Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Cane Thumping

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Cane Thumping

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-23-2018 07:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The problem isn't just some men thinking they are owed something. There is a generation of people with that mindset.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-23-2018 07:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That sounds more like your walking cane thumping and/or gross hyperbole.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-23-2018 08:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obsidian, all people born between 1990 and 2000 think the same way. Didn't you know? :rolleyes:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-24-2018 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't mean to insinuate all people of a particular generation. However, we should all know that's statically impossible. But hey, this is Q3W and that's how conversations roll.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-24-2018 10:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So you’re saying it’s not some men, but all men of a generation, but not all? Seriously, where are you going with this?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-24-2018 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not saying it's a male or female state of mind. It's generational.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-24-2018 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No it's not. Baby boomers felt just as much entitlement as millenials. It's just more visible now because of social media giving everyone a voice.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-24-2018 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're wrong. The younger they are the more mislead, disconnected and entitled they become. A lot of thanks can be given to the internet and social media.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-24-2018 08:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uh, you just made my point for me. Even when we agree on something, you can't help but argue. :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 04:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"No it's not" and then "You're wrong" doesn't sound like we agree. You're saying baby boomer felt just as much entitlement as millennials and I say you're wrong. Society has continued to soften over the years encouraging special considerations for the most obscure proclivities with the complete disregard for the impact it will have on the majority. This ill-conceived approach has given way to a next level coddling that recognizes participation trophies, 63 gender identities and the notion we shouldn't experience adversity. Then you have the internet/social media that caters to an unlimited source of individualized, self indulgent, self important instant gratification. All that adds up to the creation of people who are more and more socially inept, unmotivated and unreasonably entitled with the passage of time.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 05:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah yes, we should go back to when racism was standard and women belonged in the kitchen. Maybe bring back old fashion lynchings and slavery. Great argument Gwamps.

In the US, you call yourselves the alt right but in Germany it's called the reason grampa is living in Argentina.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 07:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Leave it to the idiot to completely devolve the conversation.

Predictable indeed. :rolleyes:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 08:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ummm... Are you talking about yourself because the generational thing is something you initially brought up. Wait... forget I asked.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where did I say I wanted the return of racism or sexism?

Nothing like discussing topics from the extreme opposite end. FFS.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 11:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have to agree with Gramps here. Kracus is just talking shit for the sake of talking shit.
Having said that, I also have to agree with Transient. Everyone can have their voice heard these days so that simply amplifies the sentiment.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser, do you have kids? If so, how old?

I have a teenager and I can tell you there is a distinct difference in the way kids/teens socialize now compared to as recent as 10 years ago. They don't want to go out and hang with their friends. They don't want drivers licenses and the associated freedoms. They don't want a job to earn their own money. They are happy being lost in their telephones, Netflix or gaming console. They'd rather "Snap" photos and text over actual conversations. It's this kind of self segregation that is rendering our youth incapable of dealing with challenges or even thinking they have to.

The young people today are far worse, sorry.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For every anecdotal story you can tell which supports your claim, I can tell one that supports mine. Please.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 05:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Please...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 05:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 06:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
............. young people today are far worse, sorry.

My 2 cents: I find quite a number of people simply do not give a hoot about what happened before they were born. They are not 'simple' or have apparent medical reasons for their presentation/attitude.

Example 1. Just watch some of those TV game shows where they ask general knowledge questions where I expect most 20 year plus people should know answers to. There was one the other night where they gave 3 alternative answers to the question, what is another name given to our closest star? A. Sol B. Saturn or C. Scorpio. The silly 20+ year old said Scorpio!! Good grief! She gave a little chuckle and said to the compere, I don't know anything do I.

Another example; I was at the Doctors surgery the other day waiting to get my flu immunization shot. They looked like Mother and son but he was a brute of a man. Stocky figure in fluro/safety work gear and a little muddy; big boots. Look, to be completely honest, he looked 30'ish. They both walked up to the reception staff to say they had arrived and were asked to complete an authorization form. Incredibly this chap said, "Mum will you do this for me?" He didn't appear simple or lacking social skills so to ask that question he left me speechless.

Lastly, taking my morning walk this morning I saw the 20'ish female in gym gear walking towards me absorbed in her mobile phone. I thought for seconds and then veered a little right so as to intersect :D She was so engrossed in her phone and unaware of my course we near collided :D A little chuckle in passing and her eyes went back to the phone :smirk:

I agree with YourGrandpa, young today are happy being lost in their telephones and I find that a little sad.

This 25 year old supposedly upset or angry over being spurned by girls/women goes out to kill a crowd. I wonder :smirk: :disgust:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 07:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Thank you.

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 09:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Eraser, do you have kids? If so, how old?

I have a teenager and I can tell you there is a distinct difference in the way kids/teens socialize now compared to as recent as 10 years ago. They don't want to go out and hang with their friends. They don't want drivers licenses and the associated freedoms. They don't want a job to earn their own money. They are happy being lost in their telephones, Netflix or gaming console. They'd rather "Snap" photos and text over actual conversations. It's this kind of self segregation that is rendering our youth incapable of dealing with challenges or even thinking they have to.

The young people today are far worse, sorry.

To be honest, sounds like old man Gramps again.
Chances are kids aren't interested in a drivers license because there's no real need for it. Chances are that when you were young, driving a car was a real status symbol. You could pick up hot chicks with a car. These days, cars are no longer seen that way.

Kids these days find different ways of communicating. Different ways of having social interactions. This ties back to the car example as well. If you can remotely communicate with your friends, you no longer need a car to drive over to them to be able to talk to them. You disapproving of this is no different than your parents disapproving of the music you listened to when you were a teen.

Also, we should stop blaming our kids for the stuff they do and want. In the end, they are the result of our way of parenting.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 09:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, don't dismiss Transient's comment about anecdotal evidence that easily. Thing is, anecdotal evidence, at best, only tells us something about the relatively tiny subset of teenagers you know. For all we know, this 'problem' could be limited to your own social circles.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 04:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't "disapprove" with kids using the internet or social media. What I take issue with is the immersion and the social issues that are a result. Because it's not just in my social circle. It's everywhere and you know it. We all know it. It's a prevalent problem that doesn't have a measure, partly because of societies addiction as a whole.

Consider your opinion dismissed as well.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 04:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
it's not just in my social circle. It's everywhere and you know it.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 05:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
I don't "disapprove" with kids using the internet or social media. What I take issue with is the immersion and the social issues that are a result. Because it's not just in my social circle. It's everywhere and you know it. We all know it. It's a prevalent problem that doesn't have a measure, partly because of societies addiction as a whole.

That's a bit like the Amish's argument against cars don't you think? You may not like where technology is heading but you can't deny it's shaping the world for the better overall.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
:tard:

Only if...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
That's a bit like the Amish's argument against cars don't you think? You may not like where technology is heading but you can't deny it's shaping the world for the better overall.

No, it's nothing like that at all. I have NO issue with where technology is heading and hindering people from being able to function in a real word environment is not for the better overall.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 07:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How is it hindering people from being able to function? I'm not being cynical here I'm genuinely curious what part of technology is causing a hindrance?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 08:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You mean to tell me you don't understand how limiting your direct interaction with other human beings would hinder your ability function properly in social situations? :disgust:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sure you can see how bad it would be for someone to spend the majority of their life in a bubble where there is nothing but reward and little to no disappointment.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 08:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Except technology, in this case, social media platforms actually do the opposite. They create a way to keep in touch and learn about events happening in your area. They give you a way of meeting people, both online and in real life so I'm not sure what aspect of technology keeps people in a bubble.

I can see how not being able to connect with anyone and having no way of keeping in touch with people might isolate you though. I can see how in the 80's and prior how people would grow up believing whatever their local circles would tell them. How the bible belt would have remained highly conservative and would have been more inclined to be racially biased based on the indoctrination of locals. At least with the advent of social media casting a light on those issues it's easier for young people growing up in areas that have a predominant mindset for certain ideologies to find other ideologies and concepts to consider rather than just what they're told by their parents and authoritarian figures.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Social media sure does offer exposure to a whole different world. If that was the way it was being used. But I think what you're conveniently overlooking is how social media is so customizable and artificially intelligent. Not only does it allow you to block out/not experience things and people you don't like (which EVERYONE does). But it also learns what you like and gears your experience towards what gives you pleasure.

Listen, you'd have to be an IDIOT not to see the damage social media is doing to the physical act of socializing. People don't know how to have face to face conversations. They can't deal with first hand stress or conflict. They no longer know how to process rejection (i.e. 8,000 dating sites). They lack what would be normal compassion for human life, because they lack exposure to actual humans. When people care more about cute puppies and kitties than they do about other humans there's a problem.

To the eternal fuck head: NO this does not apply to EVERYONE, as that is statistically impossible. This is a synopsis of the worsening affect social media has on society.

If you don't agree, that's fine. It's okay for you to be incredibly naive and wrong.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 09:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think you're confusing factual info with something that's just your opinion. At the end of the day, you can't actually show why social media is causing people to not know how to have face to face conversations. You're just saying that it is without any support of what you're saying. That's just conjecture.

What I'm saying isn't my opinion though, social media does make it easier to keep in touch. It does let you know about events happening in your area etc... I'm showing you reasons why it actually helps people meet other people and how it might actually promote face to face conversation. You may disagree with that but you're not really explaining why that is.

I think what's more likely is that shut ins and people that DO have issues talking face to face to other people have other extenuating circumstances that have caused them to grow up this way. Perhaps it was bullying, perhaps it was bad parenting etc... There's literally millions of reasons and hell, social media could even be a culprit if they were bullied on social media! Who knows. However it isn't a new problem and social media is no more responsible than video games are for causing violence.

What you're doing is assigning blame to some new technology because it's easy. It's not a new concept. OMG Rock music is making our kids violent, OMG D&D is the work of the devil and is corrupting our kids. OMG violent TV is making our kids violent. OMG video games etc... it goes on and on and every generation has some new thing to use a scapegoat when really it's the people in charge of teaching kids and helping them grow that are dropping the ball. That doesn't absolve people from being responsible for their actions either but that also doesn't mean there wasn't a problem prior to that, like bad parenting or whatever.

If you let social media convince you to do something terrible you are the problem, not social media. If anything, the Trump scandal that's going on with Cambridge Analytica should be a clear example of don't believe everything you read/see online. We got that hammered into our heads about TV growing up and perhaps we are dropping the ball on that lesson when it comes to the internet. That isn't the internet's fault.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 10:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're an idiot and you're wrong. I'm sure your inability to realize that will get you through.

Have a nice day. :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.