Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Uber Arena (Version 0.2) Test Server

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Uber Arena (Version 0.2) Test Server

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-23-2018 02:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've started a dedicated FFA test server for my in-progress mod Uber Arena. I have made an attempt to forward the necessary ports, but if you are still unable to connect then please let me know.

If you don't know what Uber Arena is, it's a mod designed to take the base gameplay of Quake and add several new gameplay mechanics and items not commonly seen in other arena shooters or mods, with the intention of generating in-depth discussion about how to innovate the standard arena FPS formula while attempting to stray away from the more controversial, fundamental changes seen in Quake Champions.

The server runs on version 0.2 of the mod and you'll need to download it first before playing. You can grab it here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b8BCsN ... yxAHl/view

Documentation for those wanting to know more about Uber Arena:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EWC2Ac ... GOgw7/view

Uber Arena on GitHub:
https://github.com/EmeraldTiger/Uber-Arena

Server address: 47.219.38.45

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-23-2018 10:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You want discussion? Well, contemplate this:
Quake Champions' changes are arguably controversial because they stray too far from what Quake stands for. If you want to innovate in the FPS arena genre, you'll need to take some significant steps away from what Quake was as well, otherwise it can hardly be considered innovation. Especially by picking Quake 3 as a base, you'll end up in the same position Quake Champions is in now.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-23-2018 02:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm loving that trampoline idea... sounds similar to the pogo stick powerup I saw in a mod (for Q2?) ages ago... was good fun! Good work keep it up!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-24-2019 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
You want discussion? Well, contemplate this:
Quake Champions' changes are arguably controversial because they stray too far from what Quake stands for. If you want to innovate in the FPS arena genre, you'll need to take some significant steps away from what Quake was as well, otherwise it can hardly be considered innovation. Especially by picking Quake 3 as a base, you'll end up in the same position Quake Champions is in now.

I understand the point you're coming from. :up: It can definitely be a challenge to convince people to try something new. When I was making the mod I looked at the main reason why people seemed to dislike champions, and most of it seems to stem from the fact that it goes against the principle that all players start out on equal footing upon spawn - champions have different stats, special abilities that are unique to them, etc. This was emphasized as one of the things that separated Quake from other games, so I made sure to stick steadfast to this principle in Uber Arena, so I didn't make the same mistake. Furthermore, with the new mechanics I implemented, I made sure to tie them to some well-established mechanic or play style from the past to show how it all builds upon skills the Quake community has cherished throughout the ages. Uberweapons are just another form of item control, tied to weapons as opposed to armor or the mega health. Uberweapons provide a way for the out-of-control player to fight back against someone with a large stack, the same purpose the smaller / weak armors served in popular duel maps. Item knockback is just player knockback applied to items, etc. In other cases where there was no precedent, I would explain why the mechanic could add more skill that wasn't there before. For example, weapon pouches force players to think more about what weapons to pick up, as opposed to just eating up every weapon that comes their way. Storage Capsule holdable lets a player "capture" an item and save it for a scenario in which it would be most effective.

themuffinman wrote:
I'm loving that trampoline idea... sounds similar to the pogo stick powerup I saw in a mod (for Q2?) ages ago... was good fun! Good work keep it up!

Hey thanks man! Glad you like it. :) Now I'm going to have to do a Google search for that mod, sounds interesting! Really neat how different people will approach an idea, as I was personally thinking of Portal 2's reflection gel when making the trampoline mechanic.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-25-2019 01:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EmeraldTiger wrote:
When I was making the mod I looked at the main reason why people seemed to dislike champions, and most of it seems to stem from the fact that it goes against the principle that all players start out on equal footing upon spawn - champions have different stats, special abilities that are unique to them, etc. This was emphasized as one of the things that separated Quake from other games, so I made sure to stick steadfast to this principle in Uber Arena, so I didn't make the same mistake. Furthermore, with the new mechanics I implemented, I made sure to tie them to some well-established mechanic or play style from the past to show how it all builds upon skills the Quake community has cherished throughout the ages. Uberweapons are just another form of item control, tied to weapons as opposed to armor or the mega health. Uberweapons provide a way for the out-of-control player to fight back against someone with a large stack, the same purpose the smaller / weak armors served in popular duel maps. Item knockback is just player knockback applied to items, etc. In other cases where there was no precedent, I would explain why the mechanic could add more skill that wasn't there before. For example, weapon pouches force players to think more about what weapons to pick up, as opposed to just eating up every weapon that comes their way. Storage Capsule holdable lets a player "capture" an item and save it for a scenario in which it would be most effective.

That's a satisfying answer you gave there. Sounds good. :up:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-14-2019 10:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Especially by picking Quake 3 as a base, you'll end up in the same position Quake Champions is in now.

Well, i don't play Quake Champions just because it does not use parent game as a base. I leveled up to 15lvl (omg wtf :dts: is it really a quake :confused: ) and after uninstalled launcher. One can think "i can do better" , well, why not :?: good luck , but what's the point to use that :q1: in name... Pure marketing? My friend also don't like those changes, he even decided don't buy new PC :sly:
Just downloaded the mod. I was staying long period of time in such mods as ufreeze, alternative weapon, defrag <3

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.