Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Joker

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Joker

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-03-2019 06:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm actually really rather interested in this after seeing that. Phoenix seems to have nailed it in a way that Ledger managed.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-03-2019 06:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don’t understand how they’re trying to work the whole DC universe. They have Leto’s version of Joker in Suicide Squad and now this? Are they not planning on merging all these films/characters at one point like Marvel has done? Plus they’re already rebooting Suicide Squad, but with the same actors...wtf?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-03-2019 06:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This trailer is great though. Looks good :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-03-2019 07:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I don’t understand how they’re trying to work the whole DC universe. They have Leto’s version of Joker in Suicide Squad and now this? Are they not planning on merging all these films/characters at one point like Marvel has done? Plus they’re already rebooting Suicide Squad, but with the same actors...wtf?

Who gives a fuck. People are taking these super hero movies way too seriously. This looks like a great drama about a psychopath that happens to be set in Arkham City, but it might just as well not have been, and that's why this movie looks great. It's interesting on its own merit and not because there's a DC or Marvel sticker slapped on it.

edit:
To add to that, the impression I get is that most super hero films are very much similar to each other. Sure, one movie will try the comedy approach (Deadpool) while the other will try the fan service approach (Justice League) but ultimately, it's all one big pile of crap. I think it's actually interesting to see a different approach to the same genre or "universe" even. Jack Nickolson's joker is quite a different Joker from Heath Ledger's Joker and I think Joaquin Phoenix' Joker will again be quite different from that. I think it's great to see all these different ways of portraying a character and shows artistic creativity is more important than making nerdy DC fans jizz their pants because OMG there's a cameo of character X in character Y's movie :eek:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-03-2019 08:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy shit this looks pfg.
I'm down.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-03-2019 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A lot of the Joker's appeal is that his backstory is nothing but theories, but this looks like it could fit in with the Nolan Dark Knight series and I'm ok with that. Also Phoenix is a serious actor who can carry a film, unlike that turd Leto. I'm seeing this 100% :up:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-03-2019 10:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From a storytelling and entertainment perspective, this looks like it will be a great film. But if you're a big comic book nerd, you may be upset that the mystery of Joker's origins is being revealed. Either way, I'm a bit burnt out on comic book movies and will pass on this one.

Also, Leto is a decent actor (I liked him in Fight Club and Blade Runner 2049), but he's decidedly not the Joker.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-03-2019 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heath Ledger: Yes I liked his Joker but this will be worth a trip to the movie cinema!

Died at 28 years old, January 2008, 11 years ago :eek:

Quote:
His performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight has been hailed as one of the greatest performances in cinema history.

Wiki

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 04-03-2019 10:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-03-2019 01:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

No. This is a standalone film that has no bearing on the wider DC universe. Its entirely detatched, hence I think they have a young Bruce Wayne in the trailer.

Last edited by Don Carlos on 04-03-2019 01:14 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-03-2019 01:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
xer0s wrote:

Who gives a fuck. People are taking these super hero movies way too seriously. This looks like a great drama about a psychopath that happens to be set in Arkham City, but it might just as well not have been, and that's why this movie looks great. It's interesting on its own merit and not because there's a DC or Marvel sticker slapped on it.

edit:
To add to that, the impression I get is that most super hero films are very much similar to each other. Sure, one movie will try the comedy approach (Deadpool) while the other will try the fan service approach (Justice League) but ultimately, it's all one big pile of crap. I think it's actually interesting to see a different approach to the same genre or "universe" even. Jack Nickolson's joker is quite a different Joker from Heath Ledger's Joker and I think Joaquin Phoenix' Joker will again be quite different from that. I think it's great to see all these different ways of portraying a character and shows artistic creativity is more important than making nerdy DC fans jizz their pants because OMG there's a cameo of character X in character Y's movie :eek:

The Marvel films are wonderful escapism; this generations Star Wars, only done en masse because of the wealth of historic material to draw on.

Also it isnt a general drama; the physchopath is well known outside comic fans. The Joker is an iconic screen villan portraid on screen for the last 60 years. And once again the character is so well fleshed out because of its history and media.

You might not want to admit it because it intrigues you as a film, but its a comic book film through and through.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-03-2019 02:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Either way, I'm a bit burnt out on comic book movies and will pass on this one.

:rolleyes:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-03-2019 10:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just had to find one clip...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-02-2021 10:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Transient wrote:
Either way, I'm a bit burnt out on comic book movies and will pass on this one.

:rolleyes:

You're right, this wasn't a comic book movie at all. I finally got around to watching it and it's definitely the best performance since Heath Ledger. :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-03-2021 01:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good lad - excellent film

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-20-2021 07:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just had to watch the clip again :up: and yes, I've seen the movie twice now too.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.