Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The Facebook Dilemma

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The Facebook Dilemma

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-29-2018 10:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The positive reinforcement of the News Feed is insidious; it appeals to our insecurities. :down:

Last edited by Transient on 10-31-2018 04:14 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-30-2018 08:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is the dilemma? I deleted facebook some ~10 years ago, I never missed it. And I don't think I ever missed anything worthy. It is essentially just a forum where the user ID's are people's real names. People act just as fucking retarded or worse. I think I only ever had it for around 2 years or so. Occasionally I will go visit friends and see them browsing facebook and it looks like the GUI from a fuckin' alien spacecraft compared to how it was when I used it. Considering all the nefarious shit it is now used for (Cambridge Analytica, etc.), and the fact that a significant portion of users are bots or shells for some shady shit, I definitely don't see the appeal anymore. Back when I had it, the only legitimately cool thing about it was organizing parties.

I get the same tired excuse from all my friends who have held on all this time - "it's good for keeping in touch with relatives." Eh, I just email my relatives. Call me fucking old fashioned. If they don't respond then so be it. I don't even think it is possible for you to delete your account anymore... it just deactivates or whatever. I guess it is probably good if you own a business but for people who spend their whole life on it and upload the entirety of their existence to the internet.... :dts: :puke: :puke:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-30-2018 09:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's Facebook's dilemma, not ours. I had an account back then you needed a college email address to sign up, but I rarely used it during college, or even after. I finally deleted it about 7 years ago and I haven't missed anything I really care about. Facebook's dilemma is how to entice me back as a user while still making money.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-30-2018 11:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You said it, it's Facebook's dilemma.

Me, I rarely visit.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-31-2018 02:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol @ ever having a facebook account

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-31-2018 04:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There was certainly a lot of potential squandered.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-31-2018 06:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

haha, guess I should have actually watched the video before commenting. To that I say: fuck facebook's dilemma. Crash and burn, we're better off without it.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-02-2018 11:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately there's no better way to keep in touch with international friends so I just try to use it wisely.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-05-2018 02:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heard of email ?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 11-06-2018 04:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
heard of email ?

I think I used that a few times back in the 90s. :smirk: Now all I use it for is online registering, shopping, and work. With all of its faults, Facebook is just way easier. However, I don't live on it like most people. I'm fine if I don't log in for a few days.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-07-2018 12:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
I'm fine if I don't log in for a few days.

How about a month, 3 months, a year or never?

I don't use social media. I understand some need it to do their business. I don't.
End of the story.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-07-2018 06:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its a tool like any other. I use it to stay aware of when friends go on bike rides or to organize a ride with friends. Placing a taboo on using it is like placing a taboo on a hammer cause you don't like hammers.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 11-07-2018 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
Scourge wrote:
I'm fine if I don't log in for a few days.

How about a month, 3 months, a year or never?

I don't use social media. I understand some need it to do their business. I don't.
End of the story.

It wouldn't be the end of the world. I was fine before Facebook, and I'll be fine after. It's not something I need but I do find it useful and as I said it's tons easier and faster than email. It's the only social media I use. Sometimes I do go a couple of weeks without using it. Not that big of a deal really. It's not an all in or all out deal.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.