Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-23-2017 12:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whaaaaa? But what about the nostromo?

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 09-23-2017 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
seremtan wrote:
also, the remastered Stalker comes out next week :up:

10/10 - greatest movie ever (maybe)

never noticed the music playing when the train goes by their house before. they did a great restoring the sound :up:

One of my all-time favorite movies and filmmakers. I have to re-watch this.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-23-2017 02:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seriously, get the remastered bluray. you won't regret it

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-11-2017 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
...........off to see Blade Runner 2049 soon. I'll be flying solo as my other half just made the comment she wasn't too fussed on 'heavy science fiction' :eek: Seems she finds the sci-fi classics, Dune and 2011 just to name two, hard to sit through :smirk:

Attended today and sat up front to absorb it all and impressed. I am considering a second viewing and that is rare for me soin a few words....what a movie.... all that I expected .... If you haven't and you're thinking, just do it :up:
9.5/10

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 05:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BR2049. Saw it at the BFI IMAX for the full experience

Was really worried this was going to suffer from the "sequels that don't need to be made but we can cash-in on the franchise so we'll make it anyway" syndrome as the original is one of my all time favourite movies.

It's fucking fantastic. 9/10. Visuals are spot on. Story is worth telling and the cast nail it on the money. If you're a fan of the original you'll enjoy it. They didn't over do it and make everything bigger faster stronger longer and brighter. It's very sympathetic to the tech noir mood of the first. The sound is awesome too.

I'm gonna go see it again too Whiskey

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 05:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

going to watch it tomorrow. I'm reservedly excited.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 05:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Mummy (2017)

3/10

Oh dear

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 05:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, what did you expect donny? :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 06:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
The Mummy (2017)

3/10

Oh dear

Isn’t this supposed to be the start of a Monster franchise?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 06:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I seem to remember Universal already tried to kickstart a monster movie franchise to rival Marvel's cinematic universe with The Wolfman starring Benicio Del Toro, but that flopped too.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was due to start on Bride of Frankenstein this week but they canned it :up:

Not a whole lot of disappointment

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
Bride of Frankenstein

damn that's some barrel-scraping right there :|

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 11:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
lol, what did you expect donny? :olo:

I liked the "original" with Rachel Weisz and Brendan Fraser...and the whole Dark Universe thing I thought they might have made an effort.

So, will you be working on The Invisible Man next? :ninja:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 11:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
BR2049. Saw it at the BFI IMAX for the full experience

Was really worried this was going to suffer from the "sequels that don't need to be made but we can cash-in on the franchise so we'll make it anyway" syndrome as the original is one of my all time favourite movies.

It's fucking fantastic. 9/10. Visuals are spot on. Story is worth telling and the cast nail it on the money. If you're a fan of the original you'll enjoy it. They didn't over do it and make everything bigger faster stronger longer and brighter. It's very sympathetic to the tech noir mood of the first. The sound is awesome too.

I'm gonna go see it again too Whiskey

Nice phantasmagoria :up: You've convinced me that I must see it again to cement the experience. Although I did sit closer to the screen than I normally would this view, I'll aim for a bigger screen if I can find one...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-17-2017 09:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blade Runner. lol, no.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-18-2017 07:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:offended:

Why not?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-18-2017 09:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I haven’t heard one bad word about it...:shrug:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-24-2017 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Went to see BR2049 again, it's so fucking good. I'm not surprised it's failing at the box office because the popcorn munching mouth breathers don't know what to make of it, just like the original. Where dem eckzplosuns at bro? This will make its bucks on the slow burn.

Wasn't so keen on the Joi character the first watch but actually, on the second watch, it's a brilliantly composed exploration of an idea and some of the scenes with her are the best in the film.

Sci-Fi done right. They didn't lose their nerve.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-24-2017 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am too off again to see it today on the big screen.

I tried to yesterday and the highway traffic delayed the trip so much so I turned around and came home :( You see, there is one major highway route between where I live and the cinema and because of the delay I just couldn't make the session time. I might add, there are only a few of the large cinema screens about here and I have to drive for near an hour to get there.

EDIT and hours later :smirk:

Yes, I just saw it again on the big screen and with enhanced sound. It was bloody great! The music and visuals are brilliant. I agree completely with the comments above from phantasmagoria. As he said, sci-fi done right.

Luckily for me there were no popcorn munching mouth breathers in the theatre. If you hadn't guessed it by now, you should know I really detest people eating/drinking in cinemas :disgust: >:( Restaurants are for eating in.

I believe I've told the story here of the time a woman next to me in the theatre one day dropped a bloody ice-cream cone in my lap. I was not impressed!

I am still in awe. It is rare for a movie to elicit an emotional response from me and to do it a second time well... No spoiler, just go an see it if you are into sci-fi..

9.5/10

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-26-2017 01:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thor Ragnarok - 8/10

A huge change of tact from Dark World and all the better for it. Brilliant if take it for what it is; do not expect Shakespear and expect to laugh a lot

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 10-28-2017 12:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bladerunner 2049 was fucking great. The ideas explored what it is to be human combined with awesome visuals and sound/music. Without my memories I'm not the person I am now...

Going to watch it again!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-28-2017 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Yes the movie from 1977, a time before some of you were born :smirk:

My Wife made the comment the other day she'd never seen the movie. Later that day I walked in to the DVD shop and picked up a Blu-ray for $15AUD and we watched it last night. It is an oldie for sure but I still wonder how they did it in the days before CGI.

OK, I usually say here, if you haven't seen it you must and so I will :)

Classics deserve at least an 8/10

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-28-2017 10:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

OK, I usually say here, if you haven't seen it you must and so I will :)

Classics deserve at least an 8/10

The ending of that movie is a complete loose acid trip. Not sure what they were on back then.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-29-2017 03:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
The ending of that movie is a complete loose acid trip. Not sure what they were on back then.

I still wonder how they managed all those thousands of lights on the alien mother ship :question:

Oh, I didn't mention but it was the 40th anniversary special edition Blu-ray. Extras added as you'd expect and they have added scenes never before seen (if you believe that sort of thing) .

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-29-2017 11:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

High on Vai.

Close Encounters is an excellent movie btw.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-30-2017 01:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Little green man about four foot two?
But yeah, I think you've got your influences the wrong way around :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-30-2017 01:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not really, twas a joke.
one that rhymes even!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-30-2017 05:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bonus points for your poetic abilities :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-04-2017 01:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

First time viewing last night and I have been meaning to watch for years. Good cast and plot so not too bad at all.
Yea, if you haven't it is worth a view.
7.5/10

IMDB

and Galaxy Quest mentioned elsewhere, in one word brilliant and a simply must see.
9/10

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-04-2017 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

Yes the movie from 1977, a time before some of you were born :smirk:

great movie :up:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-04-2017 03:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Circle. FUCK OFF/10.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-10-2017 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

Quote:
A Mumbai teen reflects on his upbringing in the slums when he is accused of cheating on the Indian Version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?"

Near 10 years old and I had never viewed but someone told me I simply must watch :smirk: Not too bad but a little slow to start. Yes, watchable but the changing levels in the sound (sound effects and speech) proved annoying.
6/10

IMDB

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2017 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Terminator Genisys

Caught this on HDTV and missed the beginning.

Emilia Clarke is great as Sarah Connor. Arnold Schwarzenegger is great as... a machine.

The plot worked, the dialogue was so-so for the most part, it just seemed to be a device to take us to the next action sequence. The bits about time travel were brilliant.

The tension and drama seemed a bit lacking; I think that was probably down to the rubbish speakers on the TV.

The cinematography could have been better; it looked framed-for-TV sometimes.

I really liked the ending.

8/10

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-12-2017 07:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-12-2017 07:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Split 7/10

I thought this was well done. M.Night shows he’s still got it, even though he’s thrown out some duds. I’m anxious to see his next project after the ending of Split...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.