So, what games are you playing now?

Open discussion about any topic, as long as you abide by the rules of course!
Don Carlos

Re: So, what games are you playing now?

Post by Don Carlos »

Κracus wrote:You haven't played Red Dead 2.
Not yet

Assassins Creed Origins and Spiderman to play before I buy RDR2
phantasmagoria

Post by phantasmagoria »

Any of you playing Battlefield V?

Man, it's fucking good.
[size=85]
Don Carlos

Post by Don Carlos »

I've never liked the battlefield games and I've tried several different versions now.
SoM

Post by SoM »

Path of Exile Betrayal League

should have seen the boats arriving in Wraeclast with diablo3 refugees :olo:

HUGE content update every 3 months, after 3.5 the 4.0 will be even bigger.

hey psst.. it's free
[color=red][WYD][/color]S[color=red]o[/color]M
Captain

Post by Captain »

Still wading through Witcher 3 on account of it being so massive and trying to finish all side quests on limited time knowing it'll be my one and only playthrough :o

I'm gonna drop everything for Doom Eternal though :drool: :drool: :drool:
Mat Linnett

Post by Mat Linnett »

Any of you bozos playing Hitman 2?
You should be >:E

If you played Hitman 2016, it's basically more of that good stuff. Huge amounts of replayability, and levels where you can play for ten minutes or an hour depending on how you feel like playing.

These levels are definitely some of the most interesting in gaming, playing out like massive and intricate clockwork mechanisms, where you've got to find the best way to break them.
Transient

Post by Transient »

I've recently gotten back into Path of Exile and the next league starts on Friday, so I've been dusting off the cobwebs in anticipation. But Hitman 2 is definitely on my wishlist. I may pick up the version with the previous game if it goes on sale in the next month. :up:
Captain

Post by Captain »

Mat Linnett wrote:Any of you bozos playing Hitman 2?
You should be >:E

If you played Hitman 2016, it's basically more of that good stuff. Huge amounts of replayability, and levels where you can play for ten minutes or an hour depending on how you feel like playing.

These levels are definitely some of the most interesting in gaming, playing out like massive and intricate clockwork mechanisms, where you've got to find the best way to break them.
I saw a gameplay video, basically the player kept throwing coins on the ground and the idiot AI would follow a scripted path to "investigate" the same way every time while the player would walk right by their face.

Exciting.
SoM

Post by SoM »

Transient wrote:I've recently gotten back into Path of Exile and the next league starts on Friday, so I've been dusting off the cobwebs in anticipation. But Hitman 2 is definitely on my wishlist. I may pick up the version with the previous game if it goes on sale in the next month. :up:
whisper me Friday.. SoM

or tell me acc
[color=red][WYD][/color]S[color=red]o[/color]M
Mat Linnett

Post by Mat Linnett »

Captain Mazda wrote:I saw a gameplay video, basically the player kept throwing coins on the ground and the idiot AI would follow a scripted path to "investigate" the same way every time while the player would walk right by their face.

Exciting.
And that's what you get from watching, not playing.
As the player, you'd have to be aware of your surroundings, whether any other NPCs have line of sight on you or your target, whether you should be in the area or not, whether you're wearing the right disguise to be in the area... lots of situational awareness that won't come across to people watching that haven't played the game before.
Most FPS games could be reduced to "I watched a guy move a cursor over another guy and click a button" if you bring it down to that, but as you are fully aware, that's facile in the exteme.
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

I'm also playing through all of Half-Life 2 again :)
vesp

Post by vesp »

I need a new game to play, but with no time to invest in immersing myself in one I just end up going back to old favourites for half an hour at a time.

My eldest on the other hand is getting into some PC games, he (7) likes pinball and Terraria at the moment. He was very impressed that my player visited his world one evening and helped decorate his castle (and left a fancy sword in his weapons chest).
Having to consider a second Steam account soon I think, for a bit of multiplayer action - particularly when he wants to get into Minecraft.. does anyone else do this with their young ones?
edit: so minecraft isn't even on Steam? Shows how much I know these days... :p
Last edited by vesp on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Mat Linnett wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:I saw a gameplay video, basically the player kept throwing coins on the ground and the idiot AI would follow a scripted path to "investigate" the same way every time while the player would walk right by their face.

Exciting.
And that's what you get from watching, not playing.
As the player, you'd have to be aware of your surroundings, whether any other NPCs have line of sight on you or your target, whether you should be in the area or not, whether you're wearing the right disguise to be in the area... lots of situational awareness that won't come across to people watching that haven't played the game before.
Most FPS games could be reduced to "I watched a guy move a cursor over another guy and click a button" if you bring it down to that, but as you are fully aware, that's facile in the exteme.
Eh, I finished Hitman Absolution and the AI was absolute trash. Looks like that hasn't changed one bit and I think that's kind of significant in a game that relies on AI behaviour so much.
Mat Linnett

Post by Mat Linnett »

You do know Absolution is widely regarded as the worst Hitman, and the largest deviation from the formula?
Don Carlos

Post by Don Carlos »

Eraser wrote:I'm also playing through all of Half-Life 2 again :)
Nice :D
Don Carlos

Post by Don Carlos »

Don Carlos wrote:
Κracus wrote:You haven't played Red Dead 2.
Not yet

Assassins Creed Origins and Spiderman to play before I buy RDR2
Im very much enjoying Origins - its massive and full of stuff to do. I have 16 hours into it this week...which is many for me.
Κracus

Post by Κracus »

See I can't stand the AC games anymore, I got bored of the repetitive nature of the game I don't think I've played any of the AC games since the one where they introduced sailing and I haven't finished one of them since AC2. Spiderman is probably similar, I'd like to play it, just to swing around for a bit but I'd probably get bored of it in a week. Even with RDR2 out, I still find myself playing a lot of rocketleague and starcraft 2 these days.
MKJ

Post by MKJ »

vesp wrote:I need a new game to play, but with no time to invest in immersing myself in one I just end up going back to old favourites for half an hour at a time.

My eldest on the other hand is getting into some PC games, he (7) likes pinball and Terraria at the moment. He was very impressed that my player visited his world one evening and helped decorate his castle (and left a fancy sword in his weapons chest).
Having to consider a second Steam account soon I think, for a bit of multiplayer action - particularly when he wants to get into Minecraft.. does anyone else do this with their young ones?
edit: so minecraft isn't even on Steam? Shows how much I know these days... :p
my oldest (of 8) casually plays minecraft from time to time, basically just creative mode. He has friends from school who are obsessed with the game and when they come over he just tags along. He just doesn't seem as interested in the game other than faffing about when he's bored.

We're smashing through Guacamelee in co-op together, he loves it. He has genuine lols over the corny jokes and animations, and the combat system is basically just button mashing.
I'll probably have to do the harder fights alone when we get there... at some point the combat system actually requires you to pay attention.

Meanwhile I gave Dead Cells a go, and I can't seem to put it down. The game is very punishing but the controls are so fluid and fast that you don't care that you have to start over *yet again*.
For those who don't know: Dead Cells is a selfproclaimed "Roguevania', ie a Metroidvania map layout but with Roguelike rules - permadeath, generated maps, exponentially harder each level of the dungeon you enter. The only thing thats retained between deaths are permanent upgrades/abilities (which you buy with collected 'cells' at a vendor between levels) and the increased chance of finding better items each playthrough. An excellent game :up:
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

MKJ wrote:Meanwhile I gave Dead Cells a go, and I can't seem to put it down. The game is very punishing but the controls are so fluid and fast that you don't care that you have to start over *yet again*.
For those who don't know: Dead Cells is a selfproclaimed "Roguevania', ie a Metroidvania map layout but with Roguelike rules - permadeath, generated maps, exponentially harder each level of the dungeon you enter. The only thing thats retained between deaths are permanent upgrades/abilities (which you buy with collected 'cells' at a vendor between levels) and the increased chance of finding better items each playthrough. An excellent game :up:
When I read this I was going like "yeah and I bet it looks like it was made in 1990 in some faux attempt to look "retro".
And I found myself a YouTube video to prove myself right and... well... I don't know what to say.
It does look like a 1990 game in the sense that it's all pixel art but the animations are real smooth, it features modern high quality lighting effects and the SFX all look like they would in a modern game. I actually like their blend of old and new.

Good job chap. Keep enjoying this game as I probably won't because I can't find much enjoyment in roguelikes in general.
Mat Linnett

Post by Mat Linnett »

Yeah, Dead Cells is the good stuff. I bought it in early access a while back, but also recently picked it up for the Switch, and it's a perfect mobile game. Really makes the train commute fly by.

Of course, it's taken a back seat to Diablo 3 on the Switch at the moment, which I think I actually prefer to the PC version. I've been playing the two versions back-to-back to compare, and while inventory management is nowhere near as good as it is on PC, and there's absolutely no point playing Monk as there's no control over where Dashing Strike lands, you gain a lot from the game not being always online.

On top of which, the controls feel snappier. Anyone who's played Diablo 3 on PC will know there are frequent instances where you'll hit a skill key and it won't respond immediately.
Not so on Switch. You press a button, the skill associated with that button immediately triggers. On top of which, you can chord commands so that by holding down buttons, skills continue to cycle.

This all serves to make you feel more connected to the game.

When I initially bought my Switch, I thought I would never be using it for mobile gaming, but now I'm never using it for anything but mobile gaming.
Denz

Post by Denz »

The original Farcry and Serious Sam 3
[img]http://denzii.com/upload/damn.gif[/img]
Don Carlos

Post by Don Carlos »

DENZ!!!!
vesp

Post by vesp »

MKJ wrote:
my oldest (of 8) casually plays minecraft from time to time, basically just creative mode. He has friends from school who are obsessed with the game and when they come over he just tags along. He just doesn't seem as interested in the game other than faffing about when he's bored.

We're smashing through Guacamelee in co-op together, he loves it. He has genuine lols over the corny jokes and animations, and the combat system is basically just button mashing.
I'll probably have to do the harder fights alone when we get there... at some point the combat system actually requires you to pay attention.
:up: yeah that's my experience at the moment, some of the "finesse" just isn't there yet for boss fights etc. If it's 2-player I can usually help him through it, but I do get mocked if I end up dying to the boss as well... (hey I don't get to play as much these days! rusty old thumbs...) He'll play Mario on his DS and our old Wii and is not bad with a controller to be honest... terraria is giving him a bit of trouble learning keyboard/mouse dexterity but he's getting there!
I might give Guacamelee a try it looks quite fun
Denz

Post by Denz »

Don Carlos wrote:DENZ!!!!
Hey!! I thought about this place the other day and sure enough this place is still going strong. I am coming back. I have been gaming a lot but not quake until this morning. Having a blast playing Quake again.
[img]http://denzii.com/upload/damn.gif[/img]
MKJ

Post by MKJ »

not sure how I feel about this :paranoid:

[lvlshot]https://i.postimg.cc/L4ZM0z2Q/Screenshot-2018-12-18-at-14-15-05.png[/lvlshot]