Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Problem with lightmap?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Problem with lightmap?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-16-2019 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi.
I've been facing a problem for some time now. I am working on a large map, in terms of brush count and number of entities and models. I think I have encountered some kind of engine limit, related to lightmaps. This topic will be probably just a tip of the iceberg, with more problems to come, but let’s start slowly and tackle this one first. :P

When I compile a larger chunk of my map, all models behave like there is been a leak (hall of mirrors effect). Same thing happens with certain shaders. No errors in compiler, no errors in game console. I had this before, when I mistakenly put _lightmapscale with some silly value in worldspawn. This time, I’m experimenting with terrain, using ASE models and some alphamod blending. No fancy stuff in worldspawn, I might be even missing some basic entries, as I’m still oblivious when it comes to anything besides geometry.

Can you help me to understand what am I encountering here? I could provide screenshots, but honestly, this thing is hard to capture on static image, as it is more visible when moving around. I can give more info on other stuff (shaders etc.), if needed.

Basic info:
Compiler settings (quick, for testing): BSP -meta -v, VIS -vis -hint -saveprt -v, LIGHT -light -fast -patchshadows -v
Worldspawn: distancecull 20000, _blocksize 4096, ambient 10

Thanks.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-16-2019 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you copy a portion of the map (say, delete half of it and patch the holes) do you still the same issues?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-16-2019 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've deleted one part of it and the problem is gone. Still, I'm working right now on a smaller part of a map, it's less than 2k brushes. It is probably something with lightmaps, since there are several models as cliffs and rocks. I'm not using spawnflags 6 key, but if I do, same problem will happen much quicker - or with even less brushes/models. Is there some sort of lightmap limit in BSP file? Might external lightmaps be a sollution here? I'm seriously worried, as it is only 1/4 of a map, I'd say. I've finished indoor part of it and now I'm working on the outside part. And that meant to be the LIGHTER part of the map, in terms of performance... :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.