Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-26-2018 11:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's one taken after the tiles explosively separated from the concrete slab at about 4 in the afternoon.
NOTE: We're 5 floors up in the building :smirk:

We lost 98% of fixed tiles. They just "let go" so go figure.... When they 'let go' they sounded like rifle shots and I know what they truly sound like...

:dork: these keyboards.. Apologies as off site....

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-27-2018 01:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

forgot to preheat the house eh

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-27-2018 02:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In Australia, even the floor tiles are trying to kill you

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-27-2018 10:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
In Australia, even the floor tiles are trying to kill you

I did laugh out loud Eraser :up:

Quick story..... We came back from a lovely Thai meal out, dinner yesterday. My Aunt and her husband called earlier in the afternoon to say they were about after attending his yearly Air Force reunion at the local Armed Services Club (we call then Returned Services Clubs or the RSL for short).

Reunions, do yo attend?

I do attend reunions, work school and the like as I can because for me at least, it is like a time travel experience and one I say is not to be missed.... Anyway, we are just parking our SUV (you have pictures) under our apartment complex. Catch up now :smirk: Driving down the drive way there were shrieks from all 3 passengers; I was the driver. A large spider appeared on the windscreen or is that windshield for some? All asked in unison, "I hope that is outside". Guess what... It was actually on the inside.

I am not afraid of spiders thankfully so I just calmly said, hang on an I'll get him. Moments later the poor spider was dead meat..

So, about reunions, do you attend?
What of spiders, do they freak you out?

I am operating a dicky keyboard on an old laptop.... Catch up will you :) :D

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-28-2018 04:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't do reunions, I'm also not afraid of spiders but our spiders also can't kill you. One time I was in the shower and felt a large plop on my head with more substance than you'd want to feel in a shower so I quickly swiped at the top of my head. A substantially large spider falls off in the tub, scattering to get away from me I assume but unable to climb the bathtub walls. I'm not one to get the heeby jeebies but that spider got me good, fucking thing was half the size of my palm.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-28-2018 09:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not afraid of spiders but they're nasty nonetheless. I respect spiders because they catch annoying flies and mosquitos for me though :D

I once heard that a single episode of Peppa Pig is banned in Australia because in it, Peppa befriends a (daddy longlegs) spider and Australian authorities don't want kids to get the message that spiders are friendly creatures.

Is that urban legend or can someone confirm?

Edit: guess it's true

Edit edit:
Best sentence in the article:
"The children are then depicted picking the spider up, tucking it into bed and offering it some tea."
How British :D

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-29-2018 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't believe I've heard of Peppa Pig but I am told it is a big thing for some :smirk:

Re: What is new in your little world?
Tilers finished yesterday, grouting and silicone sealing in the late afternoon. Our builder/project manager is there now rehanging doors and we're told they will all fit back no problem. There's little or no change in the floor level even though we used an expensive acoustic adhesive that came from Sydney way. I must Google the product.....

Plumber is yet to attend and refit the toilet and hand-wash pedestal. We have organised cleaners who say (sight unseen mind you) it will take them a day to give it a thorough clean. I wish them luck because there's still quite a lot of fine talcum type dust everywhere even though we had a little time to prepare, sealed drawers and doors even wrapped up our shutters but still, it's a big job in my book.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-02-2018 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I rode in another charity toy drive today.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-02-2018 06:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the video YourGrandpa :up: I especially enjoy seeing the passing scenery.

Is this one I found on YouTube one of yours?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-02-2018 06:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 05:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Serious question - how do you feel driving with no protective clothing in the heat? Saying this as someone who had a family member struck by a car (car at fault) while testing his mate's bike - no protective top, jeans trainers etc.. bad injuries.

One of the guys in your vid seems to just have a short-sleeved shirt on? Gives me the heebie jeebies if I'm honest!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 06:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gramps is a real man. He doesn't dress like a sissy.

I'm a sissy though, so at 30C (86F) I'm still wearing all my gear.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I typically wear jeans, a helmet, boots and leather gloves. I do own a couple riding jackets that I'll wear on long rides or when it's cold. But it's too damn hot to wear a jacket in stop and go rides.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 06:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BTW, boarding the plane to Punta Cana.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-05-2018 04:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stay safe.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-07-2018 12:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

3 months after the event our new tiles are down, place has been cleaned. All that dust :(
Anyway, moving back and in the next days life should return to something like normal.... Then Christmas, the tree, lights and cards are the next challenge :D

We were lucky to score a very close match on the tiles, not perfect but that close you wouldn't notice the difference as they are maybe 2mm (is that a 10th of an inch?) larger.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-07-2018 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
BTW, boarding the plane to Punta Cana.

I had to ask Google, where is Punta Cana?

Looks idyllic and I am sure you'll enjoy YourGrandpa :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-08-2018 06:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glad you didn't get killed Whiskey ;)
A tenth of an inch is about 2.5mm

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-09-2018 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just got back from Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic and thought I'd share a few pics.

Flying in.

The airport. All arriving and departing flights, enter and exit the plane form the tarmac.

The resort and beach.

Santo Domingo.

Last edited by YourGrandpa on 12-12-2018 12:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-09-2018 07:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics YourGrandpa :up:
I did say looks idyllic, guess I was spot on.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-09-2018 08:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The resort, government buildings and monument areas were well kept. Other areas, not so much.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-12-2018 08:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, that beach. Any resort that doesn’t rake the seaweed early every morning is subpar and cheap.

And making a comment about boarding on the tarmac. You can tell Gramps hasn’t done much traveling. It’s ok, his redneck should stay in Florida...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-12-2018 08:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it just me or is Gramps saturating his photos way too much?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 04:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty sure it's just you trying too hard to be edgy.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 05:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Punta Cana looks like Galveston with all that seaweed... :olo: ...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The ocean was particularly rough for several days, which typically causes an excess of seaweed. But I'm pretty sure the water and sand in Galveston looks/is nothing like Punta Cana.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 08:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a nice cheap getaway, I think tortuga bay is probably the nicest spot you could travel to in the dominican republic. That said, any beach in DR probably beats Texas beaches.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

florida beaches are nicer...just stay there next time...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Living in Florida, I can tell you the beaches are pretty nice. But the water and sand in Punta Cana were nicer.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 09:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd love to see a floridian come to the beaches where I'm from. The water is so fucking cold here, even in the dead of summer.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 08:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't imagine why a Floridian would go to the beach in Canada. But stranger things have happened.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canada has beaches?

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Canada has beaches?

Nope. The country with the most coastline in the world has no beaches. Amazing eh?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 01:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A Brit talking about beaches lul

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-15-2018 01:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a Canadian talking about beaches right after another Canadian has admitted that Canada has no beaches lel

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.