Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-06-2018 04:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm buying this thing...

Seems like a bad idea.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-06-2018 06:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:
cacti and aloe vera love the massive amount of sunlight this place gets.

Ey I got told no direct sunlight for my aloe vera, just like the peace lily. Am I fucking up right here?

The Internet wrote:
Six to eight hours of direct sun is best, although most aloe vera plants will tolerate some light shade or filtered sun at midday. A south- or west-facing outdoor area and slightly sandy soil provide ideal conditions for growing aloe vera, whether in a pot or in the ground.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 06-07-2018 12:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
The Internet wrote:
Six to eight hours of direct sun is best, although most aloe vera plants will tolerate some light shade or filtered sun at midday. A south- or west-facing outdoor area and slightly sandy soil provide ideal conditions for growing aloe vera, whether in a pot or in the ground.

Huh, thanks. That'll translate as a north- or west-facing here and I'll have to dial it down a bit because DAT UV fucking kills everything if you give it too much.

In other news, just went unconditional on a house purchase. Now the proud owner of... a mortgage ;_;

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-07-2018 03:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

without enough sun energy those aloes can develop root rot quite easy

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 06-07-2018 05:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Hey nice to hear from you Giraffe }{unter :) and nice to hear/feel positive vibes. US to Belgium, interesting. The car news is awesome and I must say I like the kitchen renovation and those overhead lights, awesome... You did the renovation yourself?

US to Belgium came a s a surprise offer from work, but hey it's a nice one year experience and I've been here so much lately I'm enjoying it... The kitchen renovation started with a contractor, but he sucked and I fired him and finished it myself.

lars63 wrote:
Amazing Giraffe }{unter, I was just thinking about you today, thinking I hadn't seen you around for a while and here you are,(LOL), good to know your doing so well, sorry to hear about the bathroom leaks, they can be a bitch. Welcome back :)

Thanks ;)

shaft wrote:
I saw your YT chan blowing up a while back, congrats :up:
Nice kitchen, I spy an Ubiquiti Amplifi.

Thanks and yes the Amplifi works pretty good I picked it up because of the Teleport that puts me on my home network via secure VPN from anywhere. Been using that a lot for encryption at coffee shops, hotels and to get my Amazon Prime and Netflix content while in Europe ;)

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 06-07-2018 05:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Last month we moved to a lovely 2-bedroom condo. Amazing views, right next to the lake and High Park, and awesome amenities. I'm also enjoying the daily 30km bike commute :D

Cat approves

Congrats, Just getting done searching for apartments I have to say you nailed a nice find.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 06-07-2018 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For the nearly two years we've lived in our apartment, no one has lived above us, and that finally changed. Century plus old building with creaky wood floors, and neighbors that have the opposite schedule to ours has been pretty miserable. Luckily, there's an open apartment on the top floor that we're checking out today. It's a three bedroom, and we currently have a one bedroom, but I think we're going to go for it. The lady will use one of the rooms as a sewing room, and I'll get an office. Kind of excited :cool:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-07-2018 12:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fingers are crossed here for you here Lieutenant Dan. Good luck.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 06-07-2018 07:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Whiskey. We saw the apartment this morning and loved it. We didn't throw money down yet or anything, but it isn't currently being advertised, and we got the word of the manager that we can have it. We just have to pay the ~250 to balance out the damage deposit with the bigger place, and we'll get the keys early. That'll allow us to paint prior to moving in, and use the last month of our current lease to move our stuff up there before signing a new lease. Even more excited now :smirk:

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 06-08-2018 10:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Thanks Whiskey. We saw the apartment this morning and loved it. We didn't throw money down yet or anything, but it isn't currently being advertised, and we got the word of the manager that we can have it. We just have to pay the ~250 to balance out the damage deposit with the bigger place, and we'll get the keys early. That'll allow us to paint prior to moving in, and use the last month of our current lease to move our stuff up there before signing a new lease. Even more excited now :smirk:

Good luck! that was one of my biggest fears while apartment shopping being miserable in your home sucks.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-08-2018 04:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lieutenant Dan wrote:

It is nice to have an occupancy overlap and by that I mean time to do stuff in the new dig. We were very fortunate on our last move here in that it was an investment rental at the time. We simply didn't put people in when we decided to retire so had some weeks to have trades in to do little things (shelves and cupboard changes) then paint and carpet really at our leisure, just a hour or so drive away too :)
Enjoy Lieutenant Dan :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-08-2018 11:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lovely Autumn weather here so I ventured out to a local street hot rod spectacular and it was indeed spectacular.

Pics....

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

There where hundreds of cars there and originals snaps were resized to 30% for here

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-10-2018 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi. One of the best years on record. Hitting a long road trip to Vancouver, BC (Puffy--what's up), then Alaska, then Washington next week, and some other stuff. Good to hear / see from some of you fellas. It's not distance that separates us, but the lack of constant contact.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-10-2018 03:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Underpants? wrote:
Vancouver, BC (Puffy--what's up)

Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, PuFF lives in downtown Toronto. You're a little bit far for a visit.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-11-2018 03:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had an adventurous weekend. I went dirtbike riding on Saturday and went through a section a little too quick. Smashed the engine block of the bike against some boulders and killed it. It's at the bike shop now so hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg to fix. Then I went for a group ride on Sunday with some friends and the guy with a ducati monster broke down so I wound up towing him back to his house with the truck. Fun times with bikes breaking down!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-11-2018 11:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Installed a RAM X-Grip mount to attach my phone to my bike

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-16-2018 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just got my bike back. I had some powder coating done.
Before

After

Before

After

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-16-2018 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not trying to start shit, but didn't you say you didn't want to spend extra money changing finishes on a bike and would rather buy it like you want it? You just did what I suggested you could do to the chrome that you dismissed. :confused:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-16-2018 06:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't recall that conversation. Certainly context had a lot to do with my comments. I would have preferred to buy my bike the way I have it now and would have liked the current finishes to be factory. Because almost every modification you make adds zero value and some can even devalue the bike. That said, I really liked this bike the way I bought it and even more now.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-17-2018 12:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
Not trying to start shit, but didn't you say you didn't want to spend extra money changing finishes on a bike and would rather buy it like you want it? You just did what I suggested you could do to the chrome that you dismissed. :confused:

I think everyone would rather buy something the way they want to have it rather than having to spend additional money to make it the way you want it? I don't see how one would think otherwise?

Having said that, doing your own customizations really does make the bike something unique and something that really suits your tastes.

And I like the black better. Looks nice :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-17-2018 01:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, I do like the work you've done on the bike YourGrandpa :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-17-2018 07:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been on the hunt for a new car for Lady Carlos - so far its a toss up between a Mini and an Audi A1

The new A1's are out in November, so we might wait to see what sort of deals they have on them before a choice is made. Customer service hasn't been the best given we are looking at chucking a tidy chunk of change at something...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-17-2018 07:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

This

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-17-2018 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

I think everyone would rather buy something the way they want to have it rather than having to spend additional money to make it the way you want it? I don't see how one would think otherwise?

Having said that, doing your own customizations really does make the bike something unique and something that really suits your tastes.

Particularly with Harleys, that's half the fun. Customizing it to make it unique. Granted I haven't really done much with mine other than pegs, mirrors, hand grips, and other small stuff. I will eventually change out the handlebars and may paint it at some point. As far as value, if you decide to sell you can always just toss the stock stuff back on(other than paint or powdercoat obviously).

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-17-2018 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
I don't recall that conversation. Certainly context had a lot to do with my comments. I would have preferred to buy my bike the way I have it now and would have liked the current finishes to be factory. Because almost every modification you make adds zero value and some can even devalue the bike. That said, I really liked this bike the way I bought it and even more now.

This here. Maybe I misunderstood.

YourGrandpa wrote:
Scourge wrote:

It is. And you can always powder coat or replace the chrome with black parts.

Oh, I understand that. But I'd rather get something closer to what I want rather than going through the cost and hassle of tearing the bike apart to powder coat.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-17-2018 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Isn't the Audi a1 the Audi for poor ppl?...I believe it is...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-17-2018 05:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
This here. Maybe I misunderstood.

It is. And you can always powder coat or replace the chrome with black parts.

YourGrandpa wrote:
Oh, I understand that. But I'd rather get something closer to what I want rather than going through the cost and hassle of tearing the bike apart to powder coat.

But I'd still rather get something closer to what I want rather than going through the cost and hassle of tearing the bike apart to powder coat. However, If I've already bought something I like and can't find anything else I like more, well I guess I change what I have.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-17-2018 06:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You said you liked and were considering the Breakout, but it had too much chrome. In that light I had assumed you went with the Fatboy for finish over style. Apparently I made an error in judgement. It just confused me a little when you did what you said you didn't want to do. Carry on. :up:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-18-2018 06:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was considering a Breakout. But decided against getting one for various reasons. One certainly being they were all chromed out. However, I already had something I liked and couldn't find anything I liked more, so I changed what I had. Even though that something I would have preferred not to do.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-18-2018 01:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Been on the hunt for a new car for Lady Carlos - so far its a toss up between a Mini and an Audi A1........

Your mention of Customer service spiked a memory of 12 months ago when I bought my new wheels. My advice, not that you need it, is to shop around. Play one off against the other.

Here it seems there is benefit shopping in the lasts days of any calendar month (sales targets) or the EOFY (end of financial year). That approaches here 30 June. Is it the same over there?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-19-2018 10:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the black as well. Those handlebars tho... I guess not so much a problem in Florida but up here my arm pits would be freezing.

Was it pricy to get painted? I've been thinking of getting a paint job on mine too. I really dig this look.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-19-2018 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My motorcycle's factory paint job is "Denim Black". I didn't change anything about the factory paint job. I had various engine, front end and controls parts Powder Coated. Since I only wanted a few removable pieces done and I had a friend (who owns a shop) do it. It only cost around $1,100.00.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-19-2018 11:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You planning any more changes? I did a fender eliminator on mine last week and I'm already looking for the next thing. I suspect it never ends.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-19-2018 11:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bike3World

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-19-2018 11:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
You planning any more changes? I did a fender eliminator on mine last week and I'm already looking for the next thing. I suspect it never ends.

Maybe a few more cosmetic changes. But nothing major. Ultimately, I want a bigger engine. So I'm going to keep this one for a year or two more and then look for something bigger.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.