to wander into roads less traveled and saw this as an opportunity to get my hands dirty without the actual problem of disposing of a dogs corpse after I've decided dogs aren't that lovable. So are there any dog owners here who might have tips for a new dog owner, albeit temporary, to ease the dog into her new humans home?

If anyone is curious, this is my friend with his old dog on dragons den.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2374044039/

Sadly, Molly passed away last year to cancer :( She was probably one of the smartest dogs I've ever met.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should probably give it food, water and visits outside on a regimented schedule.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 09:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I have that part covered... It's the "Oh I didn't know that'd be a problem" kind of crap I'm wondering about that I might be blind to having not owned a dog...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 10:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dont feed it any chocolate.
srsly.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Make sure the cables and power lines for your electronics are out of reach.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 10:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
dont feed it any chocolate.
srsly.

Noted

Transient wrote:
Make sure the cables and power lines for your electronics are out of reach.

Yeah... I'm going to have to prep the house, I have tons of that all over the place.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't give your dog chicken bones. Or any of these things.
https://www.caninejournal.com/foods-not-to-feed-dog/

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If he's not already trained, give your good friend a head start and get those puppy pee pad things to put under him when he tinkles on the floor. Each time he pees, pick him up and put him and the pad closer and closer to the door where you let/take him outside. He'll learn to associate the pads with going to the bathroom, then the door with the pads, and before you know it, he's whining at the door to be let out and not pissing all over your floor.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a very energetic dog breed. You seem to already know this so I assume you know to get it lots of exercise. Perhaps fetch with a ball.

Also give it good scritches and lots of foopy kisses!

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 08:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I read that last line in a "who's a good boy?" voice...lol

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 08:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dogs are shit machines... Fuck that...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-04-2018 03:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Fortunately she's semi potty trained, apparently still has accidents now and then but will otherwise let you know she wants to go out.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-04-2018 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good girl.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-04-2018 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't like dogs shitting in my yard... And we got 2 acres. u poor ppl with tiny yards, are shit covered morons for owning dogs ... Fuck dogs...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-04-2018 09:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're taking it for a walk, clean up it's poop. People who let their dog shit everywhere without cleaning up are straight up arseholes.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-05-2018 03:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I have been...

Apparently this is also a thing...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 04-08-2018 01:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
If you're taking it for a walk, clean up it's poop. People who let their dog shit everywhere without cleaning up are straight up arseholes.

Seriously. And if you have a yard, Don't let your large dog shit in it for weeks and weeks without cleaning it up. No thats not mud, thats your dogs shit smelling up the back yard.

Thats just the worst. :puke:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.