Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Nuisance incoming telephone calls..

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Nuisance incoming telephone calls..

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-20-2018 11:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nuisance incoming telephone calls, how do you deal with them?

I am suffering near 2 daily and yes I know an answer is to simply hang up but they keep calling. I am at the point of disconnecting the landline telephone >:(

Hey, some might reply, you have a landline? I know it's old school but an old telephone service is simple and efficient.

Note I now have 3 mobiles and appreciate this is the future.

Google but I am sure you have :)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-21-2018 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol what

don't you have TPS in Australialand?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-21-2018 12:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is TPS? A call blocking device?

Funny enough, yesterday afternoon we got a call from someone in a very difficult to understand language with a sprinkling of English , trying to sell us a device :smirk: :( :eek: to block nuisance cold callers.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-22-2018 02:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"a device" :olo:

TPS = telephone protection service

you sign up with your number and go on a do-not-call list. here it's illegal to cold call someone on that list

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 09-22-2018 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just fuck off your landline. I haven't had one for 10 years

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-22-2018 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
"a device" :olo:

TPS = telephone protection service

you sign up with your number and go on a do-not-call list. here it's illegal to cold call someone on that list

We are on one here in Australia but the authorities are powerless to prosecute an overseas call centre or business.

Getting rid of the landline is soon phantasmagoria. I am on an ADSL service with about 10Mb download speed. Here in Australia they have been roiling out the National Broadband Network, in essence optic fibre cable in the streets, connecting to equipment boxes on footpaths called Nodes (usually) but being in an apartment complex, looks like we're getting fibre to the building :up: and if we are lucky, before Christmas.

fibre/fiber, centre/center - English/USA :olo:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-24-2018 08:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get rid of landline. On my cell phone if someone calls me and I don't recognize the number I just add it to my auto-reject list. If it's important they'll leave a message. I've had my number for 17 years or something and I probably get one phone call every 10 days :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-25-2018 07:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey, I’m afraid you might have to move. The calls are location based. If you can find a house maybe a couple miles down the road, you might be able to lose the calls. Good luck...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-25-2018 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Whiskey, I’m afraid you might have to move. The calls are location based. If you can find a house maybe a couple miles down the road, you might be able to lose the calls. Good luck...

Move :olo: You funny.

I have an answer of sorts. I will be changing ISP in the months ahead so, if I keep the landline and that appears unlikely, there's a product called 'Call Guardian' available from the new ISP. Apparently it intercepts all I/C calls, they leave a name and then your phone rings and asks if you would like to speak to that caller.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-25-2018 01:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That’s all well and good, but you’ll still be getting a call regardless.

Relocation is the only way out of this mess...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-25-2018 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Disconnection is the ONLY sure option. Next best is a change of number.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.