Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-14-2018 03:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was better than the last jedi.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-14-2018 07:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its main problem was that Ridley wanted to tell stories about androids in a film about aliens.

I didn't hate it, it's not like they went off the deep end or tried being too clever, everything just felt so fucking forced.

I was reading comments from him recently saying that in the next Alien movie he wanted to drift away from the Xenos more, cos he gave people more of them in Covenant and it didn't work, so he should do more fascinating stories surrounding AI *slaps face*.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-14-2018 01:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why can’t it be about both? Can’t keep telling the same story over and over. I didn’t mind the twist.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-14-2018 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Oh it had some major shit in there and also had a lot of missed opportunities from what I could see, but there were some good parts to it.

I've got to add I enjoyed it on release, so much so I bought the Blu-ray. On reading these recent comments, I went looking to see if I bought the DVD and there it was in the collection, still wrapped in cellophane. Guess I better watch again. Checked and I gave it a 10 out of 10 in this topic back in May 2017 :eek:

I don't buy many Blu-rays anymore, but I make an effort where I enjoy a theatre version. I note the release for Blade Runner 2049 is two days away. I saw that twice at the movie theatre.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-14-2018 05:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Last Jedi

6/10

Good, not great...

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 01-14-2018 06:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

XTC: This is Pop

I highly recommend this doc if you are a fan of the band or if you are a fan of music and don't know these guys.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 12:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Why can’t it be about both? Can’t keep telling the same story over and over. I didn’t mind the twist.

Basically, the problem is that it gets stuck in the middle. There's no suspense or horror, just tacked on Alien sequences with an under developed Android story. I mean, really, who gives a flying fuck where the Aliens came from ?, and how much time was devoted to explaining it ?, only to have it forced into the narrative with a crowbar and hammer.

I can atleast give Prometheus the credit for trying to be different but this ?, it's just 'meh'.

You're right n all, there's only so many ways you can tell a story and the Alien universe is extremely shallow. They'd be better (imo) to keep the budget low and going straight horror/suspense. People love horrors atm and is a market the franchise can get established. 'Life' did a good job too.

Memph could prolly have a good bite at this n all.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-16-2018 01:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I do! They are not an advanced organism so they had no way of creating and flying a ship...so how did they come to be in the middle of space on a random planet?

I like the fact they are trying to explain where they came from, especially given it goes some way to explaining how there came to be eggs on the ship with the Space Jockey in Alien, is a good thing in my opinion. It makes perfect sense as prequels go.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-16-2018 05:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All that was the worse part of the movies for me :/, apart from the space jockey. I liked it when you just thought they stowed away on ships. All this origin of life stuff wore thin in this movie I thought and they made a hash of it, Promo was retconned too. Couldve been explained away in a few sentences n all.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-16-2018 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
I do! They are not an advanced organism so they had no way of creating and flying a ship...so how did they come to be in the middle of space on a random planet?

I like the fact they are trying to explain where they came from, especially given it goes some way to explaining how there came to be eggs on the ship with the Space Jockey in Alien, is a good thing in my opinion. It makes perfect sense as prequels go.

I am with you Don Carlos :up:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-18-2018 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:

I am with you Don Carlos :up:

Sounds like a good film :cool:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-25-2018 12:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Yea I wanted to see Disaster Artist from the moment it was announced.

that after credit scene :olo:

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-25-2018 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mad Max 3D.

On a VR movie kick. Strap an IMAX to your face and wooooooo

Fun movie. Not fantastic, but decent.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 01-26-2018 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

So where did the fucking eggs come from in Covenant? did David squeeze them from his ass? I HATE that Ridley is trying to explain the xenomorphs. I'm almost as upset as Doombrain is about Star Wars about this. I wish they'd just leave it alone. Part of the menace of the xenos was their mystery, imagination is a powerful tool in the medium of storytelling. Covenant and Prometheus sully that.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-28-2018 01:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:

So where did the fucking eggs come from in Covenant? did David squeeze them from his ass? I HATE that Ridley is trying to explain the xenomorphs. I'm almost as upset as Doombrain is about Star Wars about this. I wish they'd just leave it alone. Part of the menace of the xenos was their mystery, imagination is a powerful tool in the medium of storytelling. Covenant and Prometheus sully that.

Yeah the egg thing is a major bulb thing to do

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-28-2018 02:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They've run out of things to say, that's why.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-28-2018 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but not ways to make shekels :|

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-28-2018 10:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:

Aye, this is what's killing it for me. Also, despite all the ham fisted explanations why did they need the progenitors ?, they didn't, it was just a way to create a wider universe for more movies to sell. I know Alien got criticised for being too 'dumb' on release so I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley wanted to revise his original work like with Bladerunner by making it smarter.

The 1st 2 in the franchise were very simple but effective in what they did, strong characters / focused and effective screenplay with very little world building (what was built was mostly through visuals) made the films what they are and since then it's been stuck with an identity crisis. We're at the point now where Ridley is actually saying there should be less Xenos in the films, in the Alien franchise. It's like having Back to the Future without time travel.

I would say I'm as angry as DB but I think I'm passed it now, resurrection had some promise up until the Ripley clones but the whole franchise is a shadow of itself and has been for a while. Give the keys to someone who gives a shit.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 01-29-2018 01:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched Thor Ragnarok last night. Best Marvel movie since the first Guardians, and I think I may even like it more. Jam-packed full of gags, and Thor actually has some character now.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-31-2018 03:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great film :up:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 02-01-2018 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just finished Ragnarok, yup :up:

the ending.. i just said wtf is that

more pls

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 02-02-2018 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night with the lady. A few uncomfortable scenes, but overall a pretty great movie.

8.5/10

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-03-2018 02:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sicario - 8/10 - Great film, very tense, wonderful score.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-04-2018 10:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blade Runner 2049 - 9/10

They fucking nailed it. Wonderful film.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-05-2018 01:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cloverfield Paradox 6/10
It's entertaining but slightly underwhelming. A lot of the horror-esque stuff (think Event Horizon and you know the drill) just feels forced in there with no real explanation. Where in Event Horizon it was all the work of some unseen evil force (planting it firmly in the realm of fantasy), in Cloverfield Paradox it's attributed to physics, quantum entanglement and God particles. It's just a load of crap if you ask me. The early scenes are properly creepy, but as the movie progresses they just get more and more unoriginal. It all just feels a little lackluster, which is a shame for a movie in this franchise.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-05-2018 03:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Same, called the ending from a mile off. But still nice of NF to drop it on us.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-05-2018 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was alreet like.

Thought 'Life' would've been an awesome prequel, I was so expecting Jakes pod to land next to the statue of liberty.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-06-2018 12:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not seen Cloverfield Paradox yet.. I loved Cloverfield way back when, shame to hear it's being tarnished like this.
JJ Abrams MO innit

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-06-2018 12:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh
Shaun of the Dead
thought I had seen this before, turns out I hadn't. Surprisingly well made, expected more laughs.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-06-2018 01:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
not seen Cloverfield Paradox yet.. I loved Cloverfield way back when, shame to hear it's being tarnished like this.

Asking Doombrain, I guess it still scores about 3 out of 5 last jedis though ;)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-06-2018 06:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah, something that I found somewhat annoying about the movie as well is that all the characters were stereotypes for their nationality.

The Russian was the slightly balding bad guy with a short temper. The German was the technical engineer with a 40's looking haircut and metal framed glasses (think TF2's medic). the Italian was a grizzled, unshaven man. The Chinese woman was the only character that couldn't speak English. The Brazilian dude was a religious man because, you know, there's this big ass statue of Jesus in Brazil. The only thing missing was a Jew counting his money, a Dutch person walking on clogs and a French mute who can only express himself by miming his techno babble.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-06-2018 07:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did it have a Brit drinking tea with bad teeth?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-06-2018 07:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

She has decent teeth.
Then again, she's 50% South African (the actress, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, that is).

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-06-2018 12:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Same, called the ending from a mile off. But still nice of NF to drop it on us.

I need to ask, who is NF?
Is it as below?

Quote:
NF (rapper) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NF_(rapper)

Nathan John Feuerstein known by his stage name NF, is an American rapper, artist and songwriter, who has charted in both the Christian hip hop and mainstream hip hop markets.

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 02-06-2018 01:00 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.