Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So, what games are you playing now?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: So, what games are you playing now?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-06-2019 05:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn that sucks, I've been playing it on hard mode. The fights are definitely a challenge, I wouldn't call the gameplay shallow, there's a lot of co-ordinating attacks going on and it's pretty satisfying to watch the ensuing explosions when 2 or 3 javelins work together to take out a group. I have had mine crash to desktop once and it was very annoying when it happened but it loaded me back into the game with my group when I launched it so that was nice. I think it's getting most of its hate because EA which I get but honestly I don't mind them as much these days. With Apex out and now Anthem I'm pretty happy with what they're doing.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-06-2019 06:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Started Thimbleweed Park yesterday - I think I am going to like it :)

Like confirmed

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-06-2019 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Damn that sucks, I've been playing it on hard mode. The fights are definitely a challenge, I wouldn't call the gameplay shallow, there's a lot of co-ordinating attacks going on and it's pretty satisfying to watch the ensuing explosions when 2 or 3 javelins work together to take out a group. I have had mine crash to desktop once and it was very annoying when it happened but it loaded me back into the game with my group when I launched it so that was nice. I think it's getting most of its hate because EA which I get but honestly I don't mind them as much these days. With Apex out and now Anthem I'm pretty happy with what they're doing.

Lore/Story I guess is shallow. Gameplay itself is fine.

Yeah I'm sadly one of those people dealing with BSODs from it. Backed off all overclocks (minus CPU, Fuck you EA if you cant deal with a CPU Overclock. With that said I did back it down a tiny bit to test.), tried 6 different GPU drivers, Tried settings ranging from potato to full. Nothing seems to fix it. Only game that has any issues at all. BF5 with Raytracing and all that? Fine. VR stuff? Fine. Anthem? Nope.

Oh well. The gunplay is fun when it works for me! :D

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-06-2019 09:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anthem was a great $15 game. I feel bad for anyone who paid full price for this hollow shell of a world. Once you've come down from the initial high of the fantastic combat system (ME:Andormeda 2.0) you really start to notice the boring repetitive missions and uninspiring loot.

The main story was short and dull, the dialog choices were a joke. Some of the dialog and characters didn't even match up in the timeline, its like they did a rush chop job on the story to get it out on time. I cant believe they sell an $80 version of this game.

If you want to play it do Origin access, you will have a blast for maybe a week.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-07-2019 01:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Anthem was a great $15 game. I feel bad for anyone who paid full price for this hollow shell of a world. Once you've come down from the initial high of the fantastic combat system (ME:Andormeda 2.0) you really start to notice the boring repetitive missions and uninspiring loot.

The main story was short and dull, the dialog choices were a joke. Some of the dialog and characters didn't even match up in the timeline, its like they did a rush chop job on the story to get it out on time. I cant believe they sell an $80 version of this game.

If you want to play it do Origin access, you will have a blast for maybe a week.

My feelings 100%.

Back to beat saber and apex. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-07-2019 03:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started playing Wolfenstein The New Order because I finally can and had it sitting in my Steam backlog for a loooong time.

It's actually a pretty solid shooter. I like it.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-07-2019 03:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's obvious shaft doesn't have a family...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-25-2019 01:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a new co-op mission in Overwatch.
It's really not as good as the previous two offerings (and I even think Retribution wasn't as good as Uprising). It's a tad boring, to be honest. There's only two big fights in the mission and the enemies are the same as in Retribution, so it feels like they phoned this one in a bit.

I also gave Quake Champions a first go. Only got the F2P version so I've only played as Ranger so far. I'm not entirely sure what to think of it. The gameplay and feel of movement is alright, but the game just lacks any personality. It all feels a bit bland. The weapon design is terrible IMO, character design is so-so (and once the creative skin effects come into play, things start to look like christmas trees with ADHD) and the level design is all a bit same-ey. The levels in Quake 3 all had very distinct looks to them, instantly recognizable. I'm not so sure that's the case with Quake Champions as well.

Additionally, a lot of elements in the game feel like it's a mish-mash of different ideas brought together. It starts with the music. It doesn't feel like the tracks come from the same album, so to speak. It's like it's a greatest hits collection from various artists. It also feels like the game tries a little too hard to be "bad ass" and "gritty". It's doesn't come off very naturally.

Top that off with the typical payments and XP systems and bullshit like that we don't need, and Quake Champions feels a bit like a mess. It's a shame, because the underlying bare bones game mechanics are pretty solid. I did have fun defending the flag with just my super shotgun and a large stack of armor, picking off enemies one by one. I have to add, I haven't used Ranger's special ability even once. I'm not even sure what it does. So these champion specific powers don't appear to play much of a role in the game.

Where Quake 4 multiplayer really felt like it was Quake 3 re-envisioned on a newer engine, Quake Champions comes across like it doesn't really know what it wants to be.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-11-2019 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I fired up my 'Epic Games Launcher' yesterday, first time in ages.

I discovered an Unreal Tournament version I have never seen before or even heard mention ofand gave it a brief go. It just doesn't look like my sort of game.

I then discovered the Fortnite game, apparently all the rage at the moment. One word, colourful! Interesting idea but too much running about for little gain.

I know I gave them both too little time to be fair so will keep that 'launcher' on my desktop for a while.

Re: So, what games are you playing now? Still playing QC & QL with a little Slither here and there :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-11-2019 10:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your description of Fortnite sounds pretty spot on to be honest.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-12-2019 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did a 12-yr old call you a fag and dance on your corpse? That's what I imagine Fortnite to be.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-14-2019 08:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fortnite is alright if you want to master the building techniques in the game. That's basically what makes it stand out from other games. I don't particularly care for it but to each his own.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-14-2019 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shadow Warrior 2. Seems alright so far. About an hour in, so not a lot to go on yet.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 05-21-2019 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wordfeud for the past 8 years lol

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-21-2019 12:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just got my Steam keys for the beta of this game called "Rocket Arena". Yes, I know what you're thinking, it's sacrilege, but hang on.

The game is a 3v3 multiplayer FPS where you can't really die except for getting knocked off of the level. As you take damage, knockback from explosions increase and opponents will try to knock you off the map. Movement looks very dynamic with lots of airtime and special movement abilities including rocket jumps and a form of plasma climbing.
It looks very colorful and cartoony which might be a turn off for some, but I like it.
I hope the movement feels slick and direct. If they nail that, the game might be a lot of fun.

Beta starts the 23rd.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 02:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Would be so much cooler if it didn't look like fortnite.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 02:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dunno if you guys noticed, but Microsoft are currently selling 3 months of Game Pass for £1/$1/€1, so I'm playing State of Decay 2.
Pretty damn good, although quite a steep initial learning curve, where you have to learn to resist the urge to answer every single call for help.
Game Pass works across both XBOne and Windows.

I did buy The Division 2 recently, but after having burned out on Destiny 2 last year, I really can't get in to looter shooters any more. I've gotten to around gear level 497, but just can't be arsed any more. I prefer games with more actual content than repeating the same activities over and over again with slightly higher numbers.
I'm really quite grateful to Destiny 2 for making me resistant to these types of game.

The only game I still play that is remotely similar is Monster Hunter World, but that feels a lot less exploitative and much more engaging.
And, for the most part it doesn't rely on shitty MMO raid style mechanics like party wipe phases to create artificial difficulty. The only time that happens is when fighting Behemoth, the guest monster from Final Fantasy XIV, and that's a shitty fight anyway with rewards that aren't entirely necessary, so can be easily ignored.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 04:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

I think it has bucket loads more character to it than Fortnite.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 05:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I downloaded but haven't played World War Z. Will be trying it out later today and report back. I've heard good things and the videos I've seen of the zombie swarms is what made me buy it. Soooo many godamn zombies, looks like a fun time.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 05:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Κracus wrote:

I think it has bucket loads more character to it than Fortnite.

How'd you get in the beta?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 08:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just signed up. Got an email with Steam key yesterday. I've got a spare key if you want it, plus 2 keys for the Nexon launcher if you prefer to use that for some weird reason.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Just signed up. Got an email with Steam key yesterday. I've got a spare key if you want it, plus 2 keys for the Nexon launcher if you prefer to use that for some weird reason.

yes please

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 08:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Hmm I'm on xbox tho... Probably won't work for me then, you fooled me cause the preview is for xbox :p

Also, world war Z is kinda fun but I can see it getting repetitive. Not being able to be the zombie kinda kills the replay-ability but I'll enjoy the campaign well enough. The zombie swarms are pretty cool tho.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 11:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
Eraser wrote:

yes please

Sent you a Steam key

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-23-2019 03:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I take back what I said about World War Z. There's enough of a challenge there to keep me playing for a while.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 05-23-2019 08:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fell back into playing Red Orchestra 2 with some friends. Can't get enough at the moment.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-23-2019 08:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nevermind this Rocket Arena game. There's no invert mouse option, which makes it unplayable for me

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-24-2019 03:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol I'm sure they'll add it at some point. Besides, you should unlearn that filthy habit.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-25-2019 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

waiting for the new Path of Exile Legion expansion

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 05-25-2019 11:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been playing robo recall again since I picked up a quest. Man the Quest is so nice. Seriously recommend it.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-26-2019 10:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is Below worth a look?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-20-2019 06:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Played a bit of Last Day of June. It's a nice little game. It's more about the story than the actual gameplay. The awesomest thing about it is that the music is done by Steven Wilson and features songs from his "The Raven That Refused To Sing" album.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-20-2019 07:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday...so far it's ok

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-20-2019 07:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Slowly progressing through Far Cry 4 now to clear a backlog of unplayed games from years ago :(

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-20-2019 08:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Is Below worth a look?

played it for a few hours... I thought the premise was more interesting than the actual game.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.