Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-07-2017 02:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Michiel de Ruyter (known as [i]Admiral[i] outside of the Netherlands)
It's a Dutch movie about the Dutch naval admiral Michiel de Ruyter, focusing mainly on the Dutch-Anglo war during the 17th century. It had a budget of 8 million euros which, for Dutch standards, is pretty high. The movie shows some pretty epic naval battles with decent special effects. Keep in mind that this is a Dutch production with a budget similar to a single Game of Thrones episode so if you can look beyond the sometimes cheesy CGI, it's pretty spectacular.

The acting is decent (although IMO hampered by the fact that most roles are performed by the very small group of capable Dutch actors. Faces are too familiar, but a problem not experienced by non-dutchies) but it's telling that Charles Dance (probably best known now for portraying Tywin Lannister in GoT), who plays English King Charles II delivers the best performance by far.

If you have 2 hours to spare it's a movie worth watching IMO. Naval battles arr always cool and this movie doesn't cut corners by making it take place entirely in the dark (looking at you GoT S07E02 ;))

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 08-07-2017 03:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
The new Aliens movie was pretty good :up:

The first third was really well done and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The final two thirds were a bit disjointed, I thought. The best thing about it was that it made the obscurity of Prometheus less shit by making sense of it.

I don't like that Fassbender engineered the Xenomorph. In my imagination it was always just a well evolved alien species and that's what made it cool, it didn't need to be anything more than that and knowing othewise is kinda disappointing. The Prometheus/Covenant films smack of an excuse to milk the franchise cashcow rather than a good story that needed telling.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-12-2017 10:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Empire Strikes Back: Revisited, is out.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-12-2017 02:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-12-2017 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mission Impossible - 5/10 - i remember this movie being good, but on re-watching i found it's actually surprisingly shit

the way key plot points were explained via clunky dialogue between people who, given their profession, would never need to spell this shit out to each other was a particular high point :|

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-12-2017 03:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up :up:

Oh man it's so good.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-13-2017 12:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was sick for a couple of days so while that sucked big time, it did give me a chance to finally watch Star Wars Rogue One (and I binged on the last few House of Cards eps and S03 of Homeland).

I liked Rogue One better than ep7 but it's still little more than this hollow throwaway flick for me. I loved the idea behind the blind guy though, showing the force was still a thing then for more people than just Vader, the Emperor and Yoda, but besides them, no one knows how to actually control it.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-15-2017 08:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Dunkirk
9/10
Loved it.

I went to the movies this morning and enjoyed Dunkirk start to finish but I would only give it an 8/10.
Still, get the chance go see it :up:

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 08-17-2017 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Dunkirk
9/10
Loved it.

I went to the movies this morning and enjoyed Dunkirk start to finish but I would only give it an 8/10.
Still, get the chance go see it :up:

I think I read something about the volume of the gun shots in the movie getting some flak. It was definitely surprising when the first shots were fired, but I enjoyed it.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-17-2017 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
I think I read something about the volume of the gun shots in the movie getting some flak. It was definitely surprising when the first shots were fired, but I enjoyed it.

I found the STUKA siren screams chilling.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-17-2017 08:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I went to see Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets this morning.
I love a decent sci-fi and this was pretty good IMO. Entertaining at the very least. I was hoping to see in 3D but it doesn't seem to be available about here in that format :smirk: .

Nice surprise, the opening David Bowie song Major Tom and the appearance by Rutger Hauer.

8.5/10

IMDB

A decent review here - https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/07/ ... d-planets/

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-26-2017 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
also, the remastered Stalker comes out next week :up:

10/10 - greatest movie ever (maybe)

never noticed the music playing when the train goes by their house before. they did a great restoring the sound :up:

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 08-26-2017 05:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - 10/10
Amazing in every way. Probably the movie I've watched the most times.

I've gotta check out that remastered Stalker.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-26-2017 06:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alien Covenant 6/10

I'm a fan of Prometheus and wanted more out of this film. But it just wasn't there...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-29-2017 10:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Anyone seen the new Planet of the Apes movie yet? I plan the see later this week.

:smirk: I can't recall seeing a critique here but never mind as I got to see it today and loved ever minute. I am a fan I suppose and the originals still stick in my head so be sure to watch those if you ever get the chance (I bought the box set recently :) )

Two words describe this movie for me and they are really good.

8.5/10

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-30-2017 04:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Alien Covenant 6/10

I'm a fan of Prometheus and wanted more out of this film. But it just wasn't there...

Man, I've been thinking about this movie the past few days and I'm liking it less and less. I really like

the idea of David being the one who created the perfect killing machine alien that we see in all the other movies.

But really, that's the only endearing thing about the film. Aren't these people supposed to be smart? I mean, they're tasked with starting a fucking colony on another planet. They made some pretty fundamental mistakes that would have been caught by any high school kid in a biology class. Really bummed now.

I'm gonna have to change my rating to 5/10...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-30-2017 10:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fundamental mistakes I don't know. In a world of replicants AKA Davids viewpoints, beliefs and certainly knowing just who to trust would be near impossible..

If I were asleep in cryo suspension for years I would need trust my David :!: :!:

As evident in the film

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-31-2017 05:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mechanic resurrection

has jason done anything more shit?

will check the first and forget the third existed

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-31-2017 08:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Southpaw - 6/10

Not bad for a boxing flick, but if you've seen the trailer you've seen the movie.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 09-02-2017 01:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saw Dunkirk in Imax last night, it was nothing short of spectacular :up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 09-18-2017 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IT was brilliant, I haven't had that much fun watching a movie since Mad Max :olo:

Favourite part was the woman in the painting, apparently even Stephen King was freaked out by it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-18-2017 09:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The A-Team (2010). Turned off that shit after 15 minutes it was that bad.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-18-2017 10:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What made you think that would be worth a shot? Was it the great reviews and 47% on rotten tomatoes? Or your love for Bradley Cooper?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-18-2017 12:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GOTG 2 :down:

kill me

wtf was with the neo vs smith fight

plained
plained
PostPosted: 09-18-2017 02:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the Sartana movies

fuck yea!

Last edited by plained on 09-19-2017 03:03 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-18-2017 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ALMighty wrote:
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - 10/10
Amazing in every way. Probably the movie I've watched the most times.

I've gotta check out that remastered Stalker.

You know ALMighty, I have never seen the movie but on the strength of your comment I did locate and intend to watch. Thank you for the comment :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-18-2017 11:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Roger Rabbit remains one of the best live action/cartoon crossover movies of all time.
All hail Zemeckis.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-18-2017 11:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i remember having dreams of jessica

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-19-2017 12:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
What made you think that would be worth a shot? Was it the great reviews and 47% on rotten tomatoes? Or your love for Bradley Cooper?

It was an impulse watch. Saw it under the new releases on Netflix and just hit the play button.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-19-2017 04:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You need to make a playlist with some Grade A movies...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-19-2017 05:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My previous Netflix impulse watch was Children of Men. I was not disappointed that time.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 09-19-2017 08:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
My previous Netflix impulse watch was Children of Men. I was not disappointed that time.

Oh man, great fucking movie.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-19-2017 10:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seinfeld's new standup is on Netflix... I should really take a look at this.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-22-2017 02:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Alien Covenant 6/10

7/10 for me, but what the fuck...

David engineered the black alien? Fuck that noise.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-22-2017 03:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That’s the one thing I like about the movie :paranoid:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.