Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        New Textures

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: New Textures

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 12-11-2018 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I created some new textures to be used in Unity, but since they are free, anyone can use them, so I thought I might as well post here.
Unfortunately, I didn't create a 'Quake 4' :q4: version. Sorry for that! :paranoid:
If someone has time and would want to use them, feel free to download them and create shaders for them. You'll need to resize them also since all textures are 2048x2048 in size and have Diffuse, Normalmap, Height, Roughness maps included. One has an additional Emission map.

This is volume 1, I may make more volumes to fit with these if people like them.

If you want to see them all you can go to my Unity store page and check them out.

>Direct download (263MB)

[edit] Some more images:

Last edited by evillair on 12-13-2018 04:41 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-11-2018 02:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Man, I see a thread "new textures" by evillair and for a moment I thought it was 2002 again :ducky:

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 12-11-2018 05:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Man, I see a thread "new textures" by evillair and for a moment I thought it was 2002 again :ducky:

haha, yeah, its been a while :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-11-2018 08:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow it's evil lair =]

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-11-2018 08:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WTF! Did someone drive the DeLorean at 88mph again?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-11-2018 10:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More beautiful texturing work, and extremely generous because such professional quality should certainly earn a tidy profit.

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 12-12-2018 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks LDAsh, they are free like all my textures so no profit for me. :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-12-2018 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your DSI set is still my favorite, but I like all your textures

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 12-12-2018 10:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks AKUTA
I added some better images to my first post.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-12-2018 12:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, that looks hyper realistic :)

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 12-12-2018 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks CZghost!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 01:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What I find interesting is that this set has this typical evillair look to it. Maybe that sounds obvious, but when I saw the textures I thought this is what his Quake 3 textures would've looked like if Quake 3 was a game made today.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 04:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

evillair, looks great, thank you very much! :)

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 04:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess you're right since when I made them I had started them to make a new Quake 3 texture set (the old school way) but decided to stay current.

edit Thanks Obsessed !

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 04:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can convert them to Quake 3 format, right? :)

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 05:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
I can convert them to Quake 3 format, right? :)

Of course! :)
You can use the green channel of the normalmap and the inverted roughness to help remove the flat look.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 05:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 06:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 03:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, thank you :) I'd be able to convert it myself to TarGA, so if Unity supports PNG with alpha channel, you may have leave it in PNG as well :) Although, the textures look really nice, maybe I'll use some in my WIP map Schöna :D Currently, I'm on Sock's Industrial textureset only...

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 07:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My png's didnt save the alpha channels so I used TGA's.
Cool, show screens if you do! :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 03:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What image editor did you use? Photoshop? It should know to save alpha channel in PNG, right?

EDIT: It can't save alpha channel directly, but there is workaround: make the background from TarGA into layer, make the alpha channel into selection and apply a mask from selection to the layer. It will save an alpha channel into PNG. Or, convert TarGA to PNG using a converter.

EDIT2: Yep, it works :) Just use Photoshop's own built in mechanisms to create PNG with alpha channels. If you do not apply the mask before export to PNG, it will preserve the color data in masked areas, so it acts really like an alpha channel. I won't scale the textures, I just make them simpler and convert them to JPEG :)

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 05:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, if you don't need the alpha just use .jpg :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 07:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did it :) Opaque are converted into JPEG to save a little bit of valuable space (I saved it to maximum quality - Photoshop noted it 10 out of 12 points of quality, so you won't notice details loss), and the transparent are both in TGA for Quake 3 and PNG for Quake Live.

Wanna see how it looks? :) Check out this download [ RAR : 50 MB ]
The RAR has around 50 MB. Good thing is that it's compressed. Even with already compressed JPEG files, the original uncompressed files have all together total of 71.1 MB! Good thing is that it's hi-res, so it will look better in the map at close lookup. However, prepare for a slightly bigger mem settings (especially com_hunkmegs). How do you calculate necessary minimum megs settings for a specific map? Because not all map data are loaded into hunkmegs, some are loaded into zonemegs, some into another mem array... Do I have to lookup for lumps data sizes and try to figure out which ones go to where?

I used Photoshop to add in normal map to make it stand out and roughness map to make it stand out even more.
I extracted the green channel from the normal map into grayscale (using channel selector) and applied "Overlay" blending mode to it.
Then I placed in the roughness map, inverted colors and applied "Soft Light" blending mode to it. As it turns out, it looks more natural with "Soft Light" blending mode than with "Overlay".

And as it turns out, I am definitely going to use some in my WIP next map Schöna. Not all, but for the sake, I'm going to install all the textures in to see, how many are going to be used. Some of them are going to be used as textures for some models, I think. Maybe crates?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey evillair, got any tips on how you created those weathering effects - particularly the surface scratches?

Do you use a set of brushes or a layered on texture map or other method? I'm guessing you start with a base layer and then hand painted details in along edges, etc. They look really good.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 09:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Hey evillair, got any tips on how you created those weathering effects - particularly the surface scratches?

Do you use a set of brushes or a layered on texture map or other method? I'm guessing you start with a base layer and then hand painted details in along edges, etc. They look really good.

Since I combined the diffuse, normal and roughness maps together to convert textures to be used in Quake 3, I was able to compare the textures in slideshow and I actually noticed a pattern that is generally the same in these scratches throughout the textures, so definitely layering. I'm not sure about the rusty edges, though, they seem rather random, but yet again I can be fooled by very clever layering. Nevertheless, this texture set is awesome and I love it! :D

EDIT: So rusty edges are also layered.

Last edited by CZghost on 12-14-2018 09:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 09:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost, really cool! looking forward to see them in a map! Thanks!

obsidian, I actually didn't use Photoshop at all for the textures, I used Substance Painter since all the textures were modeled.
Using a bunch of 'smart masks' I was able to build up the texture. I could then save that as a ''smart material' and apply it to all the other textures and tweek them if I needed, like changing the yellow painted areas etc.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 09:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice :) Is the program free or do I need to buy licence to use it? Looks quite super awesome technique to build a texture :) Maybe a lot easier than paint it in Photoshop, right? :D Then just combine the generated images together in Photoshop to create the Quake 3 textures :)

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 10:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They have a 30 day demo you can try, it's basically like photoshop but you see it real time and they have really cool generators that help you out.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 11:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, something to try one day :D :D Substance Painter, huh? Adding to my list of things to try out :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-06-2019 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, Yves.
They look awesome.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-14-2019 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've not written any shaders, but heres a Quake 3 compatible version of these great textures that I threw together real quick

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x6Pvi ... FsXwjudwiq

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-19-2019 06:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndehX wrote:
I've not written any shaders, but heres a Quake 3 compatible version of these great textures that I threw together real quick

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x6Pvi ... FsXwjudwiq

Wow, you just did the same thing as I did :D :D :D Check out my version, too :)

CZghost wrote:
Wanna see how it looks? :) Check out this download [ RAR : 50 MB ]
The RAR has around 50 MB. Good thing is that it's compressed. Even with already compressed JPEG files, the original uncompressed files have all together total of 71.1 MB! Good thing is that it's hi-res, so it will look better in the map at close lookup. However, prepare for a slightly bigger mem settings (especially com_hunkmegs). How do you calculate necessary minimum megs settings for a specific map? Because not all map data are loaded into hunkmegs, some are loaded into zonemegs, some into another mem array... Do I have to lookup for lumps data sizes and try to figure out which ones go to where?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-21-2019 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, I didnt even notice that lol. Mine are all resized down to 512x512, just to save some space and be a little more "quake 3 like"

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 04-21-2019 05:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice work, evillair ;)

Eraser wrote:

I remember back to 2002, thinking of Q3A mappers as godlike at that time .. this is an amazing game. It's nice to see familiar names, and I remember we chatting about you doing this, evillair, so long ago when you were working on map, el3t4. I think that Q3A still has a future, regardless of whether it sits up against where gaming has gone today. This game is still far more entertaining to me, than sitting around playing a lot of other stuff.

Champions is a good idea, but it still just looks like a Q3A mod...ahhha! All of that can be done here.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-22-2019 04:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The problem with games these days, like Champions, is they're not made to last. They're not mod friendly. They're too closed off to the community. Nobody can make maps or mods. All you can do is play the game the way they allow you to. That's it. That's ultimately why games these days have a couple years of life, then they fade into obscurity, to be forgotten.
This is why I keep coming back to games like Quake 1/Quake 3/UT99. Because I can do whatever I want, edit/change whatever I want. I can play the game the way "I" want to play it, not how the big companies like bethesda tell me.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.