Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        How can I load in a model from GTK into a map file

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: How can I load in a model from GTK into a map file

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-16-2018 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to try and load in a model file which is a static character for a map for the Quake 3 engine, the game, is Elite force.

I don't know how to get the object to appear in the GTK radiant I am using.

Thank you.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-16-2018 03:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't know which entities does Elite Force use, but map object models are usually loaded via misc_model entity. Check the game development guides for entities you can use.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-19-2018 03:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I loaded in the md3, but nothing. Could it be that I didn't create a upper, and head md3. Not sure what would go for a lower, I am using an animal model.

I wouldn't know how to animate it or build a skeleton in Milkshape3d.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-19-2018 05:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What? I thought you want to place a map object in a map. Not a player model. What do you exactly want to do? Tell exactly, what is your goal...

EDIT: Are you going to place the model in a map? Or are you creating a character? If the later, don't use Milkshape, use Blender which is far better for animating than Milkshape. Eighter way (if you want to switch or remain, make sure to read some guides to learn basics before you can produce any model. Milkshape needs a Quake Control file to export your model to MD3 first (a text file describing the meshes inside the model and its textures, file extension is *.qc), then when exporting to MD3, it uses this file. If the file is empty, or does not exist, Milkshape has no input data and the eventually created file is empty, containing no data, so it cannot be loaded. Google for Quake 3 character model creation guide for Milkshape if you want to use this editor instead.

I quit using Milkshape, because it's extraordinary difficult to learn and it doesn't let you edit UV coordinates (or the editing of them is VERY painful), so I had to use another software for UV map editing, which name I currently forgot. I'm using Blender now, and it's much easier than Milkshape.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-23-2018 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes I am trying to add in a new file which happens to be an animal, I thought I could simply load in a static model.

As for blender, the file is from blendswap, so I just thought I try this out, there is a qc file, but that was all I did, save as md3 and there was a qc with it, but there is no skeleton or animation for it. I'm not sure what to do.

There is nothing on Milkshape 3d on youtube, everything is pretty much gone for elite force, as for an animal there would need to be a head.md3 and upper, and may be lower, not sure how that could work out.

I have the file here. milkshape one. https://ufile.io/085l6

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-23-2018 02:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think mapmodels can be animated

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-23-2018 07:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You have to specify the texture paths in the *.qc file before exporting the *.md3.

For example a mapmodel with 4 meshes. (4 groups in milkshape)
Code:
// Quake III Arena MD3 control file, generated by MilkShape 3D
//
$model "models/mapobjects/13head/jumppad.md3"
// reference frame
//$frames -1 -1
// frame 1-30
$frames 1 1
$flags 0
$numskins 0

// you can have one or no parent tag

// tags

// meshes (surfaces)
$mesh "spikes"
$skin "textures/skin/surface8.tga"
$flags 0

$mesh "step"
$skin "textures/13head/concrete3b_trim1.tga"
$flags 0

$mesh "cap"
$skin "textures/13head/metb_seam1_support3.tga"
$flags 0

$mesh "trim"
$skin "textures/13head/concrete3b_trim1.tga"
$flags 0

I also noticed:
Your dog is really really tiny. You have to scale the model by factor 30 or bigger.

The texture on one half of the dog is turned inside out. (or outside in, in this case :D)
Turn on "Flat Shaded" and "Draw Backfaces" in the 3D window and look out for the black faces. You have to select them and set: "Face" -> "Reverse Vertex Order".

You may also want to set the texture coordinates correctly by using CTRL+T
It's a good idea to align the dogs body along the magenta axis direction.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-24-2018 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@sst13, tyvm! :cool:

Last edited by Obsessed on 12-27-2018 10:40 PM, edited 1 time in total.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-24-2018 08:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I don't think mapmodels can be animated

Exactly. Map models are static, without animation. An animation you could possibly see (swinging in air) could be done with an entity (func_bobbing, func_pendulum - but beware, pendulum kills player in Q3A), or with shader effect. The model itself is stationary, actually. Only player models are animated.

sst13 wrote:
You have to specify the texture paths in the *.qc file before exporting the *.md3.

Exactly as I pointed out. I just didn't include an example, cuz I don't use Milkshape 3D anymore for a few years...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.